Is the Head of the IMF a Sex Criminal?

firefly

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 01:26 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
She hired a lawyer my rear end as the only way for her to do so is to have a Contingency agreement with him to act as her agent is selling her story ETC and or in suing DKS in civil court.

Schmuck--the lawyer has said he is working pro bono--I heard him say it. That means he is donating his services and time. But he is getting a lot of free publicity for himself that makes it worthwhile for him.

If he is a good lawyer, he has already advised her she cannot sell her story, or contract to sell it in the future, until after trial, otherwise she compromises her credibility as a witness.

Maybe she will file a civil suit. That doesn't mean she will even use this attorney for that purpose. This one says he is working pro bono right now--that means she has no monetary agreement with him, contingency or otherwise.
BillRM

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 01:39 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
If he is a good lawyer, he has already advised her she cannot sell her story until after trial, otherwise she compromises her credibility as a witness.

That is assuming that she care about the case more then getting enough money to never never need to work again in her life.

But I agree that she one way or another she will care for now enough not to sell her story as that would harm her settlement position with DSK lawyers.

Pro Bono well I did not hear the wordings of his claimed to be working free on this case as lawyers are masters of by careful wording lying without lying so do you happen to have a link to his claimed or not?

Once more do we have a bet or not as I already gotten a frame for the five dollar bill.

firefly

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 01:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
They are not going at advertise it, but the alleged victim has certainly by now tapped into several tax supported revenue streams, some of which will dry up if she where to decide to stop cooperating with the police. For the forseeable future she will get victims assistance money and be housed by the state

They don't advertise it? Try this link..
http://www.ovs.ny.gov/helpforcrimevictims/helpforcrimevictims.aspx

She'll be housed by the state? Can you verify that all crime victims in NYS receive free housing--I can't seem to find that sort of compensation. Rolling Eyes

Do you know how many crime victims they have in NYS in a year? How many sexual assault victims they have in NYC alone in a year? To listen to you, all of these crime victims are able to hop on a state supported gravy train. They aren't just handing out vast sums of money to every victim--they don't have it to give.

What makes you you think she's, "tapped into several tax supported revenue streams"? Because that's what you would do?
Below viewing threshold (view)
firefly

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:08 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

Pro Bono well I did not hear the wordings of his claimed to be working free on this case as lawyers are masters of by careful wording lying without lying so do you happen to have a link to his claimed or not?

Pro bono means he is working without compensation. I heard him say he was working pro bono last night on either CNN or MSNBC. Pro bono means he is donating his services and time with no agreement of financial compensation.
Quote:
Jeffrey Shapiro: "I am not getting paid"

Jeffrey Shapiro, lawyer for the alleged victim in the Dominique Strauss-Kahn case, talks to "American Morning" about his client.

Shapiro says that he is doing the case pro bono and is personally advising his client, whom he's met with "quite a number of times."

Shapiro says, "My role here is to counsel her and to be with her to explain what's going on...on a personal level, and try to help her at some point get her life back on track... There's been no discussion about any civil litigation. "
http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/19/jeffrey-shapiro-i-am-not-getting-paid/

Quote:
This is nothing other than a physical, sexual assault by this man on this young woman," says Shapiro, who is advising the young lady pro bono and was introduced to her by a mutual friend.
http://newsfeedresearcher.com/data/articles_m21/strauss-kahn-aids-maid.html

You are not considering the amount of free publicity, for himself, this lawyer is getting for his pro bono work for this woman. He's getting a lot of free publicity for his legal services, and his name is becoming known to the general public. What average lawyer wouldn't want that?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:13 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Pro bono means he is working without compensation
Bill, Firefly is correct for a change....it could be someone who hopes to get paid later, but there are a lot of people who will do a honest pro bono for alleged victims of sexual assault, as they are the some of the most compelling victims in current society. Even if the lawyer never collects money they will collect the warm fuzzies and better their reputation.
engineer

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:16 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

She hired a lawyer my rear end as the only way for her to do so is to have a Contingency agreement with him to act as her agent is selling her story ETC and or in suing DKS in civil court.

Apparently he went to her and is working for free. That said, he is a personal injury lawyer and might be thinking he could see some benefit eventually.
firefly

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
It was just last year that the feds demanded that states give unemployment money to anyone who claims that they cant work because they are suffering abuse trauma, or because they need to take care of someone who has

To be eligible for unemployment compensation, don't you have to be willing and able to work? Don't they continuosly ask you if you have been seeking work?

People who cannot work, because of trauma, or any other emotional problem, can apply for state disability (or worker's comp if it is job-related), but most who apply for such disability payments are denied.

Actually, the hotel maid could apply for Worker's Comp (this happened while she was working)--although it is not likely she would do that because it would involve talking about things related to the criminal case against Strauss-Kahn.

You don't agree with compensating crime victims? So, someone who was shot in the commision of a robbery at his place of employment, and who has no medical insurance, can't work, and can't pay his rent, should receive no help at all? How about a rape victim with no med insurance who is badly beaten, can't work, and can't pay her mortgage?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:21 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
That said, he is a personal injury lawyer and might be thinking he could see some benefit eventually
HA!....almost certainly he is in the "hopes to get paid later" camp, as most of the savior community legal eagles are morally allergic to the ambulance chasing profession.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:26 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Actually, the hotel maid could apply for Worker's Comp (
Thanks for pointing that out, yes, she will get unemployment immediately with workmans comp to follow. I think that the law the feds made the states adopt waives the normal waiting periods for unemployment as well as mandate that the application must be provisionally approved as well. I was not paying very close attention, but I saw enough to know that I object to the law.
BillRM

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
This lawyer pro bono claim is like having a vampire claiming to be doing voluntary work at a blood bank out of the goodness of his heart.

There gallons of blood oh sorry millions of dollars up for grab in this case.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out, yes, she will get unemployment immediately and with workmans comp to follow.

No, what I said was that to receive unemployment you must be willing and able to work. If she claims she can't work due to trauma, she's not eligible for unemployment.

For Worker's Comp you have to apply for it and testify at a hearing about the nature of injuries, including emotional trauma, and how those injuries were sustained--she really can't do that because of the criminal case against Strauss-Kahn.

You are overlooking the fact the woman was employed, and is still employed. The hotel may continue to pay her salary for awhile, even if she doesn't work, simply to help her, given the situation. This is a woman of limited means, who was a good employee, and the hotel might respond with some compassion. They really wouldn't want her to return to work--the hoards of media trying to get at her would disrupt the hotel--it would make sense for them to pay her to stay home.
BillRM

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:39 pm
@firefly,

An less not forget a possible law suit against the hotel for having dangerous working conditions by her "Pro Bono" lawyer.
JTT

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I was not paying very close attention, but I saw enough to know that I object to the law.

That's a big first step on the road to recovery, Hawk.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:42 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
No, what I said was that to receive unemployment you must be willing and able to work
the normal rules of law do not apply to sex law, and the normal rules of unemployment do not apply to those who claim to be victims of domestic abuse or sexual abuse, or the mothers of same.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:49 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

An less not forget a possible law suit against the hotel for having dangerous working conditions by her "Pro Bono" lawyer.
That will be interesting,as this hotel was probably not unlike any other hotel in this regard. I have already seen a pressure group claiming that abuse of maids by guests is routine, and that the industry needs to change their practices. I am not sure what they are wanting, but I assume that it is the buddy system, where the maids must work in teams.
Quote:
“It’s absolutely no surprise that this happened,” says Priscilla Gonzalez, director of the advocacy group, Domestic Workers United. “Being a historically disenfranchised and devalued, invisible kind of work, people who work in this industry do face a lot of forms of abuse and exploitation, and sexual abuse and harassment are certainly one of those forms… The reality is that the women who do this work are not seen; they’re not recognized. For every woman that comes forward with a complaint, there are hundreds of others who don’t.”
It’s a perfect storm of factors that make the job so dangerous: Housekeepers often are tasked with cleaning whole blocks of rooms, so they’re alone in isolated wings or halls of their hotels, without security or any means of calling for help. The women who fill these positions tend to have humble backgrounds, have few means, or are illegal immigrants—and may indeed have all those characteristics. They consequently are less likely file complaints or speak up about mistreatment, for fear of jeopardizing their jobs. And there’s an inherent power dynamic at play, wherein a hotel’s management is eager to please wealthy clients—even if that means turning a blind eye to the complaints of one of their staffers.
Working as a housekeeper is difficult in any circumstances. Cleaning hotel rooms involves lifting mattresses that can weigh more than 100 pounds in order to tuck in sheets, which typically are flat, not fitted; extended periods of kneeling; and stooping over to scrub bathrooms and walls. It’s the kind of repetitive stress that frequently leads to slipped discs and other back injuries, and as a result, housekeepers are twice as likely to get hurt at work than the average American worker. A 2002 study by the University of California-Berkeley’s Labor Occupation Health Program found that more than three-quarters of hotel housekeepers said they’d been injured at work.
“It’s just unbelievable,” says Tho Thi Do, general vice president for Immigration, civil Rights, and diversity at Unite Here, the country’s biggest union for employees who work in service industries. The union is currently backing a California bill that would require hotels to switch to fitted sheets and provide housekeepers long-handled brooms—changes the industry is reluctant to adopt because, they say, it could cost them up to $20 million. But according to Do, it’s a small price to pay. “The physical pain, the possibility of being physically disabled for life… The comfort of the guests is at the cost of these women’s bodies,” she says.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-05-20/dominique-strauss-kahns-accuser-the-dangerous-life-of-a-hotel-maid/#

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Shouldn't you wait until she is unemployed to jump on this train? Did I miss where she quit or was fired from the hotel?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:54 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Shouldn't you wait until she is unemployed to jump on this train? Did I miss where she quit or was fired from the hotel?
I think all she needs to do is submit a reguest for a leave of absence...also part of this law was supposed to be making it illegal to fire anyone who does not show up for work if they claim the reason is that they are suffering from abuse trauma. I suppose I should research what was passed, but I am working today, maybe latter.
firefly

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 03:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the normal rules of law do not apply to sex law, and the normal rules of unemployment do not apply to those who claim to be victims of domestic abuse or sexual abuse, or the mothers of same.

Do you just stay up nights making up this stuff?

This crime occured in NYS. This is eligibility determination for unemployment insurance in NYS. I see nothing about being the victim of sexual abuse, or sexual assult, do you?

Quote:
We can only determine your eligibility to benefits after you file a claim and we have all the required information. We determine your eligibility based upon the New York State Unemployment Insurance Law and precedents of the Law as set by court decisions.

You may be eligible for benefits if:

•You lost your job due to lack of work
•The temporary or seasonal employment ended
•Your job was eliminated
•There was an involuntary reduction in force
•The company downsized or shut down
•The company restructured or reorganized
•There was a lack of company operating funds/orders
•You were out of work for any other business reason that you did not choose or control
•Your employer discharged or fired you because you could not meet their performance or production standards, or their qualifications for the job

You may be denied benefits if you:

•Were fired because your employer because you violated a company policy, rule or procedure, such as absenteeism or insubordination
•Quit your job without good cause, such as a compelling personal reason
•Are out of work because of a work stoppage (except for lockouts) in the last 49 days that violated an existing collective bargaining agreement where you worked
http://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/claimantinfo/beforeyouapplyfaq.shtm

NYS can consider victims of domestic violence eligible for unemployment benefits only under certain circumstances
Quote:
You may be eligible for unemployment benefits if you lost your job or if you had to quit voluntarily or leave your job because of domestic violence, in other words, because you believed that continued employment would jeopardize your safety or the safety of any member of your immediate family.
http://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/claimantinfo/domesticviolenceanduibenefits.shtm#0

Okay, Hawkeye, show me where victims of sexual assault in NYS automatically receive, or are automatically eligible, for unemployment insurance?

Besides, the hotel maid is still employed, she just hasn't returned to work.
firefly

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 03:18 pm
@engineer,
Quote:

Hawkeye doesn't want to be confused by facts. He's determined to claim all crime victims are getting all sorts of free money--whether that's true or not, and whether it's true in the case of this hotel maid.

I'm still waiting for him to provide verification for his statement that crime victims in NYS receive free housing.

As far as we know, the hotel maid is still employed.
0 Replies