Are undetermined infections growing?

Linkat

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 06:52 pm
I've recently known two children - one 9 and one 14 that has been hospitalized and operated on due to undetermined infections.

Both were normal healthy children that all of a sudden got sick and mis-diagnosed with something else. Then as their symptons got worse and ended up being rushed to the hospital were later determined to have some sort of infection where they needed to be operated on and then a good amount of recovery.

Anyone experience this? Is this growing? I honestly do not remember this happening to kids before..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 911 • Replies: 15

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 06:54 pm
@Linkat,
Yikes, scary.

Not here, no (knock on wood).
Linkat

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 07:00 pm
@sozobe,
It happened toward the end of the school year to an 8th grader - it impacted her arm. I don't think they ever determined what caused it, but she was operated on and was on antibiotics for a while.

My niece was complaining of feeling sick and her ankle hurt - she went to the doctor and they said she sprained her ankle. The next night, she woke screaming in pain. They brought her to a local hospital and had a dozen doctors trying to determine what happened to her. They sent her to a bigger children's hospital in the city - they determined she had an infection and had to operate. I saw her today and she is on IV and cannot walk on her leg. She is hopefully going home in the next day or so - but they need to do further tests and most likely will also be on antibiotics for a while.

Just scary stuff - as I don't remember anything like this and seeing two girls in a short period of time going through similar things I wonder. I also read in the newspaper- now granted this had to do with some sort of amebia - a young dying from an infection.
Linkat

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 07:01 pm
@Linkat,
And my friend's boy - 9 years old was in the hospital last week - due to an undetermined virus.

Maybe kids should just be staying away from me?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 07:33 pm
Maybe everyone needs to wash their hands more.

Were these mersa infections?

Linkat

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 07:52 pm
@PUNKEY,
Not sure - some of the treatment though sounds like how you treat these sorts of infections, however, the doctors were asking lots of questions - like do you have pets - and where have you been traveling - they do not know the source of the infection and that seems what they are trying to find out to prevent in the future.

It seems in both cases it was limited (most likely because of being caught when it was to) a localized area - in one case to the leg and the other to an arm.

I just don't remember this happening to us when we were kids and we got very dirty and did all sorts of things to cause an infection - but never did get sick.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 08:07 pm
@Linkat,
Your poor niece! That's really scary. I hope she comes through it with no lasting ill effects.
JPB

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 08:11 pm
@PUNKEY,
Or less... try finding a hand soap that isn't anti-microbial these days. The more we sanitize our children the more super bugs they'll have to combat.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 08:21 pm
@JPB,
Couldn't agree with you more.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:46 am
@sozobe,
thanks - at this point the doctors feel there isn't going to be any problems - just scary how something like that seems to come out of no where - and weird too that I've seen this happen to couple of kids I know very recently.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:47 am
@JPB,
Wonder if that could have an impact - why I'm seeing it now and never did when I was a kid.

I just remember adults warning you about infections - but never ever heard of a kid getting an infection - and I used to eat dirt as a child and play in mud.
roger

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 08:35 am
@Linkat,
Yeah. Infections came from open wounds and things like that. They didn't just spontaneously arise.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 02:24 pm
My niece just got out of the hospital yesterday - finally - she was there over a week - almost two weeks because of this infection. Thankfully she says she feels fine. I talked to her on the phone this weekend and she told me they still hadn't determined what caused it. I didn't get a chance to talk with her, but my kids did briefly - I will need to see if they ever found out what caused it.
sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 02:26 pm
@Linkat,
Oh gosh, that was a long time. I'm so glad she's better.
Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 02:37 pm
@sozobe,
Yes us too - she is very happy according to my girls - after such a long stay she is happy to be home. She must be doing well - because we tried to contact her last night and she was out.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 07:09 am
Fels Naptha is great. I wash everything with it - from my floors to my plants.

It comes in a bar. Shave or chunk the bar, place the stuff in a container and add water. It will turn into the consistency of wallpaper paste. Take out some and add hot water. Keep adding water to the container.

I was told that it is actually the rubbing, not the soap, that moves the germs away from the skin. The soap just makes the water wetter.

I remember neighbor kids getting empintigo (sp?) years ago.

0 Replies