Is the Head of the IMF a Sex Criminal?

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 04:12 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
She characterized Strauss-Kahn as "a man with a problem that may make him ill-equipped to lead an institution where women work under his command."

But she only said that after she had allowed herself to be "sucked in" to his evil clutches. What a load of bollocks. She was obviously agreeable and presumably, in standard Stanwyckian fashion, hoping to advance her career in ways not open to males in the IMF. She pulled the age old pussy stunt and then bad mouthed her "john" later.
BillRM

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 04:12 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Maybe I think it would simply be a good idea if the truth of this whole episode was revealed, minus the b/s?

However once more is society interests in this matter more important then the best interest of the "victim" as those two concerns may not be one and the same?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 04:15 am
@spendius,

Quote:
But she only said that after she had allowed herself to be "sucked in" to his evil clutches. What a load of bollocks. She was obviously agreeable and presumably, in standard Stanwyckian fashion, hoping to advance her career in ways not open to males in the IMF.

Spendius women are not responsible for their actions in life as long as there is a male within a mile to blame.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 04:19 am
@spendius,
I hate to tell you this, spendius, but you are appear to be still living in the 1970s, or something ......
An allegation of sexual abuse is simply that.
An allegation of sexual abuse.
And the abuse can apply to men, women or children.
It has nothing what-so-ever to do with whatever you might believe "militant feminism" is about .
Dream on about the details of "torn pantyhose & semen stains". Apart from evidence that police might be required to gather, it has bugger all to do with indignation, or anything much else for the rest of us.
You can do better than this, surely?
spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 04:21 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Maybe I think it would simply be a good idea if the truth of this whole episode was revealed, minus the b/s?

The maid's own lawyer said that it is her word against DSK's. And he is denying all charges. The only way truth has a chance is that if one of them accepts the other's version. And even then there will be questions.

Your statement Olga is meaningless except in regard of what you think and you thought the Chinese crew of the tanker that crashed into the reef should be locked up and you thought the reef would be ruined. Has either of those things happened?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 04:27 am
@msolga,
Quote:
You can do better than this, surely?

I can indeed but I prefer to remain gentle with you.

Read the Midge Decter book I mentioned.
msolga

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 04:51 am
@spendius,
Well I checked her out via Wikipedia, spendius.
Is this the Midge Decter you referred to?

Quote:
Midge Rosenthal Decter (born July 25, 1927, St. Paul, Minnesota) is an American neoconservative journalist and author of various books. With Donald Rumsfeld, Decter is the former co-chair of the Committee for the Free World and one of the original drivers of the neoconservative movement with her spouse, Norman Podhoretz. She is also a founder of the Independent Women's Forum ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midge_Decter

I know you mean well, but I strongly suspect there'd be little I could relate to there.

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 06:06 am
@msolga,
And I think you would be mistaken in that belief.
msolga

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 06:08 am
@spendius,
Smile
No, I don't think so.
spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 07:14 am
@msolga,
It is very well known in those circles where familiarity with expert writing is taken for granted that one might enhance one's status in the eyes of one's fellows by bestowing upon some lowly female an elaborate and patronising display of politeness and consideration which is actually nothing but contempt in an elegant disguise.

I think of this cleaning woman as another intelligence in the world, equal at least to my own, albeit in a different way, and I thus treat her as such. The real misogynists are those who are treating her as if she is some delicate endangered species they have captured and incarcerated in a gilded cage of their own design and to fulfill their own needs. Any female approvingly identifying themselves with such base and devious tricks is implicitly accepting their own status as an inferior being.

It is not unlike our Queen handing out the Maundy Money when the cost of the ceremonial if divided among the recipients would easily give them at least a thousand times the amount they receive in the ritual. Maybe fifty thousand times the amount. Maybe even more than that.

As an Aussie Olga you will no doubt remember the famous occasion when your Prime Minister assaulted The Queen by laying his wanking hand upon her sacred back ostensibly to assist her to walk in the correct direction but actually to make the point that he was an ignorant republican rascal. She had never previously been known to need such guidance.

Should he have been arrested because there were many here who thought so as he did the dirty deed with malice aforethought and it was entirely premeditated? That She brushed the affront to Her Regal Dignity off without a glimmer of recognition is a compliment to Her sophistication and superiority. But he did lay hands on The Queen and he knew that he should not have been doing. It was a gratuitous act of an Aussie male supremicist. I assume she had the coat incinerated privately.

The very worst that can be said about DSK was that the maid cast an enchanting spell on him of such power that his wits were temporarily destabilised and it is beyond her vanity's power to not want all the world to know that she is capable of rendering momentarily insane a man of such stature as he had.

The blithe assumption that she was not capable of such a feat is a profound expression of contempt for her, and for women in general, considering that such a power has been demonstrated by many women in the past and to such an extent that long wars have been fought over it, civilisations brought to their knees for it and shoes and frocks and diamonds have been piled high on behalf of it.

One can only assume that her female supporters have never been able to exercise this natural gift that some women possess and, indeed many women, and are thus likely to assume it does not exist.

msolga

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 07:19 am
@spendius,
He (Paul Keating, then Oz pm) placed his hand on her back, spendius.
And no one but the Brits were outraged. Or the British press, certainly, I haven't a clue about the rest.
We Australian's thought the whole drama was utterly ridiculous.
You're surely not suggesting this was in the realm of an "assault", are you? Smile

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 07:25 am
@msolga,
I am indeed.
BillRM

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 07:27 am
@spendius,
So Spendius when the US first lady did the same to your poor queen it was also an assault?

msolga

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 07:28 am
@spendius,
Ok, then.
You live in a much quainter world than I do, obviously.
panzade

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:20 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Exposing the gender divide

Another great op-piece hawk. I thank you.

But your observation after the piece was to-the-moon bombastic hyper-exaggeration:

"Or not.....the number one champions of the victim culture, the American feminists, may well have over played their hand when they went all in for destroying the justice system in the attempt to further their agenda."

Let's face it, we live in a victim culture; you're right about that. Herds of attorneys chase victims burned by too hot coffee. Hordes of therapists make fortunes by helping patients embrace their victim-hood.
I don't believe feminists are the number one champions of the victim culture, in fact I don't think they're even in the top 10. And I don't believe they're trying to destroy the justice system. There are a bevy of groups furthering their own agendas vis a vis the justice system.

The fact that women and feminists have managed to change the justice system in regards to sexual assault
only means that our cultural stance has changed just like numerous other positions such as segregation, equality in the work place, drug abuse penalties etc.

It is interesting that so far in this thread men have predominantly seen DSK as a victim while women have seen the housekeeper as the victim. And yet both views can't be true at the same time...or can they?

In the past decades the blame has shifted from the victim(battered woman, rape victim, minorities and disadvantaged)to the view that men are solely responsible for the prevailing violence(soldiers,politicians, husbands in domestic violence cases)

These two opposing views have not helped solve the problems; no, it has helped to perpetuate and exacerbate them.

We owe it to ourselves and our society to understand the origins of victimization and work actively to rid it from our culture.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:30 am
@BillRM,
Well Bill. That depends. On what I prefer not to say in detail. On balance though I would incline towards it being a gratuitous political statement while not necessarily being certain.

I didn't see it but I have asked about it and I'm told it was a gesture of friendship from a "touchy-feely" sort of person who was possibly ignorant of the protocol. As impulsive and thus not really assault.

It could be seen though as an imposition representing a display of a rejection of class institutions and taking advantage of a situation in which it simply had to be put up with to avoid making a scene. As calculated and thus, technically, an assault.

It's difficult to distinguish between the two.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1888962,00.html

spendius

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:35 am
@msolga,
Quote:
You live in a much quainter world than I do, obviously.

For which I never cease to be grateful.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:40 am
@spendius,
I think our first lady, Michelle Obama, hugged the queen upon first meeting her.

Did your head explode?
panzade

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:45 am
@spendius,
spendius:
"The very worst that can be said about DSK was that the maid cast an enchanting spell on him of such power that his wits were temporarily destabilised and it is beyond her vanity's power to not want all the world to know that she is capable of rendering momentarily insane a man of such stature as he had."

That is so incredibly quaint! You must be quite the hoot in your social circles.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:47 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Read the Midge Decter book I mentioned.

thank goodness the world I live in is generations past Midge Decter