Butrflynet

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 07:16 pm
@matttheroman,
This is a serious answer:

No.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 07:20 pm
@matttheroman,
America started out as a Monarchy (or three).
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 11:37 pm
Tried it. Didn't like it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 12:51 am
King Roger. . . . Ya know, that doesn't sound all that bad.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 03:32 am
@matttheroman,
Absolutely NO
0 Replies

matttheroman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 03:38 am
@matttheroman,
ok fair enough but...Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide.
John Adams

Read more: Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
if a founding father said it, maybe we should believe it (just sayin)
laughoutlood

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 03:42 am
@matttheroman,
On the road to democracy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 03:47 am
@matttheroman,
The "founding fathers" were just men, such as are the citizens of the United States today. They were not heroic giants with the wisdom of gods. In fact, nothing vaguely democratic such as existed in 1787 had ever existed before. It's nonsense to say that democracy either was bloodier than aristocracy or monarchy, or that it never lasts long. Nothing approaching democracy as it is practiced in our contemporary world has ever existed before, so there is no rational point of comparison.
matttheroman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:03 am
@Setanta,
i know, it just seems most americans follow their every word like their gods, trust me i am aware their just me, though i must admit NO imperialistic democracy can last long, especially one with political parties
Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:04 am
@matttheroman,
How do you know that's true?
0 Replies

matttheroman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:05 am
@Setanta,
oh and another thing setanta, it had, try the roman republic, about half of ancient greece, etc. etc. etc. AMERICA WAS NOT THE WORLDS FIRST DEMOCRACY!!!!!!!! thats how
Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:34 am
@matttheroman,
If you were really well informed about the Roman republic, you'd know that it was an oligarchic republic, with one of the most fiddled "democracies" in history. They voted by tribes. Originally, there were three tribes. So, 51% of two tribes could vote for a measure, and 100% of the third tribe could vote against it, and it would pass--despite the fact that only marginally more than one third of the people had voted for the measure. All legislation was proposed by the Senate, an exclusive club the members of which were appointed by the Censor.

In Athens, less than 10% of the male population had the vote--no women had the vote. Slaves and "foreigners' (anyone not born in Attica) could not vote, and no citizen of Attica who was not also a freeholder in the city of Athens could vote. At the time of the ratification of the American constitution, there was universal, white manhood sufferage, and almost no property qualifications (those were abolished in the wake of Shays' Rebellion). Nothing like that broad a franchise had ever been known before in history.

It's kind of silly to claim that either Rome or Athens were genuine democracies.
Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:35 am
@matttheroman,
By the way, that's not an answer to my question of how you know that an imperial democracy could not survive.
BillRM

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:00 am
@matttheroman,
We are now are now an oligarchy of the wealthy top two percents and now with the inherited tax going away we will be an oligarchy by birth rights, so we are moving in the correct direction.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 07:03 am
@matttheroman,
Quote:
oh and another thing setanta, it had, try the roman republic, about half of ancient greece, etc. etc. etc. AMERICA WAS NOT THE WORLDS FIRST DEMOCRACY!!!!!!!! thats how

The US founding fathers where well aware of the Roman Republic model when they set up the US government.
0 Replies

withoutpeers

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 08:31 am
America is disguised as a republic (America is not a democracy) but is actually already a monarchy. It is ruled by God so that the citizen can be king.
matttheroman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 10:08 am
@Setanta,
oh for the record, if u think about it, we are also an oligarchic republic, and we are more fiddled with them, we actually have a republic to look back too. Both my parents specialized in Roman History. And yes, Athens wasnt exactly ideal, but NO state then was nearly as free, and to hold to modern standards on women and slaves is totally inappropriate
0 Replies

matttheroman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 10:09 am
@Setanta,
wasnt tryin too, if u cant see it yourself u need more than me to tell u so
0 Replies

matttheroman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 10:10 am
@withoutpeers,
yeah it technically is a republic or should i say disguised as one, disguised further as a democracy
0 Replies