San Diego
St Louis
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia (30-27)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 01:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Was there for 10 days, with wife and daughter: watched equestrian cross-country, field hockey, wrestling, volleyball, basketball, fencing, soccer, judo, karate and several athletics competitions.
Great city, Guadalajara. Hadn't been there in 16 years.
A fulfilling but exhausting experience.
JPB

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 01:16 pm
Week #9 Schedule (Nov 6th and 7th):
Early-
Miami @ Kansas City
Tampa Bay @ New Orleans
San Francisco @ Washington
NY Jets @ Buffalo
Cleveland @ Houston
Atlanta @ Indianapolis
Seattle @ Dallas
Late-
Cincinnati @ Tennessee
Denver @ Oakland
NY Giants @ New England Patriots
Green Bay @ San Diego
St Louis @ Arizona
Sunday night-
Baltimore @ Pittsburgh
Monday night-
Chicago @ Philadelphia (28-10)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 01:19 pm
@fbaezer,
I haven't been there since '66 (egads) when a friend and I also spent ten days in the city, which I really liked, still have the photos of. No doubt it's changed a lot since then. I had two friends at the Autonoma (you and I have talked about that before on a2k), one a med student from Egypt and the other a fellow from Chihuahua who dated a friend of mine in LA. Between them and their friends we got to see some of the non tourist aspects of the city (smiles, remembering the mardi gras type celebration at the school - I've never danced all night before or since much less to a band with tubas. I learned to meringue..)

So, yes, even back then interesting and exhausting.

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 01:35 pm
We will have a full house as soon as Spendius, Mysteryman and Cowdoc make their picks.
spendius

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 02:21 pm
@realjohnboy,
Chiefs
Saints
49ers
Bills
Texans
Falcons
Cowboys

Titans
Raiders
Patriots
Packers
Cardinals

Steelers

Eagles 34 --24.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 02:27 pm
@spendius,
Thanks. I left out Rhys who has yet to pick.
George

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 02:36 pm
@realjohnboy,
My bad.
I forgot to send him the list.
OK, sent it.

I must say, spendius has done well with his picks this week.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 02:38 pm
@George,
I think JPB and EhBeth have chosen well..

or this could be bad news for them.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 02:39 pm
@George,
Only Monday night will determine that George.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 03:15 pm
@George,
George wrote:
I must say, spendius has done well with his picks this week.

He screwed up and picked the Cardinals ...
spendius

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 03:56 pm
@Ticomaya,
Is there a rumour of a virus in the camp?
spendius

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 03:58 pm
@spendius,
I never look at anybody else's picks. As I scroll past them they are just a jumble of names.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 04:59 pm
@spendius,
Rhys pipes up:
KC
NO
SF
Buff
Hou
Atl (Indianapolis is just like a czar named Ivan: terrible)
Dal
Cin
Oak
NE
GB
AZ
Balt
Chi (27-10)
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 05:09 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Only Monday night will determine that George.
That's why they play the games.
spendius

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 06:17 pm
@George,
There are other reasons they play the game George.

After the jailing of three Pakistani Test Match cricketers for fixing "three 1st down and 10s to have no gain at agreed points on a drive" we are all rather confused about the billion dollar a week unregulated betting industry in Asia.

One imagines that the video camera in the brief case is now a thing of the past. Like robbing banks with guns is now that it can be done with a fountain pen.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 06:28 pm
@spendius,
I read the story about the fixing of games, but I didn't understand exactly what they are accused of doing to throw the match.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 09:32 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Is there a rumour of a virus in the camp?

Backup QB is playing. Might be an improvement, I suppose.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 09:49 pm
@realjohnboy,
Kansas City
New Orleans
Washington
Buffalo
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Tennessee
Oakland
New England
Green Bay
Arizona
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia 27, Chicago 21
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 05:15 am
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
I read the story about the fixing of games, but I didn't understand exactly what they are accused of doing to throw the match.

A "no ball" is when the bowler oversteps the front line of the crease in delivering the missile (5.5--5.75 ounces) in trying to get as near the batsman as possible. The bowling side concedes one run for a "no ball" and the batsman cannot be out off it.

It is also a "no ball" if the umpires consider the bowler is throwing or if the ball arrives at the batting crease on the full pitch above the batsman's waist.

The fix in question was for three "no balls" to be bowled at prearranged points in the game. As the bowler concerned delivers at about 90 mph the batsman has no time to react to the umpire's "no ball" signal and cannot take advantage of the free hit. So in the context of a five day Test Match in which 1000 runs might be scored the conceding of three runs off these "no balls" is very unlikely to effect the result of the match. "No balls" are quite common as the bowlers are straining to dislodge the batsman. There could easily be 40 in a Test Match. It's no big deal. Just as three no-gains on three 1st down and 10s at prearranged points is unlikely to influence a game result. In both instances the players are trying to win the rest of the time.

Such things wouldn't happen in the UK because the amount of money required to tempt players to do these things could not be recovered in betting without bookmakers and police becoming suspicious. But the betting markets in Asia are very large and unregulated.

If the NFL wants to avoid the risk of such things, a fumbled snap or a foot in the sidelines say, then it should consider not broadcasting games in those areas. And generally, to avoid all risk, gambling on these games should be outlawed. But that's prohibition and has other dangers. There is a gambling streak in human nature.

The CEO of darts and snooker has said that there is no answer except the education of the players which basically constitutes a wing and a prayer with the amounts available to bribe players with. Players can injure themselves and never play again and I hardly think they could switch to brain surgery or banking if that happens.

It is beyond very difficult. QBs are obviously particularly vulnerable so paying them high wages helps to reduce any temptations that might come their way. I see it as a flaw in NFL that one player has so much influence on a game.

The bowler, who was 19 at the time, claimed originally that his family had been threatened if he failed to co-operate.