Is it possible to be in love with two people at the same time?

meinu

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 12:25 pm
I know people will judge once they read my question. I never thought I would find myself living a life like this nor was I brought up this way. I am 27 been married for 5 years but together for 10 years with my husband. We've had our ups and downs the past two years and was separated for some time, but now we are back together. During the past two years of our marriage I met and fell in love with the love of my life, we've contemplated starting a life together but we know if we we're to committ in a marriage our love wouldn't be the same and the stress of finances, life, marriage would take a toll on us. Not to mention we are not the same religious background, he is muslim and I am christian. There are certain aspects he wants in a wife that I cannot give up b/c I am an individual and I know I would get frustrated if I gave up these things later in life even though they not the biggest sacrifices, but to me they make up who I am. Some of these things are how many children I want, what type of clothes I can and cannot wear, etc. The sad part is he has been pressured to get married and start a family so he is going to have an arranged marriage within two weeks and will start a life with this other person. I feel awful about this whole thing and we both agreed nothing would change between us, we would live our separate life with our spouses and kids but always be there for each other and see each other a few times a month. We don't know how to just be "freinds" and stay in each others life and we don't know how to lose each other completely either, so this was the best set-up we could think of and I know its horrible and society frowns about it, but I feel this way we both get the best of both worlds, we still get to live normal lives like we want and still get "mini vacations" when we do share the time we have together. I was just curious if anyone has ever heard or been in situations like this. I know some of you will judge but I'm ready for the criticism & I hope you can put yourself in my shoe. I love my husband but I have not been in love with him for quite a few years now, but what we have a nice normal married life together and that's why I stick around.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,351 • Replies: 6
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 12:47 pm
There are too many strikes against this "love of your life" guy.

Do you even realize that your life would be HELL if you married him? Since he has not been willing to stand up for himself, declare his independence from this oppressive/anti female religion, then I assume he agrees with it.
So - WHY don't you see that this is NOT really what you want.

Now . . . about your marriage. WHY do you stay with a person that you cheat on? You are being disrespectful to him and your marriage. Either let him go so he can find another woman or work on this marriage.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:21 am
@meinu,
This person is NOT the love of your life - he is the plaything of your life. He is the boy you have fun with but can never commit to.

You may experience 'chemistry' with him that you have felt with no other, but your compatibility is terrible.

Let's also set it straight that you and he are both hypocritical 'theologists' - neither of you are following the teaching of your respective faiths in this. I don't say this to put you down, but rather to show you what you are dealing with, when you call him the love of your life. I've known many couples to excuse the others behaviour because 'he's madly in love with me', but the reality is, he is a cheater (and so are you) - his morals allowed him to enter an affair with...they are part of the fabric of his makeup. What makes you think this would change after the two of you were together?

Secondly - he would never, EVER trust you. Despite what he says - do you realise the deep religious views muslims hold? It is much worse than westerners, who themselves rarely ever trust people the are in a relationship with, that started as an affair.

Thirdly, by telling him that you would happily have sex with him after he got married, you have told him that the marriage vows of monogamy mean nothing to you. So he will trust you even less.

Next, have you ever thought about what would happen if you had children and then had a falling out, if you lived over there? He could easily accuse you of having an affair he knew nothing about. In some Islamic countries, you can get thrown in jail for that, and you would lose your rights, purely on his word (the first example of how these draconian laws work, as an example - in the UAE in order for a woman to make a rape complaint, she needs to have 4 muslim males as witness - as if that would ever happen. Otherwise, if she is married, she will get thrown in jail for having an affair. This happened to an Australian woman about 1 year ago, who was jailed for 6 months for being raped without male muslim witnesses)

Lastly - what you are doing to your husband is incredibly unfair and disrespectful to him. You are being very self centred about this. He has a right to choose whether he wants to stay with you while you are having sex with other men. He also has a right to choose whether or not to risk sexually transmitted diseases - something you have denied him the decision of.

Don't get me wrong - you have every right to have sex with 'the love of your life' - but as a single woman, and he as a single man.

It's probably time for you to grow up, assess what it means for a person to be 'the love of your life', what marriage should mean, and what respect entails.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 10:00 am
Yes, but you will always love someone best.
0 Replies

melisawilson

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 03:31 am
@meinu,
No it is never possible for anyone to fell in love with two people at the same time. If you feel it happens, you are fooling yourself. The one whom you call the love of your life is actually not the real love of your life. Love happens only once and rest are the compromises. You still love your husband but the amazing is that after many years of your relationship you have started finding it monotonous. Please work on to save your current relationship. Do not run behind someone who could be a reason behind the most hated sin in the eye of our lord.
msolga

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 03:41 am
@melisawilson,
Hello, melisawilson.
I see that you're a social worker.
Whereabouts are you working at the moment?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 11:45 am
Hopefully no where that actual people need real help.
0 Replies