The Fantasy Fantasy A2K NFL Pick-Um Thread for 2011-2012

spendius

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 06:01 am
@spendius,
A "spot fix" is not a match fix.

A snooker player can win a frame and then deliberately fail to go on and score a century. There is a betting market on number of centuries in a match, in a tournament and even on the one frame.

And computer betting is astonishing.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 07:04 am
I'm having serious second thoughts about the Packers-Chargers game.
Not enough to change my pick.
Yet.
Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 07:24 am
@George,
FWIW, for me the reconsideration pick is the Steelers - Ravens. The main thing with your's is the location at SD home field and SD is 3-0 at home this season. Of course, at same time, Packers being undefeated are 4-0 and are heavy faves and are coming off a bye-week.

OTOH, Rivers and the Chargers have GOT to look much better than they've been - particularly after those last 2 stinkers - actually 3... 'cause they stunk in their win at Denver, too. Mebbe the worm has turned? After all, they're in a 3-way battle (at 4-3) for their Div. lead. High motivation factor to win here.

FWIW, Packers have been showing somewhat of a porous Defense (289 yd avg allowed) against the pass as compared to SD Chargers (186 yd avg).
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 08:56 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
It is beyond very difficult. QBs are obviously particularly vulnerable so paying them high wages helps to reduce any temptations that might come their way. I see it as a flaw in NFL that one player has so much influence on a game.

The essential aspect of offensive NFL football is a "flaw," in your opinion?

Golly ... maybe we better rethink these dang rules we've been following over on this side of the pond.
spendius

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 09:32 am
@Ticomaya,
With all due respect Tico I think you miss the point. I was simply speculating on the existence of the billion dollar a week unregulated betting market with modern communications facilities and the excessive influence a QB has on a game. When NFL rules were thought up, as opposed to having evolved like cricket and our football did, that vast betting market did not exist and neither did the communication systems.

It's a bigger deal than you might think. One incident, just one, can seriously tarnish the game. Cricket has just been tarnished. A suspicion arises in the public mind that these pro-sportsmen are having us on. That it is a form of ballet dancing. But I will admit that the enthusiasm for the WWW suggests many are not bothered about such things and that the spectacle is what matters, the colour and the movement, and having a highlight of the week/month worth getting out of the house for. Or choosing to watch it on the telly before other things. The type of adverts inserted into the broadcasts being a rough and ready guide to the psychology involved.

The chances are, in this game, that, given our knowledge, we have as much chance of picking the winner of a fixed game as we have the loser so it doesn't matter much. It will even out over the season. And we are only playing for fun anyway. Aren't we?
spendius

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 09:41 am
@spendius,
An important factor in making some players cynical is the denigration, bad mouthing and vilification the teams and individual players are often publicly subjected to if they fail the expectations of the supporters. It strains their loyalty to the public.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 09:45 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
FWIW, for me the reconsideration pick is the Steelers - Ravens
the steelers are riding a momentum wave from their huge win last week.
i don't see them having a bad game tomorrow...
Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 09:48 am
@Region Philbis,
I'm not climbing off the Steelers so count me in as a Steeler-believer ('speshully after the ass-whooping to Pats). Big Ben is not only just as slippery as he was, but he's throwing the ball more accurately than ever.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 09:51 am
@spendius,
I don't give the issue much thought, you are correct in that assumption, but how would you suggest the rules evolve to assuage your concern?
spendius

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 10:02 am
@Ticomaya,
It isn't my concern Tico but I bet it is for the theologians of NFL. One way it might evolve that would avoid these problems is to shoot 5 players on the losing side chosen by ballot. That's how the Romans avoided gladiators taking the piss out of them. A fine evolutionary mechanism it cannot be denied.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 10:06 am
@spendius,
I'm betting they don't give much thought to it either.
spendius

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 10:08 am
@Ticomaya,
I can't imagine that.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 02:27 pm
Week #9 Predictions...
Players are welcome to make changes before kickoff tomorrow, and we have yet to hear from Mysteryman. But this week as with week #8 there is not a lot of disagreement as to the outcomes of the games.
20 players x 14 matches = 280 picks. We agree on 86% of them vs 85% last week. The closest we come to a tossup is Cincy (12) @ Tenn (8). We all think Houston will win and only Region has Miami while Jespah alone has Tampa Bay, Indy and San Diego winning. Four other games have us split 18-2.
The smartest people here - Johnboy and Ragman - agree with the majority on every game. Nine players are out of step on just one game including 3 of the 4 players tied for 3rd place. Region, also in 3rd, differs on 5, I say 5, games. A make or break week for him. And Jespah disagrees on 6 of 'em.
mysteryman

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 08:51 pm
@realjohnboy,
Sorry I am so late with my picks.
My wife decided to throw me a birthday party, even though my birthday isnt till the 10th.
Anyway, here are my picks...

Kansas City
New Orleans
Washington
Buffalo
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Tennessee
Oakland
New England Patriots
Green Bay
Arizona
Baltimore
Chicago 28-21
jespah

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 05:40 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Week #9 Predictions...
...Region, .... A make or break week for him. And Jespah disagrees on 6 of 'em.

And now you have a window into our home life.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 07:16 am
@mysteryman,
Many happies, M-Man!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 08:21 am
I understand that Jespah, Rhys and George will be running in a 5K in Boston today. It looks like the weather will be fine.
I wonder if Jespah will run in the correct direction.
wandeljw

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 08:24 am
@realjohnboy,
The four people tied for third are Spendius, JPB, Region, and myself.

By Tuesday I believe there will be no more than two people tied for third.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 08:31 am
@realjohnboy,
And JoeNation and Thomas are running the New York Marathon - I'm assuming they're at or near the start line right about now.
spendius

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 10:18 am
@wandeljw,
Your mates on the evolution threads won't be happy that you believe in things wande.
0 Replies