CLICHE du jour

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 08:41 pm
Just try to talk about football without using cliches every other sentence. No, more like every sentence. I write something, I grimace, I shrug, I carry on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 12:09 am
Well, there's the problem, watching Sunday morning talk shows. Break free, walk past the troubles - come on, get happy, live again! Buy American, no, I mean, smoke Lucky Strike!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 04:06 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I don't get this thread at all. Shocked

Attepting to understand it makes me feel like a three-legged cat trying to bury a turd on a frozen pond.

That's not really a cliché now is it?

Hahaha, Craven, I'm with you. I could not get what farmerman was saying... Razz

I guess he grumbles how boring the phrase "at the end of the day" is...

And what does the French "du jour" mean?

PS. I re-read the thread, and found there was only one phrase made me confused. The phrase is "the grunts department". It seems like a department in which everyone used to grunt anything.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 05:23 am
oristar, its what i do. i get annoyed at phrases that are so overused and , as deb said'part of the uniform'

You have correctly identified "grunts department'. You are getting quite masterful at picking up colloquial American English.
I think osso has the best solution, stay away from SUn AM TV shows.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 07:20 am
...and like ,Farmer, what about people who have to say your name at the end of every phrase Farmer (at the end of the day)???
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 09:29 am
How did I know that this thread would end up with a barrage of clichés? The only thing left to do is think of every cliché in the book, so that they are dead and buried.

Incidentally, Oristar, 'du jour' means 'of the day.'

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 11:04 am
vivien, the type of people who say your name at the end of every sentence are highly trained telephone marketers or farm equipt sales guys. there must e some school that teaches them to quickly associate your name and face and to keep reinforcing this by repeating your name.i agree that this is so phony sounding.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 11:06 am
What's wrong with cliches? Some of my best friends use cliches...oops!! Damn!!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 11:58 am
The fact of the matter is this; clichés are so many people's linguistic stumbling-blocks. Very Happy

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 12:34 pm
I suppose it stops you having to think. Outside the box.

Anyone seen "Bullshit Bingo"?
No? Well, wake up and smell the coffee.

http://www.perkigoth.com/home/kermit/stuff/bullshitbingo/
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 02:03 pm
Bullshit bingo. I am so impressed with that game.the mind of a genius , bored out of his or her skulls came up with that.of course ill substitute other words or phrases like 'a paradigm shift" or "skills set" (that last one will be for my faculty version. oOh OOh I need some faculty meeting gems for those kinds of meetings
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 03:41 pm
Thank heavens that I never lasted long in a job that required meetings; years ago, in need of money to keep me from being evicted, I worked for this company selling gas to unsuspecting victims (get the party started!) The boss' every sentence usually contained at least one of these words:

pro-active
got-to-get
go-getter
customercentric
Experience-based.

Gah!

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 03:50 am
nice-to-have
predicated upon
blue sky
level playing field
buy in
etc

Miles Kington in The Independent writes amusingly about this, occasionally.
0 Replies