Does it bother you if your partner belongs to other religion?

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 12:03 am
If someone you love belongs to some other religion and wants you to follow his faith besides your own..How do you feel?

View best answer, chosen by melisawilson
Old Goat
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 01:25 am
Can of worms time, I fear.

One question runs through the whole thing though.

Do you want to be with him enough to do it?

If you answer yes with honesty, and feel happy about every other aspect of your relationship, then you know the answer.

0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 01:52 am
@melisawilson,
It would be impossible for anyone to convince me to be anything other than an atheist however much I loved them. I don't think I'd ever be in a serious relationship with someone who believed in a god or gods anyway. I don't care what my friends believe but I don't think I could have a life partner with such a completely different world view to me. I certainly would never bring children up as anything but atheists and if my partner wasn't ok with that it would be a deal breaker. Happily it's hypothetical, as my husband is an atheist as well.
msolga

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 02:04 am
@melisawilson,
Quote:
If someone you love belongs to some other religion and wants you to follow his faith besides your own..How do you feel?

Well how would you feel, melisawilson?

And how would you advise any of your clients with the same dilemma? According to your profile here you are a social worker.

In the advice you offered this poster, on another thread here, you referred to "our lord":
Quote:
No it is never possible for anyone to fell in love with two people at the same time. If you feel it happens, you are fooling yourself. The one whom you call the love of your life is actually not the real love of your life. Love happens only once and rest are the compromises. You still love your husband but the amazing is that after many years of your relationship you have started finding it monotonous. Please work on to save your current relationship. Do not run behind someone who could be a reason behind the most hated sin in the eye of our lord.

http://able2know.org/topic/171590-1#post-4609692

So who is your "lord" & how would s/he advise on the problem you are posting now?
Would it be a "hated sin" to follow another religion?
MonaLeeza

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 04:15 am
@msolga,
Ha! Well that explains why mine wasn't the 'selected answer' then...
Setanta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 04:19 am
@melisawilson,
melisawilson wrote:

I would feel as though i had made a serious error in judgment associating with such an individual.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 04:21 am
@MonaLeeza,
MonaLeeza wrote:
Ha! Well that explains why mine wasn't the 'selected answer' then...

You are going straight to Hell, you vile infidel ! ! !
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 05:21 am
@melisawilson,
melisawilson wrote:

It bothers me if my partner cares more about their religion than our relationship.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 01:41 pm
I would not care about another person's religion, when relating to the other person. The question, in my opinion, moves up a notch when children arrive. Then the question is in what religion should the child be inculcated. And, it might just be an individual thing as to whether having a child, or children, raised in another faith means anything. I being a secular Jew would not be happy with children that were raised in the Orthodox Jewish faith. Too much ritual, too many prohibitions. So, even within one's own supposed faith, the question has merit, in my opinion.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 01:43 pm
it would bother me if my partner belonged to a religion, fullstop
djjd62

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 01:44 pm
@djjd62,
though i could probably live with wiccan
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 01:45 pm
FOOFIE WROTE.
Quote:
"inculcated"
What a nice way of saying "brainwashed".

djjd62

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 01:47 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
better if there was a way to inoculate children against religion Razz
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 02:15 pm
@melisawilson,
An interesting question. My experience with my wife is this. When we got married 17 years ago, she wasn't very religious at all. Neither was I. Since then I have became a Buddhist. She wasn't interested and that was ok. She had a life changing experience two years ago and 'found Jesus'. I didn't share that experience. Since then she goes to church every week, sometimes twice, and does volunteer work on the weekend, which I sometimes help with. It has been a very good thing for her. She accepts that I don't share her beliefs. I am still a Buddhist and do practice it. At first I had some difficulty with her sudden conversion, but I have come to realize that it is not that unusual for people to find Christ in a moment of life change. I also have come to understand that it's not my place to question her belief nor her mine. I respect her decision and that means that I don't question her or belittle her. We have gotten to the point that we get along very well. Probably better than ever. We both practice our religions and accept the other's position.

As a Buddhist and after discussion with other Buddhist's, including the Buddhist nun that leads our local group, her thoughts and beliefs do not affect me or my way of thinking. I should respect all others and their beliefs and not question them. That's doesn't mean I have to agree. What counts for me is the way I see the world and how I relate to it, avoiding my own generated confusion and judgment.

She is very happy in her new found beliefs and I am happy for her.

Now if she continually tried to convert me or didn't show any respect for my views, that would obviously be more difficult.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 04:19 pm
@MonaLeeza,
Mona,
I'm pretty much like you. I courted a jazz singer for years.
She was religious and I tried to feel her fervor.
Uh Uh
I read the Bible,went to her services...

Uh Uh
Finally we just became very dear friends.

In melisa's case though, I don't know what I would do.

0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 07:05 am
@melisawilson,
Quote:

You know, I didn't read very well. If my wife tried to convert me in an aggressive manner, I believe I would very sadly walk away.
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 07:59 am
@melisawilson,
melisawilson wrote:

It wouldn't bother me at all if they belonged to another religion. What would bother me, would be a matter of how persistant they were in trying to convert me. Strictly with religion, I think I would consider myself an apathetic agnostic (meaning I just really don't care about it one way or another). If a significant other just occasionally asked me if I would like to accompany them to a sunday worship, it wouldn't both me all that much. If they go on ranting every day about how I'll burn in hell for all eternity and being a complete zealot about it...then I would probably run the other way as fast as I could. So really it just depends on the intensity of their attempts to convert me...if any.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 08:01 am
It's pretty complicate for sure, Lady Diane is agnostic while I remain atheist.
Ionus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 10:07 pm
@dyslexia,
I'm egotistical and my partner is digital .
0 Replies