What are you up to this Easter?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 07:01 pm
@farmerman,
Did you now - since I don't know I won't yell at you yet.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 07:02 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

So you all dismiss jcboy's point. I get he is flagrant. But still, he gets a point of view. Interesting ignoring.

He has not commented on my posts. Neither have you. Only fm. What are you folks doing, trying to drive me away from the thread?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 07:04 pm
@farmerman,
There are lots of friendships and flirting in those places.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 07:05 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Looks like it was a BYO buns and wieners party
That statement needs to be reexamined more fully Very Happy NOT that theres anything wrong with it you understand.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 07:08 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Didnt you have the priests (or prelates) come and visit the homes and bless the tables starting on Good Friday?

Yes, but none of ours were half as colourful as Ojcez Mickuyn.
We got the serious non-drinking ones who talked a lot about oppression in the motherland & things like that ... incredibly serious stuff.
Pennsylvania obviously got the fun priest & we missed out! Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 07:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, I think jcboy's "point" was not to get into a political debate about homosexuality here.
He was simply telling us about how he was going to spend his Easter & was obviously looking forward to a gathering of gay men.
And why not?
Good luck to him. I hope he has a great time!

And good luck to edgar's oldies at their egg hunt on Easter Sunday, too.
Why should kids have all the fun?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 07:27 pm
@msolga,
That's all very nice but no one ever just talks with him.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 08:22 pm
jc - that picture reminded me of the Easter we were supposed to go to Coney Island (a big amusement park in Brooklyn) and it snowed- on Easter. Of course I don't remember if it was in March or April that year, because I don't remember which specific year it was - but that was a disappointment.
I was thinking - 'Where does he live that he can plan a pool party with any confidence on Easter?'

I was thinking yesterday about Easter bonnets too. Do little girls still get Easter bonnets?
That was one of my favorite parts about Easter - the bonnets were almost as exciting as the Easter baskets with all the candy.
And I always loved the patent leather shoes and white gloves we got to wear.

And then that reminded me of me and my sisters standing still while my mother pinned up the hems of our dresses- and I pictured her holding her ladybug pincushion and her kneeling down with pins in her mouth, saying, 'Okay, now turn,'
and then later all of us sitting around with our hair in pin curls the Saturday night before while Bonanza was playing in the backgroun and each of us who were old enough hemming our own dresses. Sometimes my father and older brother would be enlisted if it really got down to the wire - because my mother always made her own Easter dress and one for each of the four girls.

And then sometimes we'd get up and go to the sunrise Easter service. Honestly, when I think back on it, I don't know how my parents did all that they did. Who in their right mind actually makes five dresses, curls all the girl's hair, prepares the Easter baskets and (having already done the shopping), dyes all the eggs, gets six kids up and ready for church in time for six o'clock and then takes all those kids to Coney Island for the afternoon?
Jesus - I'd have to go home and take a nap.

But yeah, where I grew up it was always sort of iffy weather-wise - it could be a glorious spring day, or you might have to ruin your whole outfit by putting your heavy winter coat and boots on over your nice spring dress and patent leather shoes.
msolga

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 09:49 pm
Childhood reminiscences again:
I always associate Cecil B. DeMille with Easter, specifically Good Friday.
Watching "religious" films on afternoon TV was one of the few allowable activities on Good Friday ... we were not allowed to play music, dance, or smile, or be conspicuously happy, even. It was a very serious day indeed!
So I got to watch lots of "epic" films, like this one, when I was a little kid.
Lots of chariot races, sword fights & strong, muscly men with oiled bodies (usually Charlton Heston), dressed in togas & robes, fighting the good fight against the evil guys. Good always triumphed, which was excellent.
Why don't they make movies like those anymore? They were great! Smile

0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 01:01 am
@aidan,
We never had new cloth for Easter nor Easterbonnets, but got some new spring/summercloth for 1st of May. Guess it was more apropriate in cold Sweden.
aidan

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 01:16 am
@saab,
May Day is another holiday I find very beautiful. I think it's all the flowers and ribbons.
'Summercloth' is such a nice word - I've never heard it before.
It does perfectly describe all the light, springy flowery materials you could choose from to have your dress made.
I loved going to the store with my mother, picking out the pattern and the fabric and the buttons and I loved the smell of the fabrics and hearing the sound the scissors made against the table as the woman unrolled the bolt of cloth and then cut off however many yards were needed.
Funny, I associate that with Easter as we only got new clothes and shoes twice a year and that was at Easter and in late August or early September when we had to get new school clothes.
Until I was 12, we had to wear dresses to school- so my mom made most of our clothes up until then.

I do love the word 'Easter'. Someone I knew named their daughter that and I thought, 'How pretty and hopeful' - I thought if I ever got a horse - I'd name her Easter.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 01:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
http://www.word-origins.com/definition/east.html

It just dawned on me that there could be precursors to minor german dialects. Wink
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 05:45 am
I forgot to say that we take in branches of birch trees, put them in a vase and decorate them with coloured feathers.

http://blogg.svt.se/ebba/files/2011/04/Sk%C3%A4rmavbild-2011-04-02-kl.-13.27.50-620x474.png
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 02:01 am
I've had a very productive Easter Sunday.
I'm very happy with my efforts.

As it was a very pleasant sunny day, I decided to start tackling the humongous backlog of gardening tasks, which should have been tackled quite some time ago ...
I mowed the lawns (front & back), filled up my green garbage bin with prunings from various bushes & plants & did some very necessary weeding. Just a start, I'm going to get back out there tomorrow.
I can't tell you how much better I feel now that I've made some inroads into this work! Smile
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 04:46 am
@msolga,
Its Easter Sunday now and Ive been off A2K (we went out and about). SO Im getting ready to do some trout fishing later this afternoon, and we will be visiting a bit. Rain Rain Rain, its been impossible to do any good trout fishing, the streams are kinda muddy from runoff. I hope we get some breaks in the weather soon, I also need to till some garden soil and weed my plants that are in.

Hope your day was fun. Do you guys have a day off on Monday? many places consider Easxter Monday a holiday also. The AMish will be out visiting and picnicking . The nubile Amish youth use these "shoulder" holidays to meet potential mates and to socialize as a group. Its time for "Rumspringeh" ( a time when Amish kids go a little nuts and before they join the church, their culture allows this and its fun seeing these otherwise austere people having fun)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 05:11 am
@farmerman,
Happy Easter!

Yeah, I have a day off tomorrow.

David
msolga

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 05:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,
So what have you been getting up to, David? (if it's OK to ask)

I hope you catch a few, farmer!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 05:17 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
So what have you been getting up to, David? (if it's OK to ask)
O, I just eat when I 'm tired n sleep when I 'm hungry
and awaken,whenever that happens. Watch HDTV or read, or go on-line, etc.

David
msolga

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 05:24 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Ah life is hard! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 05:28 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Do you guys have a day off on Monday?

Yes, Monday is a holiday for most over Easter, farmer.
For luckier folk Tuesday is, too.

Rumspringeh sounds pretty amazing! Smile
0 Replies