How well do you think we know each other?

Ragman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:12 am
@joefromchicago,
Yes, but how well do you type and how quickly can you access the Internet in real life? LOL
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:12 am
@joefromchicago,
Do you wear virtual lifts?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:17 am
@joefromchicago,
even wittier at an a2k get together
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 01:48 pm
One of the things that's missing from our a2k personnas is spontaneity. Writing gives us a chance to think about what we want to say and how to say it.

When I see someone say something mean-spirited, I know that the person intended exactly that. Makes me wonder whether such people are actually like that in person.
farmerman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 04:19 pm
@Roberta,
Oh we certainly are. I am as mean as a black snake.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 04:27 pm
This is all so interesting. Thank you so much for your replies.

As I've been pondering your replies I've looked back over some old threads and I've thought to myself "I used to be funny. When did I stop being funny? Why did I get so serious?"

So I asked Mr. B "When did I stop being funny?" and he said "You're still funny.... when you're brother is around...... and when you're talking to strangers....." People who I've met in the last few years don't even know that I used to be funny.

I think I"m having an identity crisis.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 04:41 pm
@Roberta,
I'm pretty damned spontaneous. This is sometimes a fault. As someone else, cyclo I think, mentioned finding out what he thinks as he is writing, yes, I relate to that. I often learn what I think as I speak or type.. not entirely kidding. Obviously some of the basis of my thinking, some of the connections I make, are already in place, but they coalesce - or maybe even become new to me as with a new nuance - much of the time when words form in my speech or my writing. My word play has been known to not help matters either. Being very cheerful, very exhausted, or having too much wine have each been tripper uppers.

I know some here are very careful with their writing. I like our differences.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 08:05 pm
@boomerang,
I dont remember you being funny. Was that a recent manifestation? Can you post with your brother around so we can see for ourselves. I rather like funny posts and get really tired of my obsession with things geological. Id like to be able to talk freely (without screaming) about topics that are light and airy.

Whenever someone asks a question that I can help, I usually add my two cents and do it with all intentions that the information would be valuable to the asker. Then when whoever asks the question never shows up again really steams my clams. I always say"once bitten, second time I kick your ass down the hall " (spmething like that). SO I know that I can never be "Funny" in the sense that several others are funny. I take these threads too seriously , and only rarely do I show a lighter side.

So dont worry if your not funny. Lots of us are that way and we seem to get on fairly well. It is a lonely life though, especially when someone blows you off in a thtread.

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 08:22 pm
What you see is what you get, I'm here, I'm queer, get use to it honey!
dlowan

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 08:26 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

What you see is what you get, I'm here, I'm queer, get use to it honey!

Already was used to it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 08:28 pm
@jcboy,
When I said "blow me off" I meant it in the sense that I was being ignored, unless this is somehow an attempt at humor?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 09:16 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:

I think I"m having an identity crisis.
Judging from A2K that would be the drip, drip, drip, of being the parent of a challenging kid. It is draining serious business.

You probably need more vacations or week-ends away with just you and your man, something that I am betting that you almost never do.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 09:49 pm
I am who I am both here and in real life. Real life I'm slightly more contemplative, but it's just that ya'll can't see me mulling over what you said before I respond.

I'm also a friend to Farmerman. I'd blow a Saturday helpin' him get his tractor outta the muck. If'n it was stuck good, I'd be back out there with him on Sunday if need be. Wouldn't pass up the chance to share that time, or to rib him about it later. I refer to him in real life as a friend. Doesn't matter to me that he calls it something else. It is what it is.

And, that goes for all of you. : )
RisingToShine

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:37 pm
@boomerang,
Being a new user of a2k this thread has made me even more grateful for finding such a website. It seems evident to me friendships have been made from reading some responses. If friendship is not the proper word to be used, connection definitely suits it well. Connections in which are unique and special.
Admittedly, I have become obsessed with checking for any new responses.
I often think of people as complex security systems in which anything with value or meaning is locked away safe within its confinements. In which each layer can slowly be opened through expressing a subject that aligns with the inside qualities but will also put on another protective layer if felt threatened. By seeing people as this, I only wish to know every right word to speak to unlock what is hidden beneath their protective outer layer. But this process takes much time and since each individual is complex, only a select few can be worked upon throughout a lifetime. A2k has broken through this security system because when your identity is confined, your inner state is not threatened and can then be revealed. So those who would be recognizable in real life are those who do not feel threatened by the people around them and can easily express their thoughts.

As for me, some would recognize me, but majority of people, no. For I only choose to show people my true self when I feel they can relate. And of course, to all these strangers on this website...
dlowan

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 11:25 pm
@squinney,
You're a good dog.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 11:28 pm
@RisingToShine,
Welcome!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 11:53 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
What do you think? Would people in the real world recognize you here? Would they know that what you write is what you think? Would people here recognize you (ideologically, not visually) in the real world?

I think people in the real world would recognize me here because I don't write or say anything I don't think. That's one thing I am absolutely incapable of - pretending to believe something I don't.

In real life, I walk around and look at nature and take pictures and in my car and when I'm home I'm constantly listening to music - pretty much all that I do here.

I love my job and have loads of debates- in fact at least several times daily - about philosophical, religious, political, ethical and moral issues - read the daily mail and mirror every day (british tabloids) and talk and laugh about the stories - tell jokes - revel in life's absurdities - which I used to do here - not so much anymore now as I do that there, in real life.

I love and am committed to the well-being of children around the world in real life. I think I've expressed that here.

Now that my kids are big, I spend a lot of my free time alone - walking with my dog and a camera around my neck - searching out beauty basically.
I spend most of my time on this forum alone - communicating about or sharing the beauty I've found. I figure someone somewhere might be comforted by it, as I am. It makes me happy.

I love and talk about food here and love and talk about food in real life - in real life, I cook it too.

I don't ever feel the need to hurt or belittle someone for my own pleasure and/or satisfaction in real life and I don't feel the need to do that here either.
But if someone needs to be told to '**** off' I have no problem saying that here - just like I have no problem saying it in real life.

So yeah - I think you'd recognize me in real life - having said that - I don't feel that I really 'know' anyone on this forum.
I have a general idea of who David is and I think I get Miklos, and Joe Nation seems to be the real deal. But they're the only ones I've met - however briefly. I don't think I can know someone until I meet them.
I would like to meet Saab. I think she and I would have a lot in common. And I always love meeting people who have come from different places and circumstances than mine.

But just as when I have something really important to talk about with someone - even if they're my best friend and I've known them for ages - I like to tell them face to face - I need to see their expressions to gauge their true reactions.
You can't do that here - and so for me - I take this all with a grain of salt.

Oh yeah - and I also love word games and puzzles in real life as I do here.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 12:09 am
@aidan,
Quote:
What do you think? Would people in the real world recognize you here?
Would they know that what you write is what you think?
Would people here recognize you (ideologically, not visually) in the real world?
aidan wrote:
I spend most of my time on this forum alone - communicating about or sharing the beauty I've found.
I figure someone somewhere might be comforted by it, as I am.
It makes me happy.
Truth is defined by BEAUTY

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 12:21 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
What do you think?
Would people in the real world recognize you here?
Would they know that what you write is what you think?
Would people here recognize you (ideologically, not visually) in the real world?

What do you think?
Mildly amusing, I think:
A few years ago (pre-2008), I went to Columbia University
for a debate of the historical derivation n the jurisprudential evolution
of the 2nd Amendment. Some cyber-friends I 'd not met face-to-face
agreed to attend. During Q & A, I raised some challenges n concerns
and argued a few points, at whose conclusion one of my yet un-met
cyber-friends approached me. He recognized me from my ideological position.

David
farmerman

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 04:57 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I submit that there are several unrecognized phrases that you use frequently with which you can be identified out in the sun. I know Ive got a bunch(except with you and I, noone will be able to recognize our rotten spelling during any "facia a facia" conversation .