Should America become a monarchy?

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 01:16 pm
I haven't applied modern standards to Athens, or to Rome. In neither Athens nor in Rome did the people (regardless of the extent of the franchise) elect a representative legislature. In both cities, the citizens voted on policies offered to them by an oligarchy, and had no other powers within the polity. Neither of those facts are anachronistic expectations.

I see no reason to assume that the United States can be described as an oligarchic republic. Furthermore, no other nation in history has had democratic institutions which have so permeated the lives of its citizens. We vote at the national, the state, the county, the municipal and the township levels. We elect most of the executive officers (when you consider state, county and municipal governments), and we elect one of the two most prominent law enforcement officers in the places where we live (the sheriff). We vote on tax levies, bond referrenda and ballot initiatives for policy and legislation. It's ludicrous to ignore the extent to which the electorate can (whether or not they choose to) make the most basic political decisions which affect their day to day lives. No one in Athens or Rome ever had even a minute fraction of that kind of control over their own lives.

As for what your parents are, allegedly, expert in, i know of no reason to assume that a knowledge of history is hereditary, and certainly not the ability to understand history and synthesize a realistic description. That's an incredibly feeble basis upon which to claim that you are yourself in possession of expert knowledge.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 01:58 pm
If you really want Americans to lose all interest in the idea of Royalty then become a monarchy. The only thing that most British people were concerned about during the Royal Wedding was having the day off. I thought South Park did it better, their's was only half an hour long.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 02:33 pm
Bookmark
0 Replies

matttheroman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 05:43 pm
@Setanta,
u did by using the classic no women or slaves could vote, well when the usa started out, it was the same thing,
ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 08:11 pm
@matttheroman,
A matriarchy would be a more sensible alternative.
0 Replies

JTT
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 09:52 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
If you were really well informed about the Roman republic, you'd know that it was an oligarchic republic, with one of the most fiddled "democracies" in history. They voted by tribes. Originally, there were three tribes. So, 51% of two tribes could vote for a measure, and 100% of the third tribe could vote against it, and it would pass--despite the fact that only marginally more than one third of the people had voted for the measure. All legislation was proposed by the Senate, an exclusive club the members of which were appointed by the Censor.

That sounds an awful lot like the US system.
matttheroman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 09:57 pm
@JTT,
Bingo
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 02:50 am
@matttheroman,
The point of that was to demonstrate that the people did not govern themselves--and democracy is the rule of the people. That doesn't seem to sink in with your. I suspect that you are ignorant both of how the Roman repulic worked and how the United States works. I see little point in continuing this discussion, because it appears to me that you're arguing from a position of ignorance, but unwilling to admit it, while insistent on continuing to argue.

Have fun with your attempts to impose a monarchy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 04:01 am
@withoutpeers,
Can you expand on that a bit?
laughoutlood

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 11:06 pm
@roger,
You are simultaneously without peer and withoutpeers so I shall be its butterfly.
0 Replies

mkkms

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 07:28 pm
@matttheroman,
America is NOT a Democracy, but a Constitutional Republic.... where individual rights are protected by our Bill Of Rights and cannot be infringed by a majority vote. This is the reason that our country has enjoyed freedoms that few other countries do.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 07:29 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

This is a serious answer:

No.

Agreed!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 07:30 pm
@mkkms,
mkkms wrote:

America is NOT a Democracy, but a Constitutional Republic.... where individual rights are protected by our Bill Of Rights and cannot be infringed by a majority vote. This is the reason that our country has enjoyed freedoms that few other countries do.

Yes!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 11:14 pm
@mkkms,
Quote:

That last sentence is an oft repeated piece of crap.

And isn't it ironic that this bastion of freedom has persecuted and stolen the freedom of so many millions of people the world over, installing brutal dictators just so the freedom loving country of the US could steal their wealth.
0 Replies

Cuterthanpaul

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 11:09 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta, while the Roman Republic and Athens were not true "democracies", neither was the US until 1919
Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 09:46 am
@Cuterthanpaul,
So, essentially, your argument is that no nation can be a democracy unless it has enfranchised women. First, allow me to point out that the United States constitution does not guarantee democracy, just a republican form of government. By your criterion, however, when Australia enfranchised women in 1902, it was a democracy, even though Aboriginal people were not enfranchised. That's an odd definition of democracy.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 11:58 am
America already is a monarchy.

Ones King
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_dfi6sqoouF3NwMV2IVfmCZ6ax-ekTp7vpGjSVKeV5jeGYSG5LQ

Ones Queen
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCqABE4yjqZnnwwB7slMZlYvtYmEaQAF9SL_jkY2-oRUMEzYz1

0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 04:48 pm
@matttheroman,
Even though I remain intrigued by the British Monarchy as well as inquisitive regarding the immediate Royals, as an American, I say NO, America should not become a monarchy. After all, we ran away from the King George III and started governing ourselves in the new world. The Monarchy is an antiquated Institution at least in the perception of many in the United States; Americans have outgrown that stage. Don't misunderstand me, I have tremendous respect for Queen Elizabeth 2, but she is about the only one who has retained my true admiration, and the rest are just objects of curiosity. There is nothing special about Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, and Prince Edward. All the Queen's offspring are left wanting, in my personal opinion.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 06:16 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
There is nothing special about Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, and Prince Edward. All the Queen's offspring are left wanting, in my personal opinion.

Let me amend my post. Not all the Queen's children are ne'er-do-well. Princess Anne, the Princess Royal, I have read, is one of the hardest working royals after the Queen and Prince Philip. I've been disappointed in Prince Edward who tried to exploit his nephew,Prince William for one of his business projects. Prince Andrew comes across as a lascivious lout, and Prince Charles, is a weakling who after using Diana to give him an heir and a spare, threw her to the wolves.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 06:21 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Unfortunately we do have royalty in the U S. Rather than call them king or queen or duke or other such terms we call them rich and politician.