msolga

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:18 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
It's all in the tone .

Yes, indeed it is.
Just yesterday in a year 10 class I was teaching, a year 10 boy (who knows me pretty well) said to me: "I need some help with this (drawing), babe!"

To which I responded: "Be there in a minute, honey bunch!"

No one in the class thought that either remark was offensive.
We all just had a laugh at the silliness & moved on without a blink.
dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:23 am
@msolga,
And the context.
msolga

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:28 am
@dlowan,
Yup.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 06:03 am
@msolga,
Quote:
"I need some help with this (drawing), babe!"

"I need some help in deciding what to take and what to leave babe"
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 06:12 am
@Linkat,
I only use honey for my peanut butter and honey sandwiches.

Never use the term for endearment purposes. Or any other for that matter ... to the best of my memory.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 06:48 am
@tsarstepan,
You soil the delicious natural goodness of peanut butter with honey? Egads!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 07:04 am
@Sturgis,
Babe - I use that all the time too with my daughters. You can hear me cheering my daughter from the stands in a sporting event and usually I say could catch babe! Or good shot babe!

I call the other kids baby too.

Just me - and it is meant as endearing.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 07:05 am
@chai2,
Yep! It just struck me - because I use honey alot in talking nicely. But I have heard honey used not so nicely especially when a woman is being kinda dumb.

sozobe

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 07:12 am
I use all this stuff and I don't really know where I got it because my parents most emphatically did not.

Sozlet is honey and babe and sweetie and darlin' and all the rest of it. Also I use variations of "pie" as a suffix -- "babypie," "honeypie," etc. (We've examined the idea of "babypie" a bit, is it a pie made out of babies? Or a tiny little miniature pie?) A baby relative is named Maggie and I found myself calling her Maggiepie or Magpie, that worked.

Sozlet likes it.

With good friends I'll sometimes say "sweetie" or "darling" or "chica," usually with at least a little bit of irony.

And E.G. gets this stuff too.

Beyond that I don't use it much.

I agree that tone/ context is all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 07:24 am
I've known people who get offended at endearments from people who are, effectively, strangers, and what i mostly have in mind is waitresses. There was one waitress i knew who was nowhere near five feet tall, and i called her "Lil Bit," which she did not mind. But there was one waitress i knew, and with whom i got along fine, who routinely addressed me as "sugar pie," or just "shoog." She was a southern girl. You get that in diners, not white table cloth restaurants.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 07:27 am
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 08:47 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Yep! It just struck me - because I use honey alot in talking nicely. But I have heard honey used not so nicely especially when a woman is being kinda dumb.

Agreeing that tone/context is key. Remember though that it doesn't have to be all or nothing.
For instance, in that case, I wasn't saying it in an endearing way, since I don't know the woman, however, it wasn't meant in the rude, condescending way either.

It was meant as a tool to show "been there, done that, not worth it" context.

For those who didn't read that thread, I said something like "honey, there're a lot bigger hills to die on"

Soz, that's so funny, I call Wally "babypie" sometimes too. I think that's because as well as calling him honey, I'll call him baby, and sweetiepie, and it gets mixed up together.

Does anyone else ever say "chickiebabe"?

I say chickiebabe when I can't remember woman's name, when I'm referring to her to others. As in "That chickiebabe in purchasing? What's her name again? She said to resubmit the PO and they'll put in on backorder."
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 09:00 am
@Linkat,
Our Lady Diane calls her friends "Sweetie".

BBB
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 10:20 am
@chai2,
I get it - kinda like when some people, use "girlfriend"
Linkat

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 10:21 am
@Linkat,
The one problem with typing/email/texting is often times "tone" is mis-read.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 11:40 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I get it - kinda like when some people, use "girlfriend"

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant....

grrrlfren, you have other hills to die on.

Nome sain?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 12:04 pm
@chai2,
I've just been oop North, and all the women I met called me luvvie.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 04:37 pm
I don't use such terms of endearment, except with small children and pets, and I don't appreciate them being used in regards to me.

This is a personal preference and other than feeling embarrased for the person, I don't really care if anyone calls anyone else "honey," "sweetie," "babe" or a similiar unctuous term.

Although I am sure there are times when it is intended to be condescending, that's not, particularly, my objection.

I also am not fond of public displays of affection beyond walking arm in arm and a quick peck.

MMarciano

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 08:02 pm
@jcboy,
Imagen perfecta de recuerdos
Dispersas por todo el piso
Alcance para hacer que el teléfono "
No puedo luchar más

Y me pregunto si
Alguna vez tu mente
Para mí, pasa todo el tiempo

Es la una y cuarto
Estoy solo