Is the Cabinet War Rooms in the White House?

izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 12:15 pm
@McTag,
Just shows how where you're from colours how you look at things. In the UK, we believe the war started in 1939, a lot of Americans believe it started with the bombing of Pearl Harbour in 1941, whilst the Chinese believe it began in 1936, with the Japanese invasion of mainland China.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 12:29 pm
@McTag,
You Brits are having altogether too much fun with "poor, always picked upon, never retaliates or initiates the mud slinging" Pathfinder.

Why not cut the guy a little slack?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 12:58 am
@JTT,
I offered him a gold star, and he declined my offer. He's far too much of a rascal. Anyway there is a bathroom and kitchen supplies chain in the UK called 'Plumb Center,' either it's part of an American chain or it's spelled like that because of the pun on the Texan vernacular.
McTag

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 02:25 am
@izzythepush,

I think it's spelled like that because British computers have American spellchekrs.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 03:13 am
@McTag,
You might be right there.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 10:59 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Anyway there is a bathroom and kitchen supplies chain in the UK called 'Plumb Center,' either it's part of an American chain or it's spelled like that because of the pun on the Texan vernacular.

It's owned by a British company called Wolseley UK - no connection with the old car makers - a building trade supplies outfit. The headquarters used to be in Ripon and was the city's largest employer. Every so often letters appeared in the Ripon Gazette bemoaning the 'American' spelling of the word Center. Apparently the (mis)spelling is deliberate, to make the name stick in people's minds. Just think about it... because of that spelling you (and many others) will remember that company and when you want a tap or a shower or whatever you'll think of them. At least that's the idea. They also own Plumb Center , Build Center, Pipe Center , Parts Center, Drain Center , Climate Center and Integrated Supply Chain, (formerly Maintenance Center).

By the way, I believe it's usual to spell American/British proper names as the locals do, so it should be Pearl Harbor (not Harbour) and (of course) the World Trade Center, and the (British) Labour Party although there is the Australian Labor Party. And the reason why NASA spelt a shuttle's name "Endeavour" is because it is named after Captain Cook's ship HMS Endeavour.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 11:57 am
@contrex,
I think that probably puts this thread to bed. I appreciate the time and energy you put into tying this one up. That's some really good research.
McTag

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 02:34 pm
@izzythepush,

Quite an endevor.
0 Replies

akrml1771

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 11:09 am
What a baloney sandwich all this is. (1) The Churchill Centre and its journal Finest Hour are international. (2) The spelling “Centre” is in deference to international usage. (3) The Churchill Centre’s US offices were shifted from Washington to Chicago five years ago. (4) The Centre raises money to support the Churchill War Rooms in London. (5) If there is any remaining confusion see www.winstonchurchill.org. (6) Looking out the window, I have discovered that I am still in the USA. --Richard M. Langworth, Editor, Finest Hour.
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 07:25 pm
@akrml1771,
akrml1771 wrote:

What a baloney sandwich all this is. (1) The Churchill Centre and its journal Finest Hour are international. (2) The spelling “Centre” is in deference to international usage. (3) The Churchill Centre’s US offices were shifted from Washington to Chicago five years ago. (4) The Centre raises money to support the Churchill War Rooms in London. (5) If there is any remaining confusion see www.winstonchurchill.org. (6) Looking out the window, I have discovered that I am still in the USA. --Richard M. Langworth, Editor, Finest Hour.

Sounds that you are a senior from CIA.

Salute to your intelligence. Razz

I wonder whether Richard M. Langworth is one of the most authoritative experts in the research of the history of Winston Churchill?

McTag

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 04:17 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
Sounds that you are a senior from CIA.

Salute to your intelligence.

Woo hahahahahahaha Rolling Eyes Drunk
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 04:21 am
Reports of the demise of this thread have been greatly exaggerated. (And a tip of the hat to Mr. Clemens.)
oristarA

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 04:48 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Reports of the demise of this thread have been greatly exaggerated. (And a tip of the hat to Mr. Clemens.)

I would not care about whether Mr.Clemens' ghost haunts here. Very Happy

izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:52 am
@oristarA,
This is the Paul McCartney of threads.
contrex

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:27 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

This is the Paul McCartney of threads.

You mean it's stupid and annoying? Or that it once had "Wings" but not any more? (I'll get my coat)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 02:39 pm
@contrex,
Suits you sir. Oooooh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 03:33 pm
@contrex,
I think the thread just keeps on going, or at least returning.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 03:37 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
(I'll get my coat)

Don't let the screen door hit you on your way out, C.

[No personal harm intended. Just a golden opportunity to let Ori and any other EFLs see a bit of real life English]
0 Replies