what is freedom?

hamilton

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 02:42 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
that makes no sense, no matter how i think of it.
hamilton

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 03:05 pm
but what is freedom, then.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 03:23 pm
@hamilton,
It seems to me--and I think I said something like this years ago on Able2know or Abuzz--that when we want to know what something is essentially, like freedom, love, justice, etc. , we should approach it in the way that the first person who wanted to know what to call a very young dog. "Puppy" was the answer to his question, not a thing that has an essential nature to be grasped in a definition.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 03:23 pm
@hamilton,
It seems to me--and I think I said something like this years ago on Able2know or Abuzz--that when we want to know what something is essentially, like freedom, love, justice, etc. , we should approach it in the way that the first person who wanted to know what to call a very young dog. "Puppy" was the answer to his question, not a thing that has an essential nature to be grasped in a definition.
hamilton

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 06:46 pm
@JLNobody,
um, you know you said the same thing twice, right?
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2011 08:22 am
@hamilton,
Pamela Rosa wrote:
Freedom is slavery
hamilton wrote:
Re: Pamela Rosa (Post 4658487)
that makes no sense, no matter how i think of it.

She was quoting one of the doublethink slogans from George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.
hamilton

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2011 09:23 am
@wmwcjr,
oh, oops...
wmwcjr

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2011 12:30 pm
@hamilton,
Hey, no sweat. You can't remember everything. Smile
hamilton

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2011 06:12 pm
@wmwcjr,
nor can I read every book in the library!
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 02:56 am
@hamilton,
It's okay! You've probably read more than I have, and I'm 61 years old. Embarrassed Smile
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 02:11 pm
@existential potential,
EP - that's pretty much what I said, although my main point was that 'hardwiring' occurs within our brains whether we like it or not, which by their very nature create constraints.

Fortunately for us, we can also 'hardwire' other automated circuits into our brain that run 'awareness' programmes.

The amount of consciousness we actually have will always be up for debate. My guestimate is 3%.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 05:12 pm
@existential potential,
Is "freedom" always a matter of freedom from constraint? I think that when I act according to my nature (hardwiring?) I am both constrained and free at the same time. How wonderful to express my nature even though it prevents me from pursuing alternative ways of doing and being.
0 Replies

Anomie

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 11:48 am
It requires a definition.

Are you refering to free will?

Definition:the ability of agents to make choices free from certain kinds of constraints.

Humans appear to be subjected to nomological properties of the universe, the concept of gravity being an example.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 07:23 pm
@hamilton,
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 03:24 am

My answer concerns personal political freedom.

Quote:
What is freedom?
Freedom is the absence of jurisdiction of government.

Personal freedom and the jurisdiction of government are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.

That means that the more there is of one of them,
the less there is of the other one.

David
0 Replies

krc950

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 04:33 am
@hamilton,
freedom can mean a lot of things, i'd say we all approach the concept of freedom in a unique way
0 Replies

NoSuchThing

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 05:15 pm
@hamilton,
Choices that haven't been made or committed to.
0 Replies