Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 11:16 pm
@ossobuco,
That's OK (kidding or otherwise).

I'm not confessing to some sort of stunted emotional status.

There are a myriad of ways to display warmth, affection and love, so that the person you care for knows how you feel, without displaying it to the rest of the world.

In my experience, people who feel the need to demonstrate to the world that they have feelings, are the emotionally stunted ones.

Show me a couple who can't keep their hands off one another and I will show you a couple that is about one or two years from a divorce.

FBM

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 02:08 am
I think that's one thing I miss about the South. Women calling me 'sugar' and 'honey' all the time. Especially old ladies and black women.

I went back on vacation once after several years absence and stopped at a convenience store. I was standing in line when a couple of people cut in front of me without realizing it. There were two black women behind the counter, but they were only working one register at the time.

One of them saw what happened, went to the second register and called out to me, "Come on over here, sugar. I'll take care o' you, dah'lin." I thought, 'Wow. Yeah, I'm back in the South alright.' Felt good.
Linkat

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 06:32 pm
@FBM,
Definately there are cultural differences depending where you are from. I know when our company opened an office in Texas - those that were hired from the area, would talk with us New Englanders on the phone and call us sir and mam - women, generally in New England do not like to be called mam as it implies you are old. It didn't bother me, personally, because I realized it was their culture and was used as be respectful -= not necessarily meaning I was a senior citizen.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 12:06 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
That's interesting.

I don't know if I agree or not.

I see your point.

On the other hand, the whole show while adventuring thing seems so early in the rondelay that I do a light roll eye and wait for the next stuff. That may be related to how repressive a society is, how thrilled people will be about public stuff.

Past that, I think it may have more to do with progression than whether divorce happens.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 04:51 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
That's interesting.

I don't know if I agree or not.
I know: u don 't agree.
If u did, then u 'd be consciously AWARE of it.

David
Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 04:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Get a life Bozo, you are less entertaining than a bag of warts.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:06 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I read where some one called another "Honey". How can such a sweet word (figuratively and literally) be considered bad? But it is sometimes...when did get honey become bad?

I call my kids honey; other children honey, my husband honey and sometimes it slips out when I call other adults honey - all in a caring way.

How do you use honey, sweetheart?
So far as I can remember, I have never called anyone "honey", nor did I ever consider doing so.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:08 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
Get a life Bozo, you are less entertaining than a bag of warts.
It has nothing to do with entertainment.
It is factual.

David

P.S.:
I don 't take orders from U, Jerk.
aidan

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:21 am
I don't call people honey, babe, sweetheart, darlin', chickiebabe or anything like that. I was just thinking about it. And I rarely use nicknames either. My kids are named Joseph and Olivia and I call them Joseph and Olivia and always have - I've never called them Joey or Livvie or anything like that.

I think it might be because I'm a teacher and I've gotten used to calling all people what I see written or hear as their name. At the beginning of the year I always just call them what's on the roll unless they say, 'Oh, could you please call me thus and such- everyone does'.
But yeah, for some reason if I see Thomas - I prefer saying Thomas instead of Tom unless they ask me not to. I like Peter better than Pete and David better than Dave and Stephen better than Steve and so on - and I'd never call a kid honeybunch or sweetie...It just wouldn't come naturally to me to do that.

And this probably belies the fact that I am a very openly affectionate person in general and not stiff or formal at all.
It may be because my parents never called me Becky or Becca - it was always Rebecca and for my mom it was always and still is 'Rebecca Jean'. Actually, I love that and am already dreading the day she dies not only because I'll miss her, but because there'll be no one left to call me Rebecca Jean.

My dad did used to say 'honey' and 'sweetheart' to his daughters - I never heard him say it to anyone outside the family and honestly I can't imagine him saying that to a waitress or a secretary - he was never the overly familiar type - always very respectful of women.

I love what people over here in Somerset say - even women will say to other women, 'Thank you my love'- or 'Here you are my darlin' -when you buy something in a shop and pay for it.
Some men even say, 'Thank you my loverrr' - I think that's very specific to this area - Somerset/Bristol - and not very common in the rest of England- though.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Oh boo hoo my day is ruined by the dimwitted comments of a flaky fake.

No, my day isn't ruined...it can't be ruined by useless drivel sputtered out by a pretend genius.
FBM

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 07:36 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Definately there are cultural differences depending where you are from. I know when our company opened an office in Texas - those that were hired from the area, would talk with us New Englanders on the phone and call us sir and mam - women, generally in New England do not like to be called mam as it implies you are old. It didn't bother me, personally, because I realized it was their culture and was used as be respectful -= not necessarily meaning I was a senior citizen.

I still say 'sir' and 'ma'am' to people who are either older or in a position of authority or people I feel I want to be extra polite to. You're right. It doesn't always have to do with your age, and you're right for taking it as intended, instead of interpreting it by non-local criteria. Good for you!
chai2

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 01:21 pm
@FBM,
Years back, when I first moved south of the M/D line, I didn't realize that some people, instead of saying "excuse me?" or "what?" if they didn't hear you, said "m'am?" or "sir?"

I was talking to a young lady of the phone, and I guess we had a bad connection. We kept saying "M'am?" and I kept saying "what?" as in "why do you keep saying m'am" not knowing what she meant.
FBM

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:14 pm
@chai2,
Heh heh. Yeah, there should be a list of instructions for people who move to the South. The 'sir/ma'am' thing should be near the top. I still can't imagine talking to a teacher, boss or whatever without 'sir/ma'am'. I didn' learn until a few years ago that this is not the way it is done all across the US.

Rude-assed Yankees.

j/k
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 11:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Hey, when two people are goofy in love, anything is possible, and almost anything is permissable.

Goofy love, however, doesn't last very long (nor can or should it) and those people who become addicted to it are revealing the paucity of their relationship, because it is all about feeling thrilled rather than satisfied.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 11:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Sexually obsessing about a Disney character is not healthy.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 11:54 pm
@izzythepush,
You need to explain your idiotic comment, as I doubt that even our Brit members might uderstand your gibberish.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 02:49 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
Oh boo hoo my day is ruined by the dimwitted comments of a flaky fake.

No, my day isn't ruined...it can't be ruined by useless drivel sputtered out by a pretend genius.
U have permission to ram
your motorcycle up your ass, Sturgis.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 02:56 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
Heh heh. Yeah, there should be a list of instructions for people who move to the South. The 'sir/ma'am' thing should be near the top. I still can't imagine talking to a teacher, boss or whatever without 'sir/ma'am'. I didn' learn until a few years ago that this is not the way it is done all across the US.

Rude-assed Yankees.
j/k
"Sir" can be very handy, for failures of memory qua names.
When I was practicing law, I found it convenient
in taking witness' testimony; I used it a lot, including children.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 03:02 am
@FBM,
Linkat wrote:
FBM wrote:
I still say 'sir' and 'ma'am' to people who are either older or in a position of authority
or people I feel I want to be extra polite to.
"Sir" sounds more civil than "Hay, U!" I have never had occasion to say "ma'am",
tho I 've said "Madam" and "Miss". I have never made distinctions based on youth nor age.

David
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 05:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
As stunningly divine a thought as that may be...at .least to you and your classless ilk, I shall pass on this mechanical involvement.