I can't tell you how many hours I spent at kitchen table not drinking my milk. Easily hundreds. Massive waste of time and angst. In my family's tough years, when the milk must have been relatively expensive, I remember a plop of tuna, say a fourth of a can, some boiled carrots, and some boiled peas. I liked the peas and the tuna was ok. Hours would pass. And I was a mid teen. Stayed up late to write the essay, and so on, after the long sit. I like carrots fine now, but it has taken me quite a while to get there. Just about never like cooked ones.
I was a happy girl when I got a job and could eat dinner at the hospital I worked at. I loved the hospital food, which took up some of my pay. I found out long later that it was full fat milk I didn't like, gag city.. I could tolerate skim milk and liked chocolate milk. In all those years, I was on and off of calcium pills - which probably cost more than the milk.
It's only fitting now that I am rather fond of bourbon and chocolate milk. It would serve my parents right except that they aren't here anymore to yammer at. I was a skinny kid, and am fairly skinny now, but have plumped off and on in between. The one bone scan I've had was "above average", but that was a while ago.
So, now I watch Los Angeles consider cutting out chocolate milk in schools as it is posited to be an obesity factor.
All I can say is no, don't do that. I still drink it and I'm still on the skinny side.
I do understand that there are arguments about dairy products, but given that we have them in schools, give chocolate milk a break.