CLICHE du jour

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 05:37 am
Like dragging fingers across the chalkboard (there even thats a cliche) our use and embrace of cliches drives me nutz. When I hear em I think of this great herd of grunting wildebeest who dont try anything unique in the grunts department.
My biggest earache this last year was the use and extreme overuse of the term
"AT the end of the day"
Godawful sounding , it seems to me that everyone in the present admin (especially) is given a list of phrases that they must beat into a pulp everytime these guys appear in a news blip.
I thought it was just the admin until I heard Paul Krugman use the phrase. Cant we , for Gods sake, be a little more creative in our public speech./
Maybe Im just not getting enough sleep.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,397 • Replies: 32
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 01:12 pm
At the crack of dawn; stumbling blocks; I think that clichés have bedded themselves in our languages much like a vein-eating virus would. I agree with you: they seem so passé, obviously.

Although I've been getting little sleep, too...

0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:02 pm
I suggest you lie in a quiet dark room at the same appointed time and let your mind drift keep at it and you will find yourself sleeping more......AT THE END OF THE DAY........
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:04 pm
Come on guys! Let's start thinking OUTSIDE THE BOX! (BUT I DIGRESS...)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:21 pm
The bottom line is; "at the end of the day" just isn't that bad.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:35 pm
I take it "at the end of the day" is being used as a sort of substitute for "the bottom line is"?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:38 pm
I don't get this thread at all. Shocked

Attepting to understand it makes me feel like a three-legged cat trying to bury a turd on a frozen pond.

That's not really a cliché now is it?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:42 pm
Adding insult to injury are the pundits who

Pause dramatically

Deliver the cliche

And then explain the cliche.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:43 pm
While they are pointing a finger at you.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:49 pm
You are the man...I stand in shock and awe... you rock, but please... don't go there.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 03:36 pm
Cats sooo don't try and bury stuff on frozen bodies of water...the number of legs makes almost no difference - at the end of the day...
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 03:39 pm
Yeah! What is this sooooooo, everything, lately? What is up with that, anyway??
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 03:45 pm
Heehee.....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 04:02 pm
whassup wit dat is like what da dillio.
Somehow these dont bother me. Its just those borg phrases.

At least cdK was tring to be creative in his speech. i salute that.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 04:11 pm
You dissin' me?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 04:19 pm
Hmmm - cliches are prolly just part of our thinking economics system - you know, the tendency to take short-cuts and store things in blocs, rather than re-do everything all the time. When they are new, they probably have the joy of good metaphors - (you know - that lovely aha feeling of revelation we get from a good metaphor - especially when someone uses one to encapsulate and advance our understanding of what we have just said to them - as a therapist I work in such metaphors all the time) and so they tend to stick in our minds as a shortcut - then everyone starts to use them, and we gradually move on.

Social groupings probably also like to have group-identity affirming cliched sayings like "soooooooo' and "whatevah" and "like".

I suppose not everyone has the mental creativity to come up with their own similes and metaphors - so they become like linguistic general currency.

I wonder what percentage of the population is actually annoyed by them?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 05:55 pm
I guess i just block many of them out of my sphere of speech recognition. its just that some of them , like "at the end of the day' are almost a govt'ese shibboleth that must be used in order to appear on Sun AM talking head shows
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 06:00 pm
Sure - part of the uniform...
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 06:19 pm
Let me be perfectly clear. The bottom line is, that at the end of the day, these thread bare phrases, set my teeth on edge, like fingers dragging across a chalk board.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 06:57 pm
I've never heard "at the end of the day" used very much. Maybe it's a local thing.
0 Replies