Austrian driver allowed 'pastafarian' headgear photo

tsarstepan

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 04:19 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Looks like some of the Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe floated onto the paperwork..

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jCxlRkj9HaI/SgtB_WxEX_I/AAAAAAAABm8/JRs_4C5PWIg/s400/spaghetti+cacio+e+pepe.jpg

That photograph is the Bill of Rights you silly! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 04:33 pm
whilw superficially funny, his was a direct and admitted attack on manifestation of religion in daily life. i don't find likening of the pasta strainer to the headscarf charming or amusing and it will further strain relations in this part of europe....but...i've been hanging out far too much with interfaith folks and immigrants.
ossobuco

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 04:45 pm
@dagmaraka,
Ah. Well. I still think what I think.

I don't think the funniness is superficial. I lived the superstition heavily (see the Family Rosary Crusade), and I get to yammer at it.

The rod of religion is very strong.

Dags, this is not against you, but you need to figure out what you think. Or you have, but I am betting not yet.

0 Replies

Thomas

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 04:51 pm
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:
whilw superficially funny, his was a direct and admitted attack on manifestation of religion in daily life.

Not on the manifestation of religion in daily life, but on the privileges for religion in daily life.

Public safety may or may not require that Austria ban headgear from drivers-license photos. But you have to make a choice one way or the other. If the case for such a requirement is sound, it should apply to everybody. If it's not, it should apply to nobody. Either way, Austria is silly to waive the requirement for religious headgear but not for secular headgear. This silliness is what Nico Alm tried to expose with his little stunt. More power to him for that!
ossobuco

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 04:51 pm
@dagmaraka,
I am posted here as not being anti religion, as separating the subject from some abuse folks. I am anti domination of religion.

If all of eastern europe cannot take a taunt against religion rule of whatever mode, there is some growing up to do.

0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 05:02 pm
Them Australians, i'll tell ya . . . and they drive on the wrong side of the road, too . . .
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 05:15 pm
@dagmaraka,
I agree with Dascha.

There's another aspect to this that should worry the hell out of any bureaucrats and/or jurists (Hi, Jes!). If the people who issue driving licenses, representing the State, accept Pastafarianism (or whatever crazy cult you want to name) as a legit religion, then what's to stop me from opening a store-front house of ziti worship and insisiting that I now have tax-exempt status?
Reyn

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 05:17 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
... If the case for such a requirement is sound, it should apply to everybody. If it's not, it should apply to nobody. ...

Amen to that!

Here in British Columbia it's the same thing with folks and bicycle helmets. Mad
Setanta

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 05:59 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
If this were the thin end of the wedge to end tax exemptions for the god botherers, then i say Up the Revolution ! ! !
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 06:15 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It's been done, repeatedly. See many churches or churchlike places in the U.S.

What would you guess the mockery is about?
0 Replies

Thomas

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 08:53 pm
@Reyn,
British Columbia grants you a religious exemption from bicycle helmets?
Reyn

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 09:22 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

British Columbia grants you a religious exemption from bicycle helmets?

Yes.

For example, East Indians (p/c= South Asians) with turbans, are not required to wear a bicycle helmet. As far as I know, this does not extend to a helmet for using a motorcycle though.
0 Replies

raprap

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 09:46 pm
The Dude Abides.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9uOZRuGuOOY/TVgYgTHMb9I/AAAAAAAAXhs/U6Nm6rFT7hU/s1600/dude-vinci.jpg

Rap
ossobuco

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 09:47 pm
@raprap,
So, like he's a little chubby?
raprap

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 09:51 pm
@ossobuco,
http://www.ephemeron.net/wp-content/uploads/dontfuckwithjesus.gif

Rap
ossobuco

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 09:58 pm
@raprap,
Never mind chubby, he's a bowler? (I used to follow that but very long ago).

Not Jesus, I mean bowling. That doesn't look like bowling.

In the meantime, some portion of the leaders at the Sandwich course, Brit Open, are older and chubbier.

0 Replies

msolga

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 11:19 pm
@jespah,
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/54052000/jpg/_54052148_fsm_strahlenhaube-1.jpg

You can see by the expression on his face & the colander on his head that he is absolutely genuinely devoted to Pastafarianism.

I'm delighted that his commitment to his religion has been officially vindicated. I'm certain he's suffered terribly from discrimination in the past.
Good for you, Niko!
laughoutlood

Fri 15 Jul, 2011 11:55 pm
@jespah,
This is wholly holier than thou can imagine.

I'm already thinking sacraments.

Let the love envelop you all.

Now would be good.

Right.
0 Replies

roger

Sat 16 Jul, 2011 12:02 am
@msolga,
May the lightning not smite thee hither and yon.
msolga

Sat 16 Jul, 2011 01:57 am
@roger,
Thank you, roger.

And may your Aglio e Olio spaghetti be al dente, always!
0 Replies