Would this be considered Cruel and Unusual Punishment?

AParent

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 07:54 pm
@Mame,
Thank you Mame. I believe you got it in a nutshell. This is just the straw too as it has been going on too long, then he is good for a while and then blam here we go again. It is like an alcoholic beating the crap out of you one minute and apologizing the next so you will continue to enable. I am done with it. Thanks again.
0 Replies

AParent

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 08:07 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane, Thank you for your response. My reasoning (I thought that I was doing a good thing) for offering him support in any way I could/can due to the fact that he is taking no less than 15 credit hours in college with him being on campus from morning until nighttime 4 days a week. With him wanting to commit to that workload I only thought it was fair, but obviously he makes it pretty clear that I am a worthless piece of crap to anyone that will listen. Oh he now has money, even though he doesn't work. He is now getting a stipend from a trust fund that was set up for from him by my mother. This he uses for books for school and incidentals. Although I pay for his school as well he has finally agreed to, with urging from his Trust Manager, to look at a small loan to offset living expenses. So no I will not help him with anything once he is out of my house. Oh an he doesn't have a car and we do not permit him to take ours.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 06:49 am
My experience is that some 21 year old boys are really 15. Your son sounds like he is spoiled and self indulgent. Why does he not have a car? Why can't he take yours?

He is also writing everything he thinks on FB. My granddaughter does that - kind of like a stream of consciousness . . . WAY too much info, thank you. He is probably spending too much time on the computer.

HELP him move on. With kindness, help him find a new place to live. It's time he got out into the real world. Get a job and be more responsible for his life.

But don't do this in anger. When you are all calmed down, have a discussion about how you see he is ready to move on . . . out of the house.

Work out a budget with him. Because you have sheltered him, he may not be able to organize what he needs to do. Can he cook for himself? Can he handle money? Can he clean his room? These are all things you should have taught him way before now.

Help him so he does not come back. I had to give my daughter $200 per month to subsidize her apartment. for a year. Otherwise, she would be been in my home (Don't worry, she is 37 and makes 6 figure income now)

PS - Begin NOW to lay down the expectations with your other son.
AParent

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 02:22 pm
@PUNKEY,
Punkey, To answer your questions...

Why does he not have a car? Why can't he take yours? - He doesn't have a car because he doesn't have a license at least at this point but is working on that. He hasn't felt the need to drive (most of his friends don't drive either even though they may be older than him) however he is working on it. In fact with that I have talked to countless of parents in the last couple of years that have children in his age range or older that do not drive. I know it is strange, but it is some kind of phenomen or something. The reason why he can't take our car is that 1) he doesn't have a license and 2) his stepfather and I have consolidated and carpool into our business on a daily basis. In other words we are currently down to a one car family which saves on expenses.

Can he cook for himself? Can he handle money? Can he clean his room? These are all things you should have taught him way before now. - Yes actually he can do all of those things. Doing them cooking and cleaning, well that is another story but yes he is all good. He also has a money manager and a Trustee in which he has 24 hour access to. He actually is very good with his money, to tight in fact. He has a fear for some reason about not having enough that he actually hoards, which is not totally a bad thing however it can be costly for others. He probably has more than I do in his checking account right now, lol just joking sort of.

Frankly I think that he is scared of living on his own. He wants to bad enough as he tells us that all of the time because he is in "hell" but he just doesn't do it. In fact I tell him to go often and generally in a calm tone.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 02:50 pm
@PUNKEY,
Punkey, it doesn't really help anyone if you start pointing fingers and be accusatory.
----

A parent,
I think you're right that he might be scared of living on his own, weren't we all? It's like learning how to swim, sometimes it's best to let go and let the own survival instinct take over and before you know it they swim like a fish. We all have mastered life somehow and so will your son. He just needs
a stern push!
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 02:54 pm
@AParent,
AParent wrote:

We have an adult child (21 years of age and a Freshman at his college in the degree of Criminal Justice) that live in our household. We have had a few years (since he was around 18 years of age) of what we feel as abusiveness from him (we are older obviously). I have been married to his stepfather for 10 years and divorced from his biological father for 17 years who lives out of state and has never been supportive. Anyway on with it. He seems to think that he can say or do and treat people anyway he wants to no matter what and if it is abusive then he is entitled When we call him out on this he says that he has that right under the constitution and that there isn't anything we can do about it. Currently we are attempting to get him out of the house (we have been supporting him as he hasn't held a job since high school which only lasted about 2 months). Today I asked him for our house key (he knows that I am not happy with him) and he claims that he is entitled to our house key and that we are inflicting "cruel and unusual punishment" on him by dictating how he acts or what comes out of his mouth and that he could get us in trouble for that, but of course he won't. He also states that he has every right under the Constitution to live at our house due to him not having means of support and until that time we are responsible for him to do what he needs and supply whatever he wants. I am fed up! There is obviously more to this and this is just a smidgen of the manipulation tactics that this young man has inflicted on his family, but just thought that I would throw this out here. Thanks.

Sounds like he needs a spanking but I guess that is child abuse.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 02:57 pm
@AParent,
He has a money manager, a trustee for his trust fund, and he hoards money. Much as I respect PUNKEY, I think she's being way to considerate of his sensitivities. My own feeling is you can put him out on the street today, with a clear conscience. The boy is a deliberate parasite.

About that driver license. He should maybe rethink this. I mean, he may have snowed you into believing that studying Criminal Justice is something like law school; it just isn't. John Jay College in NYC has yet to graduate a lawyer, and without a license, he is unemployable - which might not be a real concern as long as he has free room and board.
0 Replies