Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 06:54 pm
@farmerman,
Uh oh. Now you've gone and done it.
wayne

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 07:01 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Uh oh. Now you've gone and done it.

You can say that again, not only that, but he's got me drooling over pictures of cedar strip canoes again.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:00 pm
@wayne,
Well, you can help your friend fix up the boat and take it to the lake, but as
you said yourself, a boot needs constant maintenance and work which your friend is probably not capable of nor willing to do. So every time you take
his boat to the lake, you're putting your life in his hands. Not a good idea,
given his track record which would translate to you doing the safety check and the necessary work, not once, not twice but every time you go out with him.

Safety is first priority here, never mind if your friend needs a lesson to learn or not. Would you get into his car knowing that his brakes aren't working properly, even though you've told him to get things fixed? Certainly not!

Any vehicle ownership comes with responsibilities, especially when other passengers are part of the equation. If your friend is not willing to go the
extra mile and make certain that his boat is safe, he has no business of
owning a boat.
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:03 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
a boot needs constant maintenance
You speak Canadian really well.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:10 pm
@farmerman,
Hahaha......In my mind I heard Mame talking and wrote "boot" instead of boat. Laughing
wayne

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:47 pm
@CalamityJane,
I feel the same way about the safety. When I take someone out in my boat I am responsible for thier safety.
I feel the same way about a car, but a lot of people don't.
My friend stopped by this evening, I think he is starting to realize that this isn't going to be quite as simple as he originally thought. He had a lot of questions to ask, so he is doing some thinking. That's a good sign. He's not in such a hurry to get to the lake as he was.

One of the things he asked about was why you need a fire extinguisher, you've got plenty of water right. So I had to explain the behavior of gasoline and water. At least he is asking questions.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 01:59 am
@CalamityJane,
ha. ha. ha. I do NOT say BOOT! Unless, of course, it is a boot. Smile
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 10:43 am
Oh boy, the saga continues.
This morning my friend took his boat to the gas station and filled the bilge with gasoline. Evidently someone made some changes to the gas tank at some point.
farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 10:55 am
@wayne,
Or else the entire tank assembly developed a leak . MAybe thata why he got the boat cheap?. Think he knows what to do?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 10:57 am
@farmerman,
light a smoke...?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 11:12 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Or else the entire tank assembly developed a leak
Assuming that this guy did not put it in the wrong hole, that seems likely. Yikes, what a dangerous mess.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 11:14 am
@wayne,
So, how much did it hold?
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 11:16 am
@farmerman,
They took out the original tank, left the old filler nozzle on the side hooked to nothing. Put a new, smaller tank in that you have to fill directly.
I sent him to the dirt road to drain the bilge, there goes the environment, and then to the car wash, it is drying in the sun with all the covers open.
Well, I guess he learned how to clean the bilge, and where the gas tank really is. Ten gallons poorer than he was when he started.
wayne

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 11:19 am
@wayne,
I guess he put five gallons in, saw it running out, figured that was what the plug was for, put the plug in and another five gallons. Drunk
roger

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 11:22 am
@wayne,
Truely laughing out loud!
chai2

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 11:25 am
ohmygod <head in hands, weeping>

memories
light the corners of my mind....
farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 11:32 am
@wayne,
wait a minit what did he fill? surely not the vent or the self bailers? he cant be that.....

He needs one of the levered caps that are on bigger boats. The opnes that say Diesel only or Gasoline only
wayne

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 12:15 pm
@farmerman,
The boat has a filler spout on the side, but they apparently removed the original tank and substituted a 9 gallon that you have to fill from under the bilge access. The old filler spout just goes into the bilge.
My friend just thought the bilge plug was the gas tank plug, duh.
See what I'm dealing with here?
wayne

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 12:20 pm
@wayne,
I told him definitely do not touch any switches til that thing airs out completely.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 12:26 pm
@roger,
I lmfao after I knew he was safe from explosion. And this is just the first week.
0 Replies