Tick, tick. August 2nd is the Debt Limit Armageddon. Or Not.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 02:57 pm
The truth of the matter is the the GOP handled these negotiations horribly, and is now paying the price.

Quote:
GOP wants Obama's unconditional surrender

Washington (CNN) -- In this debt-ceiling fight, I'm having horrible flashbacks to the Republican debacle over health care.

Then as now, what could have been a negotiated deal turned into all-out political war.

Then as now, Republicans rejected all concessions by the president as pathetically inadequate.

Then as now, Republicans refused any concessions of their own, instead demanding that the president yield totally to their way of thinking.

Then as now, Republicans convinced themselves that they had the clout to force the president to yield.

With health care, Republicans calculated spectacularly wrong. They pursued an all or nothing strategy and got -- nothing. They neither shaped the bill, nor did they stop it.

Will they make the same mistake again on the debt ceiling?

We don't know the exact shape of the offers President Obama has made inside the negotiating rooms. Republicans tell friendly journalists that the president has been highhanded and long-winded.

Perhaps.

But the president has gone on television to declare himself willing to consider some startling moves: alterations to Social Security cost-of-living formulas, raising the age at which retirees qualify for Medicare, and large dollar figures for deficit reduction over the next decade.

On background, administration briefers have talked about a package consisting of 85% spending cuts and 15% revenue increases. And, they said, they wanted only the kinds of revenue increases least obnoxious to Republicans: changes in deductions and tax credits -- not increases in overall tax rates.

Republican briefers say that the Democrats are exaggerating their offer. They say the Democrats were less conciliatory inside the room than outside.

Again: perhaps.

But it would be remarkable, wouldn't it, for a president to say on TV that he was willing to do something as unpopular as raise the Medicare age -- and then say in secret: Nah, I'll do the popular thing instead. Wouldn't you expect the behavior to be the other way around?

I think we have enough information to draw a very different picture of what happened.

Obama offered Republicans a lot of spending cuts if only they would move even slightly to meet him. But Republicans took the view that any change in current tax rules must be offset by an equal or greater cut in some other tax. Republicans would not agree to alter even the silliest parts of the tax code in ways that raised more revenue. The only deal they would contemplate is one that was 100% spending cuts, 0% tax increases -- that is, all their own way, total surrender by the president.

Unconditional surrender was the Republican demand in the health care debate. That demand led to an unmitigated defeat.

Unconditional surrender has become the Republican demand in the debt demand.

The original Republican plan was to threaten to tip the country into default unless the GOP got everything it wanted. That threat is proving empty, as Republicans' business constituencies mutiny against their party's dangerous tactics.

If blackmail won't work -- and negotiation is not allowed by the party's own taboos -- then the party that asked for everything is on its way to becoming the party that got nothing. Only it's not just the GOP that is the loser. It's the whole country.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/07/18/frum.debt.showdown.gop/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 03:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,

The truth of the matter is that Obama has no interest in improving this countries capitalist economy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 03:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
They have become brazen, because of two reasons. 1. Most tea party members agree to their meme, and 2. They have become immune to the reality of not increasing the debt ceiling. They are playing with bombs which will end up exploding in their faces once Americans learn what happens with the GOP-type of demands. It hurts everybody - including conservatives and seniors. Actually, the whole country, because it will push back our economy to make things worse.

I dare say, most who have treasuries in their retirement savings are going to feel the extreme pain. That may not wake them up from their daze.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:32 pm
"I have no doubt that both parties will criticize portions of this plan...but it is not a legitimate criticism until you have a plan of your own." Senator Tom Coburn (R-Oklahoma)

That is more than an understatement. Coburn today suggests that we not look at reduction of the deficit by $2.4Tn or $4Tn over 10 years. He wants to do $9Tn over 10 years, involving spending cuts and tax increases.
His plan will manage to offend everyone:
Gradually restrict access to full SSAE to the age of 70
Cut farm subsidies
Trim Medicare benefits
Reduce student aid, housing subsidies to the poor and community development grants
Increase some premiums on some military insurance benefits
Eliminate mortgage interest deductions on 2nd homes and cap the deductions on homes valued at over $500K
Cut military spending by eliminating several specific programs
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:34 pm
@realjohnboy,
There's no 'raise tax rates on top earners' on that list. So, it's a non-starter, no matter what else he said.

Frankly, it seems like a terrible plan, but Coburn is one of the Senate's top fools, so it's not surprising.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The GOP are all fools! They follow in lock step to walk over the cliff - for our country.

I'm waiting for the nightmare to begin.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:00 pm

Foolish liberals... what a joke they are.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
I wouldn't find it offensive if the entire proposal were to be adopted. Naturely, there are parts I like more than others.
JPB

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 10:57 pm
@roger,
Me too.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 11:39 pm
@JPB,
Me too! I've always said that social security and Medicare needs to be addressed; we've known about the funding problems for these programs for several decades. We need to increase the age for benefits, because people are living longer. That's been on the plate for decades. Medicare's cost is not sustainable, because government added beneficiaries who never paid into the program. There are many ways to reduce the cost including adding fees for services which will reduce waste.
There are too much testing going on that's not needed; that's been known for many years; another waste that will not impact patient's health negatively. Reduce the use of emergency rooms for non-emergency care.
Open more clinics to handle these patients.

It was found some years ago that the supplies that hospitals use are wasteful and duplicated. There are hospitals - someplace back east (might be New York) that reduced spending on supplies by reducing the number of glove types they used to order.

I order my meds through the internet; it saves my time, and the pharmacy becomes more efficient - which reduces their cost. We both win.

It can be done.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 12:42 am
The Fallback plan

Quote:
As described by McConnell at a news conference last week, his legislation would authorize the president to request of Congress debt ceiling increases in three increments between now and the end of next year. The first would boost the debt limit by $700 billion and the next two by $900 billion each.

Along with each request, the president would be required to submit a list of recommended spending cuts -- in an amount higher than the ceiling increase request -- but those cuts would not need to be enacted for the debt limit to go up.

Congress would then vote on -- and probably pass -- "resolutions of disapproval" of those requests. The president probably then would veto those resolutions. Unless Congress overrode those vetoes, which is unlikely, the debt ceiling would increase.
The purpose of this convoluted plan is to allow most Republicans and some Democrats to vote against the politically unpopular debt ceiling increase while simultaneously clearing it.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/07/18/debt.limit.fallback.plan/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Hopefully if Washington tries to float this BS the bond rating agencies will lower our rating instantly.
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:39 am
@hawkeye10,
This will set a really dumass precedent.
Our habit of engaging in brinksmanship by bith arties sends a clear message that noone in DCgiives a **** about anything except their own few personal interests.

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 07:06 am
Lawmakers doubtful ‘cut, cap, balance’ will work

Quote:
For Congress, it is the legislative equivalent of time travel: a kind of law that allows lawmakers to reach into the future, and force decisions on the Congresses yet to come.

On Tuesday, the GOP-led House will vote on such a measure, part of a broader plan to reduce the deficit that has been nicknamed “cut, cap and balance.” For the next 10 years, the bill would set caps on the money available for later lawmakers to spend.

But, as with all stories about time travel, there’s a catch. In Congress, giving orders to the future rarely works; lawmakers simply ignore or repeal them.

So why would the current plan to “cap” spending work?

It turns out that even supporters have their doubts that it would.

“They have tried doing all these things in the past, but what future Congresses do is, they ignore it,” said Rep. Raul R. Labrador (R), a freshman legislator from Idaho.
(rest at the source)

Should we Cut, Cap, and Balance?

Quote:
Should we Cut, Cap, and Balance?

According to the website cutcapbalancepledge.com, 8 Republican presidential candidates, 4 Governors, 12 senators, and 29 house members have signed the pledge to cut spending, cap spending at a fixed percent of GDP, and pass a balance budget amendment. In theory I have to admit that this looks appealing. But the specifics on how this is to be accomplished present some challenges.

Let's start with cutting spending. The pledge says that $380 billion of spending cuts are needed in the 2012 fiscal year. That's a 10% cut in total spending. It's deep, but it's probably also necessary. One of the things I fear about the current budget negotiations is that it will involve cutting spending in years 5-10, and not 1-5, which means that nothing will actually change in the short term and probably not in the long term because future politicians will just override the cuts. I say we go for this one.

The most controversial proposal is capping spending at 18% of GDP. To give you some context, in 2011 spending is projected to be 25.3% of GDP. In 2007, the year before the recession took hold, spending was 19.6% of GDP. In 2000, the year before the tech bubble burst when we had a budget surplus an everything was rosie in the economy, spending was 18.5% of GDP. In fact, you have to go back to 1966 to find the last year that spending was below 18% of GDP at 17.8%. Listen, it's a worthy goal and one we should hope for over the next 10 or so years, but it's a goal that requires strong GDP growth - you can't cut your way to those numbers and not destroy the economy. A more realistic and achievable goal is probably closer to 20%.

Finally, we have the balance budget amendment, which will be the most difficult to pass. It would include the 18% cap, would require the government to have a balanced budget each year, and would require a supermajority for tax increases. Passing a constitutional amendment requires a two-thirds majority in both houses of Congress and for two-thirds of state legislatures to pass the ammendment. This process can take years and is not a solution to our short term problems.

parados

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 07:20 am
@revelette,
If the GOP is serious about balancing the budget, why don't they start by raising taxes to pay for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Unless they show a willingness to raise taxes for wars, they are doing nothing but political posturing and putting the US in the position where they can't conduct war without destroying other federal programs.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:22 am
http://images.dailykos.com/i/user/426/Gallupdebt3.gif

There's consistently 27-28% of our country who are dead ******* stupid.

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:24 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Count me as one of them. Defaulting on America's debt is bad, but some deals for avoiding default have terms that are worse. Especially when you consider the incentives they set for future blackmail.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:27 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Count me as one of them. Defaulting on America's debt is bad, but some deals for avoiding default have terms that are worse. Especially when you consider the incentives they set for future blackmail.

I'm sorry, but you're just incorrect on this one, Thomas. Default wouldn't just be bad, it would be horrible. For everyone. We would be shooting ourselves in the foot.

Not only that, but you don't seem to be differentiating between any compromise, and a bad compromise. A compromise for Obama that cuts some spending is not bad; a compromise that cuts LOTS of spending IS bad.

Compromise is how government works. I know it's frustrating, but that's the way it is....

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:36 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'm sorry, but you're just incorrect on this one, Thomas.

It happens with us dead ******* stupid people. You'll have to indulge me.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:37 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'm sorry, but you're just incorrect on this one, Thomas.

It happens with us dead ******* stupid people. You'll have to indulge me.

Yeah, that's part of government, too.

Think about what you are saying for a minute here. Obama has out-maneuvered the GOP politically on this issue - he'll get some spending cuts (that he wants - he proposed 4 trillion in cuts himself over the next decade, remember) and the limit will be increased. And the GOP base is flipping out over this, completely demoralized.

You're saying that it would be better for Obama to just tell them to **** off, and let the country go into default - than to take a deal that he wants to take? I cannot understand your reasoning on this. The terms of the deal that is going to happen are far, far preferable to a default; I don't know how you could possibly think any different.

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:53 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You're saying that it would be better for Obama to just tell them to **** off, and let the country go into default - than to take a deal that he wants to take? I cannot understand your reasoning on this.

That's because you're assuming that I like the deal that he wants to take. I don't.