Tick, tick. August 2nd is the Debt Limit Armageddon. Or Not.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 09:58 am
@JPB,
Spot on! The majority wants change; reduced spending and some increase in revenue; it's only the politicians who are stubborn.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 10:03 am
The Senate just voted to table 'Cut, Cap and Balance.' That bill is dead and will never become law.

Let's see what happens now...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 10:08 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

You forgot tax increases. The moderate position, and the one held by most Americans, is to use a combination of tax increases and spending cuts to solve the problem. That is the position the Dems have taken.

Here's a graph showing recent polls on this question -

http://wamo.info/pa/110719_polls2.jpg

You're right. I did, and I do agree that they need to be part of the overall plan. I disagree that the Dems are taking a balanced approach.

Quote:
Hoyer against cuts to entitlement programs
By Mike Lillis - 07/19/11 01:25 PM ET

The second-ranking House Democrat on Tuesday threw his weight behind the party's blanket opposition to entitlement benefit cuts in a debt-ceiling deal. The comments represent a subtle but significant change in Hoyer's approach to the negotiating table. As recently as last week, the Democratic whip was being careful not to rule out any policy options during the contentious debt talks — a position shared by President Obama.

"Democrats have said that everything needs to be on the table," Hoyer said last week, "and have put everything on the table."

By going on the record opposing entitlement benefit cuts, Hoyer has aligned himself with more liberal House Democrats like Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who has been clear from the start of the debate that she's open to entitlement reforms, but not benefit cuts.

"We must protect Medicare and Social Security," Pelosi told reporters last week. "We will not support cuts."

Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said it was the consensus of Democrats to oppose any benefit cuts under Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid as lawmakers haggle over how to hike the debt limit and rein in deficit spending.

"We have made it very clear that we have no intention of supporting [a bill] that cuts beneficiaries' benefits," Hoyer told reporters in the Capitol Tuesday. Source
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 10:13 am
@JPB,
The media has covered the position of the democrats that shows their cement wall against any negotiation.

From CNN.
Quote:
House Democrats: No dice on Medicare, Social Security cuts

July 08, 2011|By Deirdre Walsh, CNN Congressional Producer

The chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, Emanuel Cleaver, D-Missouri, says he won't vote for benefit cuts.

Congressional Democrats, frustrated that President Obama is including entitlement changes in debt negotiations, pushed back Friday, insisting they will not support any benefit cuts to Medicare or Social Security.

They also reminded the White House it should heed their concerns if it wants to get Democratic votes necessary to pass any agreement.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, who had a one-on-one meeting with the president Friday morning, told her caucus she reminded Obama that Democrats oppose any reductions in benefits for these government programs that serve as safety nets for the elderly, poor and disabled.

Cyclo seems blind to all these media coverage concerning the democrats position.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 10:22 am
@cicerone imposter,
The House Dem position isn't a material part of the negotiations. This is both good and bad for them; good, in that they can make whatever statements they like on the matter, bad because they can't actually influence the legislation too much.

What matters are the positions of the leaders of the negotiations on both sides - Obama and Reid, and Boehner for the GOP. Everything else is just posturing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 10:23 am
@cicerone imposter,
Well, I think cyclo would tell both of us that lines drawn on July 8th don't at all have to represent a position on July 22nd. The Hoyer position I quoted above was from the 19th. And, just in case the source I used was from a far-right outlet (I have no idea) I found the same announcement cheered by what I believe to be a far left media outlet. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/07/19/996350/-Hoyer-joins-Pelosi-in-opposition-to-entitlement-benefit-cuts
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 10:35 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
This equivalence game you are playing, as I said above, is silly. Both parties aren't pushing us towards the cliff; the Republican party is. The Dems would vote on a clean debt ceiling raise in a heartbeat. There's no need for all this gamesmanship, other than the fact that one party is forcing it - for their own political advantage. There's no equivalence there.

Indeed, it is difficult sometimes to remember that this is a wholly manufactured crisis by the House Republicans. There's simply no equivalence here. No doubt there are some Democrats who would be equally extreme if the positions were reversed, but they're just ciphers in the current negotiations. That might change, however, if Boehner can't corral his caucus when it actually comes time to vote on a debt ceiling increase. In that case, Boehner may need Democratic votes to get a bill passed, which will mean listening to Pelosi and Hoyer for the first time in this ongoing trainwreck.
JPB

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 10:43 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

...That might change, however, if Boehner can't corral his caucus when it actually comes time to vote on a debt ceiling increase. In that case, Boehner may need Democratic votes to get a bill passed, which will mean listening to Pelosi and Hoyer for the first time in this ongoing trainwreck.

Which is precisely what I think is going to have to happen, meaning that whatever grand posturing the House Dems are pulling is every bit as important as the Rep position. I've said all along that Boehner is going to have to throw at least the most deeply entrenched under the bus. He's also going to need the support of the Dems to get whatever deal is struck through the House. I do believe that their position of "we won't play unless there are no cuts to entitlements" is equally dangerous as we approach the edge of the cliff.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 10:47 am
@joefromchicago,
I also agree with this conclusion; the House republicans created this crisis out of nothing. Debt ceiling increases are necessary to fund past legislation produced by both parties. They just want to see Obama fail; a dangerous game of chicken when they are harming the credit worthiness of US Treasuries, interest rates for everybody, and a deeper recession because consumption will also decrease with the higher interest rates.

To think that some of the same people who are against increasing the debt ceiling are running for president is almost humorous if it wasn't so serious.

The frightening reality is that some of those people have a chance to win the republican nomination.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 11:43 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
I do believe that their position of "we won't play unless there are no cuts to entitlements" is equally dangerous as we approach the edge of the cliff.

Except it's not. Not yet, at any rate. Right now it's still the Republicans' show. They're the ones holding all the cards. The House Democrats may have an inside straight, but unless Boehner deals them that fifth card, they got nothin'.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 11:46 am

The majority is pro spending cuts and anti tax revenue hikes.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 12:01 pm
@joefromchicago,
Then why doesn't he simply push the vote on a one-sided deficit reduction package that pulls us back from the cliff? It's because he knows damn well that no matter what he pushes through the House it has to pass the Senate and get signed off by Obama and that won't happen unless there's a balanced approach. He's going to lose some of his hard-liners. The only question is how many. He may also want to be Speaker again next year and how he handles this will clearly determine his future in that position. He's going to need at least some Dem votes in the House, imo. Again, the only question is how many.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 12:07 pm
@JPB,
Boehner is in a no-win situation here; he and the GOP House leadership have backed themselves into a corner, with their increasingly extreme rhetoric and demands about not raising the debt ceiling. Now, ANY deal will strike a large portion of his base as 'capitulation' to Obama.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 12:13 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Then why doesn't he simply push the vote on a one-sided deficit reduction package that pulls us back from the cliff? It's because he knows damn well that no matter what he pushes through the House it has to pass the Senate and get signed off by Obama and that won't happen unless there's a balanced approach. He's going to lose some of his hard-liners. The only question is how many. He may also want to be Speaker again next year and how he handles this will clearly determine his future in that position. He's going to need at least some Dem votes in the House, imo. Again, the only question is how many.

But you're assuming that he needs the votes of extremist Democrats, and I don't see any reason to believe that's true -- not yet, anyway. You're anticipating a problem that hasn't happened and likely won't happen. There are plenty of Blue Dog Democrats who could probably be persuaded to cross the aisle, and congressional Democrats on the whole have become very adept at sucking it up and voting for the grown-up solution whenever the crybaby caucus throws a legislative tantrum. Tom Coburn, for one, is counting on it.
JPB

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 12:18 pm
@joefromchicago,
Then you've just agreed with my original point from yesterday. The position of the Dem leadership in the House (Hoyer, Pelosi, et al) is an extremist position.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 12:19 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
There are plenty of Blue Dog Democrats who could probably be persuaded to cross the aisle

Actually, there aren't many Blue Dogs left - they got decimated in the last election. I doubt there are enough of them to cover defections from the Republican side.

Cycloptichorn
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 01:33 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Then you've just agreed with my original point from yesterday. The position of the Dem leadership in the House (Hoyer, Pelosi, et al) is an extremist position.

No, I'm merely conceding that point for the sake of argument because it doesn't really matter. I don't necessarily think they're extremist -- in many cases, I agree with them, but if that's what you want to call them, I don't care.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 01:35 pm
@joefromchicago,
I agree with JPB; extremism is when anyone or any group holds a position that is non-negotiable. We'll have to agree to disagree.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 01:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There very well may be some congressional Democrats who hold non-negotiable positions. But since they're not involved in the negotiations, why would anyone even care about them? If someone had a gun to your head, saying that he will pull the trigger if you don't give him some money, would you be equally concerned with the guy who is holding a gun to his own head and saying the same thing?
sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 01:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So if a president refuses to give a terrorist group a billion dollars in exchange for hostages, he's being extremist?

If so, do you consider extremism a bad thing, or not?