Baldimo

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 10:43 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I suppose it is ok for a Dem governor to do a similar thing?

http://www.redstate.com/2013/05/27/cowardly-colorado-governor-hickenlooper-commutes-death-sentence-until-end-of-term/
cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 10:47 am
@cicerone imposter,
Hot off the press.
Quote:
Did Obama just hand GOP a weapon to use against endangered Democrats?
Obama said that it didn't hurt his feelings that some Democrats in red or swing states didn't want to campaign with him, because 'these are all folks who vote with me' – a point that GOP rivals have been making all along.
revelette2

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:17 am
@cicerone imposter,
I don't see the victory, to me he is saying they vote his way when it counts but he understands if they don't want to campaign with him given his poll numbers. It is just a practical statement. What was he supposed to say? Since, as usual you didn't provide a link, was he asked how he felt about it? Should he had just said, he didn't mind and leave it at that? Personally I find the political atmosphere petty in the extreme now a days. Liberals and democrats never have fought for their own beliefs or their president.
0 Replies

revelette2

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:20 am
@Baldimo,
It is only assumed he will wait until the end of his term, but in the main, I agree. He should have taken a stand and went with it.
cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 11:23 am
@revelette2,
I'm not sure why you're asking where I got this information from, because most major media has covered it.

From the Washington Post.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/10/21/vulnerable-democrats-are-trying-to-distance-themselves-from-obama-but-their-voting-records-tell-a-very-different-story/
revelette2

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 12:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It is common to leave a link if you are referring to something you read in the news. People do not read every single news article of the day. The headline in your quote of the post I replied to previous is slanted different than this post, however, I agree with the Washington Post one.

Quote:
The numbers show that these candidates vote with the president, on average, 92 percent of the time. Iowa representative Bruce Braley "only" voted with Obama 69 percent of the time, making him one of the least enthusiastic Obama supporters among House or Senate Democrats. The other six senators all voted with the president more than 90 percent of the time.

So when Obama says that "these are all folks who vote with me," he's stating a simple and obvious truth. That a statement of fact can be largely interpreted as a gaffe, and used as fodder for negative campaign ads, illustrates the low status of frank speech in our current political discourse.

Such as the one you posted previously as follows:

Quote:
Hot off the press.

Quote:

Obama said that it didn't hurt his feelings that some Democrats in red or swing states didn't want to campaign with him, because 'these are all folks who vote with me' – a point that GOP rivals have been making all along.
cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 03:29 pm
@revelette2,
Same point made even if you can't see it.
revelette2

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 03:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No, it wasn't the same point at all, in fact the WP article was talking about the very same smear ads in which your original article (of which you have yet to leave a link with) was guilty of.

But of course, I am too blind to see your point, next you are going to "LOL."
cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 04:26 pm
@revelette2,
From first post,
Quote:
– a point that GOP rivals have been making all along.

Second post,
Quote:
 That a statement of fact can be largely interpreted as a gaffe, and used as fodder for negative campaign ads, illustrates the low status of frank speech in our current political discourse.

Please explain the difference?
revelette2

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 06:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Please explain the difference?

Quote:
The numbers show that these candidates vote with the president, on average, 92 percent of the time. Iowa representative Bruce Braley "only" voted with Obama 69 percent of the time, making him one of the least enthusiastic Obama supporters among House or Senate Democrats. The other six senators all voted with the president more than 90 percent of the time.

So when Obama says that "these are all folks who vote with me," he's stating a simple and obvious truth. That a statement of fact can be largely interpreted as a gaffe, and used as fodder for negative campaign ads, illustrates the low status of frank speech in our current political discourse.

Quote:
Hot off the press.

Quote:

The quote right above, where you put "Hot off the Press" (as though it was breaking news or something) was an article playing into the GOP hands by making Obama's simple statement of fact into a political gaffe. The WP article was commenting on the fact that today's political climate is such that a simple factual statement is used as fodder for campaign ads which ironically enough your first article ("Hot off the Press") illustrates.
hawkeye10

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 06:28 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
That a statement of fact can be largely interpreted as a gaffe, and used as fodder for negative campaign ads, illustrates the low status of frank speech in our current political discourse.

Like Biden saying what he and a lot of other top American officials have said for years about Turkey and the Saudis connection to ISIS and like groups. He was made to apologize several times, and Obama apologized for him too. It is funny isn't it how we heard barely a peep out of the media about how ridiculous and phoney this all was, and about what liars Biden and Obama were when they were apologizing.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 06:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Don't let Baldino or coldjerkknow, but: oteVay lyearay, otevay tenofay.

We have to vote just to let them know there is an opposition and we do pay attention. We have to disabuse these fascists of their notion that they are some sort of great majority.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 06:36 pm
@revelette2,
One thing I do because cj doesn't often post a link is search the first sentence of his unattributed quote. A lot of times with cj is I get a link to Snopes, but I acan almost always find something.

CI is pretty darn clear about his information, he doesn't need to cite it every single time and for commonly accepted information, like 1% of this nation owns more than half of it.
hawkeye10

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 06:48 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
cj doesn't often post a link

that is lack of consideration of others right there.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 06:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
He's making most of it up as he goes. Sometimes when he puts up a link its gone. I search most of his "quotes"
0 Replies

revelette2

Wed 22 Oct, 2014 09:56 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
OK, I did that and found it. It really wasn't hard, don't know why CI posted the one on WP which was a completely different article.

Did Obama just hand GOP a weapon to use against endangered Democrats? (+video)

According to this, we can look forward to Mitch McConnell being majority leader. Ugh!!
bobsal u1553115

Thu 23 Oct, 2014 06:30 am
@revelette2,
There's so many blogs and journals out there that sometimes it takes an effort to find the source. My rule of thumb is search it before I refute it. A lot of times with cj the web site he got it from refutes itself.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 23 Oct, 2014 07:31 am
Texas’ massive screw-up: How Rick Perry failed a basic test on Ebola

The Ebola crisis was supposed to be Perry's moment to shine. Instead he's hoping no one notices the incompetence

The Ebola situation in the United States seems to be under control, and there’s hope – assuming that no other infections occur – that the issue will cease to be an issue that opportunistic politicians can demagogue in the hopes of (literally) scaring up a few votes for themselves. And that’s a welcome development in terms of both public and political health here in the U.S. An expeditious end to the crisis should also help to restore a certain measure of faith in the public institutions tasked with preserving public health, and whose reputations have suffered some dings over the past few weeks.

But let’s stay on the politics of Ebola for just a little while longer and take a harder look at one person who stood to reap huge political benefits from the crisis, and not through fear-mongering about Ebola-infected terrorists or catching the disease at cocktail parties. I’m talking about Rick Perry, who found himself thrust into the center of the Ebola crisis after Thomas Eric Duncan checked himself into a Dallas hospital with a fever.

If you haven’t heard, Rick Perry is on a “comeback” tour. Heading into the 2016 election cycle, he’s working hard to project the image of a “new” Rick Perry – a bespectacled man of action who gets things done and is nothing like the stumbling boob who flamed out in the 2012 Republican primary. He’s has had great success in appealing to journalists and pundits who love political redemption stories and will help Perry nurture that narrative along.

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/23/texas_massive_screw_up_how_rick_perry_failed_a_basic_test_on_ebola/
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 23 Oct, 2014 07:40 am
"Poor teeth"
Poor teeth, I knew, beget not just shame but more poorness: people with bad teeth have a harder time getting jobs and other opportunities. People without jobs are poor. Poor people can’t access dentistry – and so goes the cycle....
"The Shame of Poor Teeth in a Rich World"

http://aeon.co/magazine/health/the-shame-of-poor-teeth-in-a-rich-world/?utm_source=Aeon+newsletter&utm_campaign=744e77fcb2-Daily_Newsletter_23_Oct_201410_23_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-744e77fcb2-68622033

In the past year, the Affordable Care Act, or ‘ObamaCare’, has changed many lives for the better – mine included. But its omission of dental coverage, a result of political compromise, is a dangerous, absurd compartmentalisation of health care, as though teeth are apart from and less important than the rest of the body...

Upper-class supremacy is nothing new. A hundred years ago, the US Eugenics Records Office not only targeted racial minorities but ‘sought to demonstrate scientifically that large numbers of rural poor whites were genetic defectives’, as the sociologist Matt Wray explains in his book Not Quite White: White Trash and the Boundaries of Whiteness (2006). The historian and civil rights activist W E B du Bois, an African American, wrote in his autobiography Dusk of Dawn (1940) that, growing up in Massachusetts in the 1870s, ‘the racial angle was more clearly defined against the Irish than against me. It was a matter of income and ancestry more than colour’. Martin Luther King, Jr made similar observations and was organizing a poor-people’s march on Washington at the time of his murder in 1968...
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 23 Oct, 2014 08:26 am
Fox News Tell Young Women Not To Vote
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/22/fox-news-young-women-voters-kimberly-guilfoyle-midterm-election_n_6028054.html

"The Five" co-host Kimberly Guilfoyle said Tuesday that young women should excuse themselves from voting in the upcoming midterm elections because they don't share the same "life experience" as older women and should just go back to playing around on Tinder and Match.com.

"It's the same reason why young women on juries are not a good idea," Guilfoyle said. "They don't get it!"
-

Well, what do you make of that?