bobsal u1553115

Mon 23 Jun, 2014 09:14 pm
@coldjoint,
Yeah but you don't trust the WSJ, buttwad. You are most consistent in your inconsistency.
coldjoint

Mon 23 Jun, 2014 09:17 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
It has not a goddammed thing to do with the Koran,

Everything Islamic has to do with the Koran. The rights of a Muslim according to their scripture are not protected. When they are religious freedom is gone.

Again you don't have a clue. Stick to your memes and distractions from the real problems with a incompetent, traitorous administration.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 23 Jun, 2014 09:19 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Yeah but you don't trust the WSJ, buttwad.

Tell us fuckstick, who can we believe? Obama has no credibility. He can't even lead the country anymore(as if he ever could).
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 11:35 am

Republicans Have FINALLY Admitted Why They Really Hate Obamacare — Here Are The 4 Reasons

By Tiffany Willis on June 23, 2014

http://www.liberalamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/19-obamacare-ad.w560.h373.2x.jpg

Yes, you read that headline correctly. There are (gasp) a whopping four primary talking points, er, reasons that Republicans hate Obamacare.

Jonathan Chait of the Daily Intelligencer compiled this insightful list that answers the question: precisely WHY do Republicans REALLY hate Obamacare? Besides the whole “follow-the-money-Republicans-in-bed-with-the-insurance-industry” thing, I mean.

Stupid Reason #1: Obamacare is mostly just signing up customers who already had insurance.

Wrong.

A Kaiser Family Foundation survey shows that 57 percent of enrollees didn’t have insurance prior to Obamacare.
http://www.vox.com/2014/6/19/5821662/survey-57-percent-of-obamacare-enrollees-were-previously-uninsured

Stupid Reason #2: Obamacare isn’t significantly reducing the ranks of the uninsured.

Wrong.

From Daily Intelligencer:

Gallup has showed the uninsured rate dropping by about a quarter. A report finds the uninsured rate in Minnesota has fallen by 40 percent. A study of numerous cities by the Robert Woods Johnson foundation projections projects declines of about 60 percent by 2016 in municipalities whose states expanded Medicaid, and half that in states where Republicans have maintained the party’s boycott of Obamacare.
obamacare chart

http://www.liberalamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/20-uninsured-decline.w560.h811.2x.jpg

Daily Intelligencer

Stupid Reason #3: Insurance will be so expensive that few people will want to buy it.

hahaha! Wrong.

The average plan that can be purchased on the exchanges costs about $82 per month. I personally pay just a little over $100 for one of the best of the plans offered on the exchange. I paid $700 to insure my entire family when I was paying for insurance through an employer. I couldn’t even be insured prior to Obamacare (pre-existing conditions), but even had I been completely free of pre-existing conditions, I would have paid hundreds if not thousands of dollars for privately purchased insurance.
Stupid Reason #4: But premiums will shoot up next year!

Wait for it….wrong!

As it turns out, not only will rates NOT go up next year, but insurers are suddenly in love with the marketplace and as they jump in, the prices go down. Premium increases are likely to go up only as much as they always have historically. Mine went up every year, by LOTS, when I had insurance that was offered by my employers.

http://www.liberalamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/20-insurance-premiums-changes.w560.h394.2x.jpg

Daily Intelligencer

So all of that says this: conservatives are going to find reasons to be negative regardless. As pointed out by Jonathan Chait, Republican rejections are now evolving in the way that their arguments always do: from the practical to the philosophical.

But at least conservatives are now representing their true bedrock position on Obamacare. It is largely a transfer program benefitting people who either don’t have enough money, or pose too high a health risk, to bear the cost of their own medical care. Conservatives don’t like transfer programs because they require helping the less fortunate with other peoples’ money.

This was the Cliff Notes version. To go in-depth, check out the Daily Intelligencer article. Let us know your thoughts at the Liberal America Facebook page.

Tiffany Willis is the founder and editor-in-chief of Liberal America. An unapologetic member of the Christian Left, she has spent most of her career actively working with “the least of these” and disadvantaged and oppressed populations. She’s passionate about their struggles. To stay on top of topics she discusses, like her Facebook page, follow her on Twitter, or connect with her via LinkedIn. She also has a grossly neglected personal blog and a literary quotes blog that is a labor of love. Find her somewhere and join the discussion.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 12:11 pm
US consumer confidence reaches a 6-year high
Email this Story

Jun 24, 11:06 AM (ET)

By PAUL WISEMAN

(AP) In this June 17, 2014 photo, a shopper looks at an item in the dairy section of a...
Full Image

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. consumers are more confident about the economy than they have been in more than six years.

The Conference Board's confidence index rose to 85.2 this month from a revised 82.2 in May, the private research group said Tuesday. The June figure is the highest since January 2008, a month after the Great Recession officially began.

More Americans are optimistic about business conditions and the outlook for jobs, though fewer expect their incomes will grow over the next six months.

"Still, the momentum going forward remains quite positive," Lynn Franco, a Conference Board economist, said.

The index compiled by the Conference Board shows that confidence has been rising steadily since bottoming at 25.3 in February 2009. It's well above last year's average of 72.3. But it still hasn't returned to full health. Before the recession, the index usually topped 90.

Consumers' attitudes are closely watched because their spending accounts for about 70 percent of U.S. economic activity.

Consumers registered the most favorable assessment of current business conditions since March 2008, and their outlook for the next months rose to highest level since August 2013. The percentage saying jobs are "plentiful" was 14.7 percent, highest since May 2008.

"Americans appear to have had a bit more of a spring in their step over the past two months," Jennifer Lee, senior economist with BMO Capital Markets, wrote in a research note.

An improving job market has brightened Americans' outlook.

The U.S. economy generated more than 200,000 jobs in May for the fourth straight month -- the longest such streak since 1999. The unemployment rate has tumbled to 6.3 percent in May from 7.5 percent a year earlier.

Icy weather put the economy in a deep freeze the first three months of the year: From January through March, the economy contracted at a 1 percent annual rate -- a figure that might be downgraded even more when the government issues updated first-quarter numbers Wednesday.

But economists expect the economy to pick up momentum as the year wears on and to be expanding at a 3 percent annual pace in the second half of 2014.

US new home sales rocket higher in May
Email this Story

Jun 24, 10:44 AM (ET)

By MARTIN CRUTSINGER

(AP) In this May 21, 2014 photo, a sign sits in front of a home for sale in West Des...
Full Image

WASHINGTON (AP) — Sales of new U.S. homes rose in May to the highest level in six years, providing the strongest signal yet that housing is recovering from a recent slowdown.

New home sales jumped 18.6 percent last month following a 3.7 percent increase in April, the Commerce Department reported Tuesday. The gains followed declines in February and March that were blamed in part on harsh winter weather.

The big May increase pushed the seasonally adjusted annual sales rate to 504,000, the highest level since May 2008.

"This is the strongest level since the end of the recession and is an encouraging sign that housing activity improved in the second quarter," Cooper Howes, an economist at Barclays Research, said in an analyst note.

Home sales peaked last year at an annual rate of 459,000 in June, but then lost altitude. The decline reflected an increase in mortgage rates that occurred after the Federal Reserve began discussing pulling back on its monthly bond purchases that were keeping long-term interest rates low.

The inventory of unsold new homes was unchanged at 189,000 homes at the end of May, the same as April. That inventory level would be depleted in 4.5 months at the May sales pace, an extremely low level that underscored the fact that the supply of new homes remains well below historic averages.

Sales were up in all regions of the country in May, led by a 54.5 percent surge in sales in the Northeast. New home sales rose 34 percent in the West and 14.2 percent in the South. The Midwest had the smallest month-over-month sales gain of just 1.4 percent.

Even with the big overall gain, sales of new homes are still running at just about half the pace of a healthy real estate market.

But there have been some encouraging signs of a spring rebound in housing.

The National Association of Realtors reported Monday that sales of previously owned homes jumped 4.9 percent in May, the biggest one-month gain in nearly three years. That increase pushed the sales rate to 4.89 million homes, the strongest showing since last October.

While economists were encouraged by the second straight monthly gain in existing home sales, they noted that the sales rate is still below the recent peak of 5.38 million sales hit last July.

Higher mortgage rates and the bad weather weighed on sales of both existing and new homes in late 2013 and early 2014. But sales seem to be staging a rebound, helped by solid job growth and growing inventories of homes for sale, a development that has helped to hold down price increases.

Economists say there is significant pent-up demand for homes as many potential buyers put off purchases over the past few years because of concerns about the economy.

0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 01:46 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Obamacare Exchanges Are ‘Disappointing’ With Fewer Than 4 Million Newly Insured. The Government Hoped for 26 Million.

http://dailysignal.com/wp-content/uploads/BL-obamacare-enrollment-attkisson-1.jpg
http://dailysignal.com/2014/06/24/obamacare-exchanges-disappointing/
coldjoint

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 01:53 pm
Quote:
Bitter, Delusional Hillary Snaps at Reporter: “It’s my turn…I deserve it”

Wow.http://www.acidpulse.net/images/smilies/i9bce.gif
Quote:

Samuel Rosales-Avila of La Habra California, was writing a feature of Ms. Clinton focused on how a Clinton presidency would influence Hispanic Americans. Mr. Rosales-Avila was in for a shock, however, as the interview he was so excited to have landed began:

I started asking Ms. Clinton questions. Mostly policy stuff, really focused on immigration. She was responding, but seemed a little off. I figured she was just distracted and didn’t feel like it was worth her time. I kept going, but was starting to get frustrated. I decided I would ask her something I hadn’t really planned on. I said, ‘Ms. Clinton, some have suggested that you aren’t healthy enough or are too old to pursue the presidency. Do you have a comment on that?’.

I knew I had crossed a line for her right away.

She snapped back, ‘It’s my turn. I’ve done my time, and I deserve it.’ Then she stormed off.

After she left, one of her handlers came up to me and told me he would need the recording of our interview and that it was now ‘off the record’. I was shocked and disappointed, but it was clear that it wasn’t a negotiation.

Neuroscientist and aging expert Dr. Philip Kao suggests that this angry reaction and sudden divergence from her manicured talking points may be an early sign of dementia:

Ms. Clinton is a disciplined, seasoned politician. It is really surprising to me that she would slip up like that in such a low stakes environment. As a doctor, that causes me some concern that there may be something wrong. This is an individual who has spent most of her life perfecting her public persona and has given thousands of interviews. A slip up like this really indicates to me that some faculties may be declining. These minor events of confusion and anger are often the first signs of dementia.

Read the full article at NationalReport.net.
0 Replies

RexRed

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 04:08 pm
Kansas Boy Forced to Remove Little Free Library From His Yard
https://gma.yahoo.com/kansas-boy-forced-remove-little-free-library-yard-174007353--abc-news-house-and-home.html

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 06:20 pm
@coldjoint,
So under Obamacare, at least 3.4 million Americans who didn't have health insurance previously, now have health insurance. And that's just its first year. It's gonna grow.

HOW MANY UNINSURED AMERICANS HAVE THE GOP GOTTEN COVERAGE FOR? CAN YOU SAY ZERO? LOSER.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 06:34 pm
@MontereyJack,
What you said!!!!
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 08:06 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
HOW MANY UNINSURED AMERICANS HAVE THE GOP GOTTEN COVERAGE FOR?

Doesn't matter. The GOP promised nothing, and had nothing( not one vote) to do with the clusterfuck.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 08:20 pm
Quote:
Poll: 76% Think IRS “Deliberately Destroyed” Lois Lerner’s Emails, Just 12% Say It Was An Accident…

Yes, it is a Fox Poll. The networks are probably afraid to take one.
http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/lerner-1.jpg

Quote:
And that includes a majority of Democrats (63%).

http://weaselzippers.us/191126-poll-76-think-irs-deliberately-destroyed-lois-lerners-emails-just-12-say-it-was-an-accident/
MontereyJack

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 11:08 pm
@coldjoint,
joint says, in reference to healthcare reform"

Quote:
The GOP promised nothing

Too true. The GOP promised NOTHING, and that's exactly what they delivered, NOTHING. While Obamacare ended recissions, ended denial of coverage for pre-existing conditions, ended lifetime caps, mandated that health insurers had to pay at least 80% of the premiums they took in for actual healthcare for their clients (many companies had been living high on the hog and spending less on actual healthcare), while signing up more people than the goals they'd set, reducing significantly the number of people with no health insureance, and providing affordable healthcare for around 12 million people, not just the uninsured but hardworking Americans who'd been hit hard by ever-rising healthcare costs (which incidentally are projected to rise less than usual due to Obamacare).

The only clusterfuck I can see, joint, is the five years the Republicans have spent doing nothing but whining and their absolute refusal to do anything constructive to help Americans.
cicerone imposter

Wed 25 Jun, 2014 04:31 am
@MontereyJack,
The amazing part of all the useless GOP is that they're proud of their "No Production" record as the worst performing congress in history, and they keep working hard to keep that record! They bitch about hard working Americans trying to eek out a living while they produce nothing for the American people while they take home their generous pay and benefits - all paid for by the American people.

What's wrong with this picture? It seems conservatives can't see it!
Moment-in-Time

Wed 25 Jun, 2014 05:50 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:

The only clusterfuck I can see,....., is the five years the Republicans have spent doing nothing but whining and their absolute refusal to do anything constructive to help Americans.

I see you've got your head screwed on right, MontereyJack. Good for you! Your statement above is right on target. It's painful for me to see how hard Obama tries, keeping us out of a recession that was on its way towards a depression caused by Dick Cheney, de facto president in the GWB adm.---- the thanks Barack gets from the miserable GOp is more grumbling; irrespective what the president does the Mitch O'Connell's and McCains will always bellyache...Gads, they are so confoundingly irritating. McCain need to get over his loss to Obama and Mitch O'Connell, along with Lindsey Graham, should do likewise.
cicerone imposter

Wed 25 Jun, 2014 06:01 am
@Moment-in-Time,
They're a bunch of infants fighting for a very long time that should have passed several years ago! Guess who elects them into office? Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Drunk Drunk Drunk
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 25 Jun, 2014 08:22 am
Days After Decrying Flat Wages, McConnell Proposes Lowering Wages by $13 Billion
Joe Sonka on June 20, 2014 - 4:55 PM ET

http://www.thenation.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/main_node_view_image/mitch_mcconnell_smile_ap_img.jpg

Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell (AP/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

On the Senate floor Wednesday, Senator Mitch McConnell made his pitch that Republicans are the ones looking out for the working class, “whose wages have remained stubbornly flat.”

At a press conference in Northern Kentucky this afternoon, McConnell presented his new fundraising plan to replace an obsolete bridge connecting the state to Ohio: lowering the wage of construction workers.

At issue is the Brent Spence Bridge running over the Ohio River from Cincinnati to Northern Kentucky, which is outdated and long in need of being replaced with a new bridge. However, that effort has stalled for many years, as there just aren’t enough federal Highway dollars coming through to make it happen. The current state proposal is to use tolls to fund a new bridge, but many locals are viscerally opposed to that idea. McConnell has long deflected questions on funding the bridge by saying that it is a state issue that he has nothing to do with. Back in the pre–Tea Party days—when McConnell was the King of Pork, running in 2008 on all of the gifts he brought back home—he could have just snuck in a giant earmark or two to get the project going, but ever since his new Republican colleagues stormed the castle in 2011, Mitch’s hands have been tied.

Today’s press conference was announced suddenly, billed as McConnell’s new secret plan to fund the bridge and save Kentuckians from paying tolls—pivoting away from his years of indifference. And that plan is to simply pay for the bridge by repealing the federal prevailing wage law so that workers are paid less, supposedly saving $13 billion over ten years. As McConnell and his campaign later said, Davis-Bacon is just a “depression-era law” and “red tape.” So much for those stubbornly flat wages, construction workers.

Please support our journalism. Get a digital subscription for just $9.50!

But how would $13 billion into the federal coffers over ten years help rebuild the Brent Spence, since the federal Highway Trust Fund is already running on fumes with dozens of other projects also waiting for funding? One of those projects is the Ohio River Bridges Project down the river in Louisville, whose residents are also set to pay bridge tolls—why is there no similar promise to them? Not to mention the fact that the repeal of Davis-Bacon—a longtime fantasy of conservative groups like the Heritage Foundation—is a pipe dream with no realistic chance of happening in Congress.

According to Amanda VanBenschoten of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reporters grilled McConnell with these questions, but he didn’t seem thrilled about going into too much detail.

Alison Lundergan Grimes ripped the McConnell plan as a desperate election-year flip-flop, and countered with a plan—released just before McConnell’s announcement—to free up $75 billion over ten years by cutting tax loopholes for the wealthy, such as corporate deductions for excessive stock options and the corporate jet loophole, and cracking down on companies’ use of overseas tax havens.

Grimes’s plan—which is similar to Obama’s infrastructure plan—would likely go nowhere in the current Congress, or whatever we’ll end up with next year, just as the case with McConnell’s plan to get rid of the prevailing wage. Unless something dramatic changes in the political landscape of Kentucky and DC, these Kentuckians will be paying tolls to cross the bridge, if it’s ever built. However, Grimes can at least present her option for the bridge to voters as being paid for by cutting off loopholes used by billionaires, while McConnell is protecting his wealthy friends so he can make sure that workers have a smaller paycheck.

For a Grimes campaign that is intent on portraying McConnell as an out-of-touch, uncaring career politician who is bought and paid for by wealthy CEOs, today’s press conference was likely music to their ears.

Here's Sen McTurtle a few days earlier:

Three Days After Speaking at a Koch Summit, McConnell Says He’s For the Little Guy
Joe Sonka on June 18, 2014 - 2:40 PM ET

http://www.thenation.com/sites/default/files/charles_koch_ap_img_1.jpg

Charles Koch

Charles Koch (AP Photo/Topeka Capital-Journal, Mike Burley)

As The Nation reported yesterday, Senator Mitch McConnell was a featured speaker on Sunday at the Koch brothers’ secretive conference for billionaire Republican donors at a swanky California resort. McConnell reportedly held a “strategy discussion” with Koch legal operative Mark Holden on his favorite topic: freeing up unlimited and unchecked campaign contributions and spending from America’s wealthiest donors, which is what the First Amendment intended. According to an attendee, part of that strategy is a goal to raise $500 million for Republicans to take control of the Senate in the 2014 midterms, and $500 million more to take the White House in 2016.

This background, as well as McConnell’s voting record, made his statements on the Senate floor this morning all the more remarkable.

In his speech, McConnell said that despite the “political theater” of Senate Democrats, Republicans are actually the ones out there fighting for the little guy—the underpaid middle class, working moms and college students—and fighting against the “well-off” and “well-connected” interests who attempt to rig the political system in their favor.

Yes, political theater is so, so terrible.

McConnell said that Senate Democrats are trying to hide the fact that Republicans are “quietly assembling a lot of good ideas aimed at helping middle-class Americans deal with the stresses of a modern economy” and “working overtime behind the scenes to make their lives easier or paychecks bigger for working moms and recent college graduates.” Those “quiet” and “behind the scenes” ideas “address the concerns and anxieties of working men and women whose wages have remained stubbornly flat during the Obama years, even as the cost of everything from college tuition to healthcare continues to soar.”

McConnell added that these ideas are consistent with the GOP’s longstanding commitment to their principle of ensuring government has “a shared responsibility for the weak”—an amazing claim that he first trotted out last month, days after his Republican primary victory.

McConnell concluded: “While Democrats have been plotting on ways to hold onto their majority, we’ve been listening to the concerns and anxieties of our constituents and figuring out new, creative ways to address them. It’s long past time we had a real debate in this country, instead of false choice Democrats constantly present to the public between their own failed ideas and some political villain that doesn’t exist.”

This nonexistent “villain” that McConnell alludes to may be his own party, or it may be the figures who Democrats have been trying to tie around the neck of Republicans for many months: Charles and David Koch, the gracious resort hosts of McConnell and billionaire donors last weekend who seek to buy Washington, DC, and turn it into their own deregulated wonderland of plutocracy. And with the strict security at the Koch summit, one might even call such plotting “quiet” and “behind the scenes,” in favor of the “well-off” and “well-connected.” But how dare the Democrats plot about winning Senate elections, right?

McConnell’s concern about stagnant wages and his desire to make “paychecks bigger” for working moms and young people doesn’t need a behind-the-scenes approach, but it might require raising the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour, which McConnell strenuously opposes and his campaign manager called “class warfare.” Some of those working moms might even be helped by very public legislation to prevent wage discrimination against women, though McConnell has voted against the Lily Ledbetter Act and the Paycheck Fairness Act.

If McConnell is concerned about rising tuition costs and the bank account of recent college graduates, he also could have chosen not to filibuster and block Senator Elizabeth Warren’s bill to allow graduates to refinance their student loans and avoid decades of crushing debt—if the Koch summit attendees don’t mind that legislation closing their tax loopholes, of course.

Please support our journalism. Get a digital subscription for just $9.50!

McConnell is also concerned about the rising costs of healthcare, though I’m not sure how repealing the Affordable Care Act—and taking away the healthcare coverage of over 400,000 Kentuckians who gained insurance through the state’s exchange, Kynect—will ease that concern.

And this “shared responsibility for the weak” that McConnell says he adheres to? I’m not sure who is the “weak” he refers to, but if that includes people who have had their unemployment insurance cut off, SNAP benefits cut, or undocumented immigrants looking for comprehensive immigration reform, McConnell and his Republican colleagues probably shouldn’t have worked so hard to stick it to these individuals.

Yes, political theater is so, so terrible.

While liberals and environmentalists may be nauseated by Alison Lundergan Grimes’s positions and rhetoric on coal and the EPA, she presents an extremely clear contrast on the issues McConnell played loose with this morning. Grimes has touted her support for an increase in the minimum wage since the day she announced her candidacy last July; she supports equal pay legislation; she supports a Constitutional amendment to roll back the Citizens United decision;, and she supports Warren’s student loan bill.

Warren is even coming to Kentucky soon to campaign for Grimes, highlighting McConnell’s vote against student loan reform and his obedience to the whims of billionaires hanging out in private California resorts who plot how to make the wealthy and powerful even more so.

The Warren-Grimes event may even be out in the public, where the little guys can hear it.
cicerone imposter

Wed 25 Jun, 2014 08:42 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Mass just increased their minimum wage to $11/hour. I hope more states except the southern states take up this challenge. The southern conservatives will be so poor, they won't be able to drive to their place of voting. A little humble pie will do them good! They'll feel the pain.
RexRed

Wed 25 Jun, 2014 09:08 am
@cicerone imposter,
You're back!!! I missed you! Smile
0 Replies

parados

Wed 25 Jun, 2014 09:12 am
@Baldimo,
There are some problems with your conspiracy theory.
Lerner's hard drive crashed in 2011.
Congress didn't ask questions until 2012.

Quote:
In his prepared testimony for the hearing, Koskinen blamed the “aged equipment” that the IRS uses because of budget constraints and said that so far this year, 2,000 IRS employees out of about 90,000 have suffered hard-drive crashes.
The IRS wasn't using modern HDD. They were using outdated equipment that was probably 10-15 years old. Old hard drives tend to crash more often than new hard drives. Something you seem ready to admit.

Quote:
Sorry to say, but it does sound like a conspiracy when the failures just happen to cover the time frame for the requested emails.
If her hard drive crashed after the request for emails then you might have a case. Lerner herself reported the crash and tried to get the emails restored in 2011. The conspiracy seems to be that Lois Lerner and the IRS is hiding a time machine. If this had happened in the Bush years I would think the same thing about a computer crash 12 months before any investigation is even considered.