Bob Wells died today.

wandeljw

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 08:00 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

farewell, but not goodbye -

I would like to echo that. Bob and our favorite encounters with Bob will never be forgotten.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 08:18 am
Thinking of Bob, those who were there today, and those who wish they could be - knowing that the list is long.

RIP Bob.

Gentle hugs to Diane.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 11:28 pm
So, re me -

tonight we had a progressively wonderful meet at, where else, the Flying Star.

There was Bumblebeeboogie, newly agile. Butrflynet dropped her and me off to go park in the back lot, and I opened the cafe door for her. She darted off with her cane and I couldn't keep up with her with my own 'issues' re entry into darker rooms. I happen to hate barging into people that I don't see, you see. I'm, as you all know, odd in space, but not all that odd given adaptation, and that woman is fast. Seems to have changeable listening and strong assertion.

At any rate, while we were there first, the disabled BBB was circling the very large and noisy room, and BFN managed to get the attention of a manager and secure a table for us all.

Diane and Thomas and Eva arrived. BFN had secured us a very good seating near the front door. Godbless BFN.

So, anyway, hours went by and the talk was interesting, good, rich. BBB's talk was a good part of it. I have trouble hearing her, but I got the gist. The quietest was Butrfly, who was meantime very observant. The super talker was Eva, all to the good, wonderful, we were enchanted, and I don't mean that mockingly. I had trouble hearing her, but (I think it was Diane) suggested she and Thomas change seats, and that did the trick re my getting what she said.

I've never seen Thomas smile so fully, and I've met him several times.

Our laughter may have been the loudest noise for a pocket in the restaurant except for the music system which started up about half way through our get together.

I won't claim Bob liked the Flying Star, but in my observation he did like our gatherings there.

Well, except for the time he and Walter got lost.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 11:55 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I won't claim Bob liked the Flying Star, but in my observation he did like our gatherings there.

Bob liked one Flying Star better than the other.

And we didn't get lost (I suppose, you're referring to that meeting, we arrived late). We knew where we were, but not how to come to café from there Wink
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 11:59 pm
@ossobuco,
In honor of Bob, Thomas had tofu.

Diane, Thomas and Eva all got various pies and cakes for dessert. Watching them share and trade hunks of sweet stuff back and forth between plates was fun to watch. Reminded me of knitting with all the forks dodging under and over one another as they reached for a plate of goodness.

Thomas was not only smiling fully from ear to ear, his face was frequently beet red as a wave of TMI and bawdy stories filled the conversation over dessert.

It was the first time in more than 3 years that BBB was able to have an evening out of the house other than to a hospital. I think she enjoyed herself and was thrilled to have good company to chat with.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 12:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Ja, the whole thing about Rio Grande Boulevard..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 12:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Like, an hour...

as I remember, it went well after that.
Which Flying Star did he say he liked? The one near Corrales?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 01:59 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

So, re me -

tonight we had a progressively wonderful meet at, where else, the Flying Star.

There was Bumblebeeboogie, newly agile. Butrflynet dropped her and me off to go park in the back lot, and I opened the cafe door for her. She darted off with her cane and I couldn't keep up with her with my own 'issues' re entry into darker rooms. I happen to hate barging into people that I don't see, you see. I'm, as you all know, odd in space, but not all that odd given adaptation, and that woman is fast. Seems to have changeable listening and strong assertion.

At any rate, while we were there first, the disabled BBB was circling the very large and noisy room, and BFN managed to get the attention of a manager and secure a table for us all.

Diane and Thomas and Eva arrived. BFN had secured us a very good seating near the front door. Godbless BFN.

So, anyway, hours went by and the talk was interesting, good, rich. BBB's talk was a good part of it. I have trouble hearing her, but I got the gist. The quietest was Butrfly, who was meantime very observant. The super talker was Eva, all to the good, wonderful, we were enchanted, and I don't mean that mockingly. I had trouble hearing her, but (I think it was Diane) suggested she and Thomas change seats, and that did the trick re my getting what she said.

I've never seen Thomas smile so fully, and I've met him several times.

Our laughter may have been the loudest noise for a pocket in the restaurant except for the music system which started up about half way through our get together.

Very Happy

lovely to read...
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 02:00 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

In honor of Bob, Thomas had tofu.

heh heh...

so glad you were all together, very pleased to hear how well BBB is doing Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 02:16 am
@ossobuco,
A good wake then. With cake instead of whisky?

I hope someone had a good bourbon for Bob.

He'd have had something to say about the tofu!

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 09:15 am
Thanks for the news from the Flying Star, ossoB and BFN. Love the description of BBB darting around. The combo of BFN and BBB sounds very Muhammed Ali Very Happy

(floats like a butterfly. stings like a bee)

a blushing Thomas. sounds mahvellous.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 11:20 am
I was sort of in charge and, being disorganized, I forgot Bob. My hands flew to my face and I said, "my god, I forgot Bob!! Luckily, we hadn't gone far, so we didn't take very long to go back so that I could collect Bob. We were on our way again without further faux pas. Well, I did have to go back for my hat, but at least we were still in the driveway.

The meeting at Rio Grande Gorge bridge was as perfect; one of our friends brought flowers to throw into the water and mentioned that we might see Bob as his ashes continued down the river toward Albuquerque. I had prepared little bags with some of Bob's ashed so that everyone could toss the ashes over the railing.

At lunch, Bob's cousin gave me a bracelet that Bob had made. She wanted me to have it in memory of Bob. I wore an "insegrevious" t-shirt, Beva and Michael drove the Porche (Bob sold it to them last year), and Eva wore a jacket with lines that appeared to be mountains.

Connie, Bob's cousin, said a lovely poem, which was a wonderful touch, making the experience very special.
Thomas shared some of Bob's stories.

My sincere thanks to all who came and to all who sent their wishes. We knew you were there in spirit.

Love to all,

Diane
Izzie

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 11:59 am
@Diane,
Diane wrote:

I was sort of in charge and, being disorganized, I forgot Bob. My hands flew to my face and I said, "my god, I forgot Bob!!

Diane... I imagine that Bob woulda had a little chuckle about that! Wink

It is so good to see you (((((((Diane))))))) - have been thinking of you over the weekend, so pleased you had friends and Bob's family with you xxxx
wandeljw

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 12:22 pm
@Izzie,
I agree, Izzie. In fact I can hear Bob laughing at all of us.

Thank you, sweet Diane, for all of your sharing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 03:24 pm
@Diane,
She forgot Bob.....the poifect touch! Bob would have loved it.

So glad the Porsche went.

(((((((((((((((Diane)))))))))))))
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 03:34 pm
@dlowan,
I was physically unable to make the trip to Taos with Diane and friends. So I was glad to hear their stories about their love of Bob when we went for dinner last night. I nearly fell out of my chair when Diane told me "she forgot Bob." I love Diane's sense of humor and how she could laugh about it.

BBB
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 08:46 pm
I'm bound to repeat a lot that other people have said before. Nevertheless, here's my perspective.

After spending a very pleasant Friday with Diane and Eva, the three of us took off to Taos Saturday morning, about 3 hours North of Albuquerque. Diane was worried we might be a little late. I tried to reassure her: "They can't start without Bob, and he's right here with us, so don't worry." Diane immediately face-palmed herself: "U-oh, no we don't. We've got to turn around." Eva said that she had thought of asking, but that, being a Southern lady, she'd thought better of it:"No, I will. Not. Say that."

Anyway, we arrived on time and had lunch with Osso, Roger, a couple from Bob's family and another couple that's been friends of his. Then we drove to the Rio Grande Gorge bridge, a landmark from which Bib had wanted his ashes launched into the Rio Grande because it was remote, idyllic, and quiet.

Except that it wasn't.

Instead, there was a vibrant flea market where all kinds of people sold all kinds of stuff out the back of their cars. Here's one of their stands:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/302386_2434723476275_1497335898_32700234_135146475_n.jpg

The bikers you see walking out of the pictures on the right were not alone. Here's a few of their bikes:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/302386_2434723396273_1497335898_32700233_229856667_n.jpg

Just behind the traffic light is the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/302386_2434723676280_1497335898_32700237_477174418_n.jpg

If you're wondering why Bob chose this place, just take a look down into the Gorge. The view is magnificent, this picture doesn't begin to do it justice:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/302386_2434723556277_1497335898_32700236_139930617_n.jpg

Considering the traffic, the masses of people, and the massive construction on the bridge, you all won't be surprised to hear that the funeral was unusually short and unceremonious. Bob's friend C read a poem. (C is the lady in the black sweater with the collie at the very right of the picture below.) Then Diane handed out the ashes, and we took turns releasing them into the gorge. Finally, we all posed for the obligatory group picture.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/302386_2434723516276_1497335898_32700235_1325018746_n.jpg

Notice all the smiles. They were not just someone's-taking-our-picture kind of smiles. As funerals go, this one was just about as enjoyable as it gets. I think Bob would have approved.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 08:49 pm
@Thomas,
thanks, Thomas.

nice photos...
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 09:00 pm
@Thomas,
Thanks for the great photos, Thomas!
0 Replies

edgarblythe