Average Joe Hawaii - Reality TV or not! (Is beauty more..

husker

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 03:48 pm
Average Joe Hawaii

Are you watching?
Is this entertainment?
Beauty and the Beast?
Is Beauty more than skin deep?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,273 • Replies: 84
No top replies

husker

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 03:49 pm
Oh that's nice to know:
Code:New year, new Joes! First, we were greeted by Dennis Luciani (from Average Joe 1). He reminded viewers that Average Joe Hawaii was taped before the first show ever aired. None of these bachelors, or the new bachelorette, had any idea what mischief was ahead!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 11:33 pm
Am I watching? Yes!
Is this entertainment? Yup!
Beauty and the Beast?? Nooooo!
Is beauty more than skin deep? Not on this show.

I am a reality show nut! There was a dry spell over the holiday season, but now things are back to regularly scheduled programming, replete with several reality shows. Can't wait for All Star Survivor! And most of all I can't wait for The Amazing Race 5! My favourite of the realities. Wooo hooo!

Yup. I'm watching. Very Happy
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 12:29 pm
Eight hunky guys floated up lastnight at the end of the show. You could just see the self-esteem dropping on these less than average Joe's - and the look on the face of Larissa - fresh young handsome meat!! Well we'll be watching to see what happens next.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 02:00 pm
what are the hunky guys for? Does she get to choose from them also?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 02:27 pm
yep
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 02:40 pm
oh...that's just mean....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 02:45 pm
very sad IMO
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 03:34 pm
The "Average Joes" didn't seem to have as much time to bond with Larissa before the "hunks" came in, as the previous joes did with whats-her-name. Oh yeah, Melana.

I think the producers must approach these hunks with the idea of getting clips where these guys say they're going to beat out the average joes and make all sorts of arrogant asinine claims. 'Cause these guys all came across as none I'd be interested in.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 05:45 pm
You know, i don't usually watch the Average Joe..Mr whatever dating reality tv shows but, i caught this one last night and i must say.....

what is the world coming to?

ANYWAY....from only seeing this one episode in blips I thought the idea interesting however, sshouldn'tthe gal be more average?
I mean really, if we're going to be shallow...lets be shallow all the way here.
What former Miss Whatever whos looking for EVERYTHING in a guy cuz you know, shes like a 10 on the attractive scale and must have some smarts, and actually seemed half human which I think really has been edited for content....would really want to spend the rest of her life with Mr mailroom assistant?
Shes looking for the doctor/lawyer type that can keep her in the fashioned she is accustomed to as well as being the Ken to her Barbie....shes thought this way all of her life, and it would just be wweirdif she thought any different now.
So....
Although YES beauty is more than skin deep...the gal wants it all if she can have it, and shes willing to go for it, Ill bet ya on it.

I felt sooo bad for the average guys, I cant bbelievethese poor guys, who actually a couple of them aaren'tbad looking or not in decent jobs, and how they are going otocome out of this....i don't know.

Is it entertainment? Well, its grossly entertaining in an off beat sort of way. I'm all for reality TV shows, I enjoy them a great deal but, If feel bad when people are hurt by it, as with this show.

If they made it clear to everyone and an even race..pick guys out of a hat, girls out of a hat, etc...I think we'd all be happier.

Thats just MHO though.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 11:19 pm
Quote:
Is it entertainment? Well, its grossly entertaining in an off beat sort of way. I'm all for reality TV shows, I enjoy them a great deal but, If feel bad when people are hurt by it, as with this show.

Watched American Idol and felt much the same way.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 03:19 pm
Probably turn out the hunky guys are all gay.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:31 am
That show is infuriating! But I love it! I would probably be in the average joe category. And as soon as those stud guys walked in, I would have probably said to myself, I have no chance in hell of winning this thing now. And they don't! It's just a fact of life that the beautiful people will go for other beautiful people, if they have a choice. And the less-than-beautiful people will go for the beautiful people too, they just don't have that option!

I was enjoying it when the average joe's were giving as good as they get though, when they were all arguing around the table.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 04:48 pm
kickycan wrote:
I was enjoying it when the average joe's were giving as good as they get though, when they were all arguing around the table.

That part made me feel uncomfortable just watching it! I wish the "old" guys had just ignored the new guysI think David's attitude was the best. He essentially ignored any negativity and focused on making his experience a good one. Personally I think Michael C. is an ass. (Not to say Michael K. isn't because he's pretty arrogant himself.) I couldn't get over his comment about Larissa. Is this common commentary between guys about women? Do you men routinely objectify women this way? Or is it just weenies like Michael C.?

The competition for the group date was obviously fixed in favour of the new guys. It pretty much had to be in order for her to have a "get to know you" sort of meeting with them. I think Todd is smitten with her, Theo is scary mentioning this whole dream business (and it was dumb of him to put down the other "new" guys before getting to know Larissa a bit better) and so far I haven't seen a single new guy that impresses me all that much.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 05:13 pm
Caprice. I'm sure it's just me. I enjoy things that make other people uncomfortable. I thought the dodgeball and the "gym class" thing was much more horrible to watch. I felt so bad for all those "Joes".

The thing about this is that it is totally stacked against the average Joes. In real life, the beautiful people have that extra head start in everything they do, but it averages out as time goes on. With a six- or eight-week show, there isn't enough time for that to happen. She gets hot for a guy, they spend some time together ogling each other's body in an unreal dream date scenario, but they can't really do anything about it until the show ends. Pent-up horniness will always win over intellectual stimulation in a short race.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 05:23 pm
The beautiful people are sometimes descriminated against for jobs that required knowledge and talent even if they have it. Can we have some anti-descrimination laws based on looks? Probably not. Larissa claims she's never dated any guys that are as good looking and buff as these new guys. I wonder why? (Okay, I confess, I have a DMR and too much free time on my hands -- I should be in the studio painting on my off hours).
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 05:25 pm
I missed it but, I dont think it was all that much from what you guys are saying...Im probably in a better mood for it.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:49 pm
kickycan wrote:
Pent-up horniness will always win over intellectual stimulation in a short race.

*LOL* A very succinct way of putting it!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:52 pm
What's DMR?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:59 pm
quinn1: Well I don't know that it was that bad, but you can tell already that she's gonna pick one of the "hunks" over one of the average guys. I thought Adam (first Average Joe) had a good chance with Melana, but that was just due to creative editing on the show's part. That and sometimes I think whoever is interviewing these people for their commentaries has got to be asking leading questions. Anyhow, the only Average Joe I see Larissa possibly being with is Tony, but with the "hunks" there, and Larissa being 25, I don't think she'll end up with Tony.

I'm finding this Average Joe isn't as good as the first one just because you don't see the relationships with the Joes gelling as much as the first show. They just haven't had as much time to form those sorts of ties with Larissa.
0 Replies