Do we have any math people here?

izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:07 am
@BillRM,
It was compared to how many we lost. You didn't enter the war until 1917. We had been fighting for three years by then. I didn't catch the Prince's kiss as I had something better to do. Don't make the mistake of thinking you can upset an Englishman by insulting the Royal family. Most of us are completely indiffent to a bunch of over-privileged parasites who look like horses. You're the one's fascinated by the Royal Wedding not us. I'd sooner they got married in Vegas by Elvis, and spent all the money on the NHS.
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:11 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
It was compared to how many we lost. You didn't enter the war until 1917

Marching good men into machine guns fire by the hundreds of thousands and gaining nothing by so doing is not an achievement.

Those American troops was as key to ending WW1 as the atoms bombs was in ending WW2.

I do kind of like your room temperature beer however.

Oh and those motorcycle gangs of your ridding around on those tiny bikes and trying to act mean are amusing.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:23 am
@BillRM,
I think we can both agree on that. WW1 was a tragic loss of life all round. Incompetant generals used 19th Century tactics for 20th century weaponry. My grandfather just missed out on it, he joined up at the end and was posted to Mesopotamia. Now Iraq, but always Mesopotamia to my Grandfather.

I'm glad you like our beer, but I'm afraid I don't. My favourite beer is Czech especially urquell pils, or original Czech budweiser. I think you can get it in America, but they're not allowed to call it budweiser for obvious reasons. I think it's called budwar or something like that. Incidentally the only country in Europe where your budweiser is allowed to be called budweiser is the UK. On mainland Europe it's called bud, or at least it was last time I was there.

I have to admit your pepsi/coke is better than our tizer.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:24 am
What does this have to do with math?
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:34 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I think we can both agree on that. WW1 was a tragic loss of life all round. Incompetant generals used 19th Century tactics for 20th century weaponry. My grandfather just missed out on it, he joined up at the end and was posted to Mesopotamia. Now Iraq, but always Mesopotamia to my Grandfather.

Take note that Churchill who was half American by blood came up with the idea of tanks or at least was the driving force behind them.

That is one war machine that likely save more lives then it took on the battlefield.

My one Grandfather was in basic training for WW1 service when the war ended.
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:35 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
What does this have to do with math?

Nothing at all..............even if I did do my best math work with a CRC book in one hand and a beer in the other.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:42 am
@BillRM,
Are you an actuary? A statistician? An engineer?
farmerman

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:47 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Considering that most of you are descended from people who learned English as a second language that's more likely to be the case. I've already told you where I'm from. I'm English, like the language we're speaking. Anyway we seem to have disrupted the thread nicely, now all it needs is someone to post pictures of semi naked men to finish the job.
No need to get snippy mate. Vernacular and slang are often the same. In this case the word is a noun unique to the practice (or profession in raps case). So muggle,please .
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:49 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Are you an actuary? A statistician? An engineer?

Retired engineer..........................
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:50 am
@BillRM,
Okay-in that case, can you please help me with:

http://able2know.org/topic/171468-1

I am trying to find a job that uses math.
farmerman

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:54 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
we say something's not bad we mean it's fantastic.
Youre not unique, recall that the UK is not quite as big as Wyoming. So we have the "cowboy understatement". and "Hillbilly phrases" (Hillbilly is more akin to ELizabethan ENglish and "bayou patois".
We often say
"Youre about half smart" when we are impressed with someones intelligence.
or
"She aint as ugly as I thought" means someone is a knockout
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:58 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I am trying to find a job that uses math.

What is your educational background in the subject?

If you have a BS and a background in math you might be able to find a teaching position in a private school for example.

Math and science teachers are in short supply from my reading.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 11:04 am
@BillRM,
I can see why we would both want to claim Churchill. We did invent the tank though. They say that each war is training for the next one, and although I don't know a great deal about differing allied tactics in WW1 it's fair to say that the Americans had just fought the first modern war, your civil war, so would have a better grip on how to fight machine gun nests. There may well have been some bloody mindedness amongst the British and French top brass that lead to unnecessary loss of life.

Unfortunately this bloody mindednesss went both ways. The battle of the Atlantic was almost lost shortly after America entered the war because Adiral Ernest King refused to accept British advice on convoys. The Germans called it the second happy time
farmerman

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 11:07 am
@izzythepush,
Ive been taught that Australia invented the tank and the brits and Us turned it down. The brits finally bought the idea in the middle of WWI. so actually, the brits "purchased the technology" first.
Russia and US perfected it.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 11:12 am
@farmerman,
We'd probably call that a back-handed compliment, as in 'You don't sweat much for a fat girl.'
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 11:21 am
@farmerman,
I don't know about that, but at that time Britain and the rest of the empire were so linked militarily that it's possible. Still it is credited to us on Wikipedia. You might want to take it up with them. Anyway if we did pinch the credit we wouldn't be alone in that. Your Edison for example was quite good at that. He does deserve credit for lots of inventions, the light bulb and sound recording for example, but the film projector and movie camera were invented by William Friese Greene. And it always grates when Edison gets the credit, like he did on the Simpsons
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 11:31 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Americans had just fought the first modern war, your civil war, so would have a better grip on how to fight machine gun nests.

You do know that all or at least most of the European powers had observers on hand on both sides during the American Civil war and yet seem not to had learn a great deal from it.

http://www.kansaspress.ku.edu/luvmil.html

The Military Legacy of theCivil War
The European Inheritance
Jay Luvaas
New Introduction by the author
xxx, 254 pages, illus.
Modern War Studies
Paper ISBN 978-0-7006-0379-4 $14.95

This pioneering study focuses on the experiences and writings of the surprisingly large number of Prussian, British, and French military observers who witnessed the Civil War firsthand. Luvaas's fascinating account reveals why they came, what they wrote, what their armies learned (or failed to learn) from their reports, and how their writings influenced later European military theorists.

For this edition, Luvaas has added a thoughtful introduction that analyzes why some "military lessons" are learned and others ignored and examines the extent to which such lessons can be applied to subsequent conflicts.

"Far and away the best investigation and analysis of the impact of the American Civil War on European military thought and military history."--Russell F. Weigley, author of The American Way of War

"A wonderfully original work."--Stephen B. Oates, author of Abraham Lincoln

"Luvaas shows in general how military ideas are transmitted or lost within professional circles. This contribution is one of the few important pieces on the intellectual history of war."--Alex Roland, author of Underwater Warfare in the Age of Sail

"Practically in a class by itself among the more than 70,000 volumes published on the Civil War period."--James I. Robertson, Jr., author of General A. P. Hill: The Story of a Confederate Warrior

JAY LUVAAS is professor of military history at the United States Army War College at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania, and is the author or editor of numerous books, including The Education of an Army: British Military Thought, 1815-1940.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 11:39 am
@BillRM,
It doesn't really matter how many observers you have if the powers that be are too bloody minded to listen.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 11:46 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
the light bulb and sound recording for example, but the film projector and movie camera were invented by William Friese Greene. And it always grates when Edison gets the credit, like he did on the Simpsons

You wish to start another war with the colonies?

Edison did not invented the light bulb just one that would burn for hundreds plus hours and therefore could be useful and become part of a lighting system. There was lab toys before his high vacuum carbon bulbs.

The movie projector of Edison used a new type, at the time, film stock and so once more was more then a lab. Toy.

Footnote as a young kid I remember playing around trying to get a hard enough vacuum so a filament would not go up right away.

Of course as a kid I did not understand less alone have access to the equipments needed to created a hard enough vacuum.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 12:13 pm
@BillRM,
Calm down mate, just a bit of banter. Edison improved the film projector, he didn't invent it. Your definition of a lab toy is a bit disingenuous. To all intents and purposes he invented the light bulb, not a brief flash. If you're still having problems locating a vacuum you could try looking between Sarah Palin's ears.