My friend is a Moron

wayne

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 12:30 pm
@chai2,
When he told me he hadda put the plug in the gas tank I thought whah???
"Yeah, cause the gas was running out the back of the boat"
roger

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 01:41 pm
@wayne,
Don't ask if he still doesn't know what the fire extinguisher is for. He's probably feeling kind of glum about now, anyway.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 02:03 pm
Well, in about an hour I'm supposed to go over to the sandpit to see if we can get this motor started. First I've gotta find my lucky shirt, my lucky shoes, my lucky bigfoot talisman, and my lucky hat. Wish me luck.
If you don't hear from me again, you have my permission to auction off my avatar and donate the proceeds to A2k.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 02:04 pm
@wayne,
He's definitely a moron, and a dangerous one too! If he doesn't apply to
boating 101 soon, he'll be up for some real damage control.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 02:08 pm
@wayne,
Quote:
My friend just thought the bilge plug was the gas tank plug, duh.
So he could have just lifted the floorboard and taken the gas tank to the gas station instead of taking the whole boat. Ya know, Id call Joe Nation , maybe you and he could put a funny book together about this Bassmaster.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 02:11 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
My friend just thought the bilge plug was the gas tank plug, duh.
So he could have just lifted the floorboard and taken the gas tank to the gas station instead of taking the whole boat. Ya know, Id call Joe Nation , maybe you and he could put a funny book together about this Bassmaster.

Also, I have been told that E-10 gas is nasty for boats, which is why you should always by real gas at the marina...
wayne

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 02:17 pm
@farmerman,
I could let him off on the first 5 gals, after all there was good reason to suspect the gas cap led to the gas tank. But putting the bilge plug in and another 5 gals, he's gonna hear about that for awhile Embarrassed
Personally, I would have looked in the bilge when I got the thing.
I haven't the heart to tell him I'm anonomously exposing his folly to the world.
I suppose if the book sells, I'll have to give him a percentage. Wink
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 02:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
I always add stabil to mine, seems to be ok.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 02:23 pm
@farmerman,
I guess I didn't tell ya, the funny thing about this guy, he is the luckiest sob fisherman I've ever seen. No kidding, you wouldn't believe it, he's like the idiot savant of fishing. If you ever need a tournament partner, this is the guy, you can't lose.
farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 06:12 pm
@wayne,
Its all in the wrist. Ive fished areas and have been next to a boat with a guy whos just pulling em in left and right and Im standing there with a drowning worm
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:05 am
I went along to see if the motor would start on the hulk yesterday. We did manage to get the thing started, eventually, after about 20 minutes of cranking.
Neither of the impellers looked to be pumping enough water, and the motor didn't want to idle very well. Throttle response was pretty sluggish, didn't seem to be making anywhere near the power it should. So I was able to recommend the boat shop for some repair work, and probably a large enough bill to properly welcome him to the world of boating.
That means it will be out of my hair, for awhile at least.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:21 am
@wayne,
Well, that was a Solomonic decision, wayne. He will have to fix up the boat
anyway if he wants to sell it again in a while when he's wised up ...or should
I say "if he ever wises up"?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:58 am
@wayne,
Did he buy this tub sight unseen? Why wouldn't he have taken an expert (you) along with him to check it out? Is he really that clueless? Or just trusting? Or did he have a hole burning in his pocket?
wayne

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:14 am
@Mame,
He went up and took a look at the boat before he bought it. That really didn't make much difference though, as he is indeed that clueless.
He just doesn't realize what is involved with buying a 25 year old 2-stroke motor, when you have no idea the history of which.
One of the sayings is that they give you the boat when you buy a motor.

So now he is going to get a lesson, I have a pretty good idea what the boat mechanic is going to tell him.
0 Replies