Tick, tick. August 2nd is the Debt Limit Armageddon. Or Not.

parados

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 02:42 pm
@H2O MAN,
Actually, more than 80% of the American people agree with Obama that tax increases should be included in solving the deficit.
Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 02:51 pm
Can one of the wonks explain the relevance of this long-term stuff to me? "Four trillion in ten years" etc? Politically, no deal struck in 2011 can bind the president of 2013 or the Congress of 2013. So, why bother with the ten-years-out stuff in the context of this acute crisis?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 03:00 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
So, why bother with the ten-years-out stuff in the context of this acute crisis?
Evasion of the problem, one that the citizens have usually been thrilled to grab for. .
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 03:18 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Can one of the wonks explain the relevance of this long-term stuff to me? "Four trillion in ten years" etc? Politically, no deal struck in 2011 can bind the president of 2013 or the Congress of 2013. So, why bother with the ten-years-out stuff in the context of this acute crisis?

What they're talking about is alterations to the 'baseline,' or what the gov. considers to be 'normal spending.' Alterations such as that make it more difficult to raise the amount you are spending later on. You're correct that it doesn't BIND future Congresses in any way, but it does do stuff like inform how the CBO scores legislation, which is critical to getting it passed.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 03:23 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Actually, more than 80% of the American people agree with Obama that tax increases should be included in solving the deficit.

That is a liberal lie.

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 03:39 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

This thread has been tagged "1 Term".
I guess that would be true for new tea party congressmen
if the public blames them for inability to compromise.

The public will reward tea party congressmen for standing firm
and refusing to compromise with Obama's destructive policies.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 03:45 pm
Here's an interesting bunch of deficit analyzing articles from the archives of The Atlantic. Are the themes and theories of these articles still true for today's fiscal situation?

This one was written in 1989 by Jonathan Rauch and is called "Is the Deficit Really So Bad?"

http://www.theatlantic.com​/past/docs/unbound/flashbk​s/budget/rauchf.htm

This one was written in 1987 by Peter G. Peterson and is entitled "The Morning After."

http://www.theatlantic.com​/past/docs/unbound/flashbk​s/budget/afterf.htm

And finally, one from 2002 by Eamonn Fingleton called "The Other Deficit."

http://www.theatlantic.com​/past/docs/issues/2002/04/​fingleton.htm
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 05:30 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

parados wrote:

That is a liberal lie.

80 Percent of Americans Side With Obama in Debt Limit Talks?

Not Quite!

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 12:56 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

parados wrote:

That is a liberal lie.

The correct quote should be "More than 80% of the Americans people surveyed agree with Obama that tax..."

But who are these people? Where are the surveys conducted? Do they ever ask the average JOE what he thinks?
roger

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 01:27 am
@Miller,
Since most of the proposed tax increases and reduced deductions affect the highest earning 10% to 15% of the population, an 80% approval rate is not surprising. Most people tend to favor their own narrow self interests. Most people are not rich.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 06:30 am

To be correct, the headline should read:

More than 80% of tax paying Americans are sick and tired of Obama and
his destructive policies, polls says America can't wait to flush this turd."
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 07:36 am
@H2O MAN,
The republicans don't want any tax increases. Eighty percent of those in the poll want either a balance of revenue increases and spending cuts or mostly spending cuts which would mean that they do want some revenue increases which is not what the republicans want.

revelette

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 07:44 am
Political Deadlock Persists as Debt Ceiling Deadline Approaches

Quote:
Rep. Broun told ABC's Jonathon Karl that he would vote against any legislation that would raise the ceiling, "no matter what."

It's because of stances like these in the Republican Party that another plan presented this week by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has been gaining attention.

The plan would give the president the authority to raise the debt ceiling, while bypassing the necessity for Congress to vote for the measure.

The Daily Beast's John Avlon says he sees McConnell's plan as a sign that Republican leadership is having difficulty reconciling internal divisions.

"He [McConnell] wasn't sure he could get the votes he needs to raise the debt ceiling out of the republican caucus and that this was in fact an attempt to delegate this to the president—very unusual for congress to ever delegate power to a president," Avlon said in an interview with ABC News.

The president is dealing with internal party divisions of his own. While the president says he's willing to make some difficult concessions in reaching a deal, he may have difficulty convincing his own party to go along.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi said Friday that Democrats will not sign onto a deal that cuts into Medicare or Social Security.

"Whatever happens, we will not be reducing benefits to Medicare and Social Security recipients," Pelosi said.

If political leaders fail to reach an agreement by the Aug. 2 deadline, the government would be unable to pay 40 percent of its bills, which would cause interest rates to rise throughout the country, affecting mortgages, credit cards, and other personal loans.

There will also be implications in the international financial markets, as credit rating agencies would downgrade the U.S. debt rating.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts, and the facts are that if you do not raise the debt ceiling, and America defaults on its debt, we will be in a deeper fiscal hole almost overnight," John Avlon said.

(the rest at the source)

I don't like Mitch McConnell, but what does anyone think of the idea he has to give the president the authority to bypass the congress to raise the debt ceiling? Kind of weird for a member of an oppositional party to make such a suggestion.
JPB

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 08:05 am
@revelette,
It's just more gamesmanship. It doesn't really give him that authority. It just gives him the authority to request the increases and then assumes that it wouldn't be rejected by a 2/3 majority. It's creative, I'll grant him that. And it's an attempt to get the debt ceiling raised in a manner that the nutcases in the house can't defeat but it's still a bullshit ploy. At least it's coming from a Republican.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 09:09 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

It's just more gamesmanship. It doesn't really give him that authority. It just gives him the authority to request the increases and then assumes that it wouldn't be rejected by a 2/3 majority. It's creative, I'll grant him that. And it's an attempt to get the debt ceiling raised in a manner that the nutcases in the house can't defeat but it's still a bullshit ploy. At least it's coming from a Republican.

It's too cute by half; a way for them to vote 'no' and still raise the debt ceiling. The presumption is that later, they can credibly say that they voted against the bill, and the vast majority of people will be too uninformed to know that no equals yes....

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 09:43 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

The republicans don't want any tax increases.

Americans, those that actually pay income taxes don't want any tax increases
and the group don't want Obama re-elected to a 2nd, more destructive term.
revelette

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:26 am
@H2O MAN,
So you figure the eighty percent who do some sort of revenue increase don't pay any taxes? My husband and I pay taxes and I want the tax increase in which the president has been talking about and I imagine most of those in the poll pay taxes as well.

revelette

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:36 am
@JPB,
Quote:
. It just gives him the authority to request the increases and then assumes that it wouldn't be rejected by a 2/3 majority.

I am not sure, but the article said the measure would give the president the authority to by pass congress.

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:41 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I think you got the right of it. But can McConnell get enough votes to pass that vote from his party or even democrats? It is a silly vote, if they pass that, they may as well pass a straight up raising of the debt ceiling vote. But if it gets done and avoids the disaster most economist predicts....then needs must I guess.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 11:18 am
@revelette,

I figure that more than 80% of American taxpayers are sick & tired of PrezBO.