Whats One Thing You Hated About School?

GracieGirl

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Oh! I thought JTT was a girl! Opps! I'm sorry!

Anyway, he's helped me alot before with another question. Better than my teacher did
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:35 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

What riot?
The ones in England.

GracieGirl wrote:
And why would they want her clothes?
The rioters were making the Englishmen (both genders, adults n children) strip naked in the streets,
to embarras them and/or to get the clothes to sell them or maybe to wear them.

David
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:42 pm
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
Can I PM you some questions? Would that be okay? Or would you rather the thread?

Ask away anytime, Gracie.

I think that an open thread would be the best policy, Gracie. That way people like OmSigDavid could also learn a bit about English grammar. You should start a new thread in the English/Grammar Forums.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:42 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
Oh! I thought JTT was a girl! Opps! I'm sorry!
Maybe.

GracieGirl wrote:
Anyway, he's helped me alot before with another question. Better than my teacher did
English grammar is very logical; not 1OO%, but still very logical, with some exceptions.

If u rely on JTT, u might well flunk your tests
because he or she rejects logic in grammar.
Your teacher 'd not approve of JTT.
His posts, for YEARS, have expressed contempt n disdain for the logic of grammar.

JTT is anti-logic.

JTT also hates America and says so.

David
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
A veritable bouquet of lies, Dave. Did you ever get disbarred for lying?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 08:49 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
A veritable bouquet of lies, Dave.
Did you ever get disbarred for lying?
No.
JTT, please tell Gracie whether u accept the established rules of English grammar, or not
(bearing in mind that your prior posts can be found and offered in evidence against u).

David
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 09:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
jtt: Did you ever get disbarred for lying?

Quote:
OmSig: No.

Well, you are sneaky and deceptive so I guess you were able to wiggle your way out of that.

Quote:
JTT, please tell Gracie whether u accept the established rules of English grammar, or not
(bearing in mind that your prior posts can be found and offered in evidence against u).

Of course I accept the established rules of English, Dave. I not only accept them, I promulgate them far and wide. I've spent a number of years here at A2K educating those who were ignorant of the very rules you speak of.

Please feel free to discuss any issue you want on English and the grammar of English. But do start a new thread for those, okay?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 09:09 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
jtt: Did you ever get disbarred for lying?
Quote:
OmSig: No.

JTT wrote:
Well, you are sneaky and deceptive so I guess you were able to wiggle your way out of that.
Those are lies or hallucinations, J.

Quote:

JTT wrote:
Of course I accept the established rules of English, Dave. I not only accept them, I promulgate them far and wide. I've spent a number of years here at A2K educating those who were ignorant of the very rules you speak of. Please feel free to discuss any issue you want on English and the grammar of English. But do start a new thread for those, okay?
More lies or hallucinations from JTT.

David
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 09:15 pm
@JTT,
Whoa. You guys really don't like each other huh? Why are you fussing about language and grammar. It's not that big a deal guys. Who argues about educational stuff? LoL! Mr. Green Laughing Laughing

I bet deep down you guys love each other! You remind me of my grandparents when my grandpa's been drinking. Hahaha! Mr. Green Drunk
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 09:26 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
Whoa. You guys really don't like each other huh? Why are you fussing about language and grammar. It's not that big a deal guys. Who argues about educational stuff? LoL! Mr. Green Laughing Laughing

I bet deep down you guys love each other! You remind me of my grandparents when my grandpa's been drinking. Hahaha! Mr. Green Drunk
Sometimes we get along better than others. It does not matter much.
I had him on Ignore for quite a long time because of his rejection of logic concerning grammar, but I let him out.

He is energetically anti-logical.
I have pointed out to him (or her)
that man rose to the top of the food chain
by the correct application of logic and tools (weapons).
That is better than being in the middle of the food chain.

David
GracieGirl

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 09:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
So what if she's anti logic (whatever that means). Why does it bother you soo much? It's just language. Everybody speaks and writes different. Dont sweat the small stuff. That's what Pemerson told me once. LoL. I like you and JTT alot. You both are nice to me and have said alot of interesting stuff on my threads. I've learned alot from both of ya. I don't care how you write or talk.
Ur both purrty kool 2 mi! Hahaha! Very Happy
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 12:50 am
@GracieGirl,
Quote:
(jealous sigh) I wish I had your high school experience! Haha!

I don't know. Schools okay sometimes. I have some really good friends and they look out for me because they're older and everything but I still get picked on every now and then. I know it's not as bad as what some kids go through but it's still hurtful and it sucks bigtime. And everybody pushes too much in high school. The teachers seem to expect me to know everything just because I skipped a couple grades. One teacher in particular actually, he seems to love to call on me when he knows that I don't know the answer and then makes some stupid comment when I say the wrong thing. And my dads always dissapionted when I make anything less than a B. And my twin sister had a higher GPA than me last year so I kinda feel competitive about it , ya know. She seems to do better than me in everything all of a sudden. It's really annoying and frustrating and I just HATE school!

Well, atleast I got that off my chest. Sorry, I had to vent

You skipped a COUPLE of grades?! When-as in, how old were you when you were accelerated through these grades? What grades did you skip?

I don't blame you for feeling pushed. I think I would have found that incredibly hard and disruptive on a lot of levels - but especially socially.

I think the reason school was a good experience for me was because age wise and size wise I was right in the middle of my peer group and so emotionally, socially, academically and in every other way I fit right in.
I wasn't the smartest person in the class - this kid named Lloyd was and everyone knew it - but I was up there in the rankings enough to feel competent and good about myself without being labeled a 'nerd' or a 'geek' like poor Lloyd was. But more power to him - he was presenting papers on aerodynamics to NASA when he was in highschool. Lord only knows what he went on to do.

Gracie - every time you tell me another story - I am amazed. Our experiences in some ways are so similar. I didn't have a twin sister, but I had a sister who is seventeen months younger than me, so she was in the grade below me. Her name is Sarah and she was just a different personality than me.
I was (and still am) sort of fun-loving and relaxed and she was and still is really, really, really responsible and yeah - sort of rigid. To give you an example, today I'm going to a blue's festival and I just got an e-mail from her in which she told me she's going to the work day at her church Very Happy'

Again - more power to her - but I couldn't spend my Saturday like that after working all week and she does and has her entire life.
Well, even though she was younger, she was bigger-boned and everyone always thought we were twins because we were about the same size and we both had really, really dark-brown - almost black hair and we both wore glasses.
And as my father used to love to remind me - we were both equal in intelligence - only Sarah ALWAYS atudied and worked, worked, worked hard enough to make straight A's whereas I was happy to get a B now and then if it meant I could have some fun on the side as well.
He'd say, 'You're just as smart as Sarah - she just works harder. You could get the grades she gets...'
I'd say, 'I don't want the grade she gets because I don't want the life she wants- I'm happy with my grades and my life.'
And even though she was the same age as her peers, she had a hard time socially. She was/is a REALLY nice person, but she sort of intimidated people because everyone could see how smart she was. I remember being at the drive-in once and I was talking to this guy who was in her year/class and he said, 'You're Sarah's sister? and when I told him I was he said, 'She seems alright, but she's so damn smart she makes the rest of us look like a bunch of monkeys.'
She set the standard in every class and the teachers always held her up as an example. I think this set her apart and made socializing harder for her.
It was the same way for Lloyd - I remember that.

I mean - I graduated with a 3.7- and she graduated with a 4.0. I got lots of respect for her in a lot of ways - but I couldn't BE her!
So I didn't even compete.
My senior year - we were in the same French, math and science classes. She did better than I did in Science and I did better than she did in French. We were about equal in Math.
But my senior year I took Ancient Studies, Medival Life and Lit and pottery (a bunch of electives I was interested in) and she took ANOTHER year of math and science.
More power to her. She got into the college she wanted to and so did I. She's had a good life and so have I. She's a school social worker now. I'm a teacher.
She studied harder - and got what she needed that way. I had fun and got what I needed that way.

I'm so glad I was a kid when I was. I think the competitive 'you have to be the best in every way in every aspect of your life' bullshit they feed kids now is about 1,000 times worse than it was when I was a kid.
And I think it's horrible and damaging.

Good luck to you Gracie. I'll be pulling for you - not to WIN and BE PERFECT - but to be HAPPY.
msolga

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 01:25 am
@aidan,
Quote:
You skipped a COUPLE of grades?! When-as in, how old were you when you were accelerated through these grades? What grades did you skip?

Yes, I'd be interested to know, too, Gracie.
So, at 13 years old now, which grades did you jump?

That is very unusual.

And without going into too many specific details (to protect your identity) : which state of the US (I think you're in the US, yes?) is your school located?
msolga

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:07 am
@msolga,
Quote:
That is very unusual.

I case you wonder why I'm asking, Gracie ....
I'm a teacher in Australia & jumping two grades is pretty much unheard of.
How does it happen where you live?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 03:05 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I'm a teacher in Australia & jumping two grades is pretty much unheard of.

What about kangaroos?
Roberta

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 04:58 am
Way back in the day when I was in school, I was supposed to skip two grades. In the middle of the school year, the school administration decided that kids born after a certain date would be too young to skip two years. I was taken out of the special class and put into a regular class. I skipped the eighth grade. Woulda skipped fifth and eighth.

I was annoyed at the time (and bored out of my skull in a regular class), but they were right to do that. I was sixteen when I started college. Too young. Fifteen would have been far worse.
msolga

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 05:46 am
@izzythepush,
Well they're different. Laughing
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 07:40 am
@aidan,
Yeah, I skipped two grades. I skipped kindergarten, so I was 5 in 1st grade. Then I skipped 3rd grade, so I was 7 in 4th grade. Now I'm 13 and I'm a sophomore in high school but I'm taking English III which is a 11th grade class. So I'm 3 years younger than some of the kids in my English class but about 2 years younger than everyone else in my other classes. I'm actually in my brothers English class! He's 16 and he HATE's it! Haha! I live in California.

Sometimes schools great and sometimes it really really really sucks. And my dad doesn't get anything. I'm tired of trying to talk to him about it. He never really listens anyway.

And yeah! We are alot alike huh? That's why I like talking to you! You always get it! Very Happy

Your sister Sarah is kinda like my sister Lissa except Lissa isn't really rigid and she does like to have fun. Lissa's always been more popular and talkative and she always had my friends. I was kinda a tag along. In middle school I was always "Lissa's twin" ya know? I never had alot of friends of my own. I just hung out with Lissa and her friends. I was always the smart one. Lissa was smart but not as smart as I was and I liked it because that meant I was better than her at something, ya know?

But in 9th grade last year Lissa started making better grades AND she has alot of friends. It's not fair. I made alot of friends last year. I mean, I'm not shy at home. When I'm home I'm loud and crazy and I'm always getting in trouble. But I just didn't know anyone at school. But last year I met a couple of my own friends and we started hanging out and stuff and I'm not shy anymore. I'm just like I am when I'm home. But anyway, when I started making my own friends me and Lissa kinda went our separate ways I guess. She was different over the summer. Going to parties and not inviting me, sneaking out the house and now she has a boyfriend! He's 16 and my dad would kill her if he found out! She didn't even tell me about him. We use to tell each other everything. She use to be my bestfriend. But now I hate her. And my dad hasn't noticed anything. He treats Lissa like a freaking angel and my dad says the same things your dad says. He always says stuff like "Gracie, you can make the same grades as your sister if you just focus and work hard." But I did work hard last year and Lissa still did better than me! And you'd think that last year she'd get picked on too. Nope! Last year when we were in the cafeteria at lunch time my sister was doing Geometry and I was sitting next to her with my head down on the table (I wasn't feeling well) and some guy walked over and he was like 'give it a rest you little nerd' (something like that) and he snatched the book away from her. She said 'Oh! You must mean my sister' or something like that. Then she laughed and I just got up and walked away. I know she was probably kidding but it was still mean. She does stuff like that alot now. Everytime I talk to her we end up fighting. I hate her.
(More venting) I'm in a really bad mood. Sad

Thanks aidan! That really really means alot to me. Very Happy
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 07:42 am
@msolga,
Australia! That's really awesome!

But yeah, I answered all your questions while I answered Aidan. Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 09:46 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Good morning, Dave. Seems that your promises don't mean a whole lot. As I recall you said, yesterday I think it was, that you would get to those issues that you also promised, as far back as May 2011, to deal with.

You asked for a link, I gave it to you.

What is it this time - you fell asleep in your rocker; the bar association called and asked you to rewrite the Constitution; you got hungry and ate until you fell asleep; your dog ate your comments; ... ?
0 Replies