I'm Voting Green This Friday

djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 02:04 pm
you bet, voting in the first available advance poll i can get my hands on

i'd actually be happy if the Conservatives* won a majority government, but i can't bring myself to vote for the local Conservative guy, i don't want the Liberals to win, mainly because i can't stand the Leader, so that leaves me a choice of the NDP and the Green Party, and the Green Party candidate is a cutie, so she gets my vote, ain't democracy grand

*not because i have any love for the Conservatives, but a few years without an election would be nice, and i couldn't stand having the Liberal leader as PM

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 02:17 pm
@djjd62,
Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that we can vote on Good Friday? The senior centre has a big notice up that it's closed Good Friday and Easter Monday and yet that's the address for the advance polls. (We're going to check it out.)

I like all the candidates EXCEPT the conservative incumbent. Really all the other candidates are quite impressive so it's a tough decision. I sure wish we had proportional representation <sigh>
djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 02:21 pm
@Tai Chi,
yeah, it apparently took a few churches by surprise as well, we're at the rec centre in Cottam so it shouldn't be an issue (and it's 12 pm to 8 pm so i guess folks can go to church in the morning)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 02:25 pm
Excellent. I am a political junkie, chasing after elections all over the world. I never could find out much on the Canadian races. I look forward to to seeing how this all plays out.
If you have time, please write a brief paragraph and how the libs, conservatives, greens etc come down on them.
Thanks.
djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 02:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
here's some links to the three main parties platforms
Conservative Party of Canada platform
http://www.conservative.ca/policy/platform_2011/

Liberal Party of Canada platform
http://www.liberal.ca/platform/

New Democratic Party of Canada platform
http://www.ndp.ca/platform

the Green Party don't really stand a chance, but here's their platform
http://greenparty.ca/platform2011

the Bloc Quebecois is a regional party, can't find an english page with their platform
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 02:58 pm
@djjd62,
Thank you. I will have to dig into that. My understanding is the Tories will get the most votes but not enough to gain control without support from either the Libs or the NDP.
I thought the election is May 2nd. Are there provincial elections on April 22nd?
djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 03:01 pm
@realjohnboy,
there are three days of advance polls this weekend (friday, saturday and monday)

the problem is that the Conservatives likely will win a minority government (as has happened the last few times), the Liberals and NDP and block threatened a coalition last time, but it never happened, and so far the three parties are saying they won't even bring it up this time, but we'll see
ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 03:12 pm
@djjd62,
have you considered

http://voteswap.ca
ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 03:15 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.votepair.ca/

Quote:
You can have an impact!

15,000 swapped votes can change which party becomes government
ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 03:16 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/04/15/cv-election-vote-swap.html

I listened to a CBC interview with this guy earlier this week.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 03:16 pm
@ehBeth,
interesting, but..........

why oh why must everything revolve around facebook, yech

the cbc compass told me i was a green party voter (surprised the heck out of me)
ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 03:17 pm
@djjd62,
I don't think you have to go through fb for votepair
ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 03:21 pm
@djjd62,
I voted green last time round - we had their finance critic running in our riding - they're comparatively moderate fiscally which appealed to me

I'll probably go back to our Liberal candidate. She's done good work for the riding. I'm not a big Iggy fan, but I'll do what I can to make sure the conservative doesn't get elected in our riding. If we were a few blocks west, I'd be able to vote directly for Jack Layton. I could tolerate that.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 03:22 pm
@ehBeth,
will check that out

another reason i would like to see a conservative majority, is the hope that the libs would send Mr. I packing and elect a leader i could get behind for the next election, i'm not sure that will happen if it's another minority (but i can hope)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 04:40 am
@djjd62,
I cannot stand Ignatief or Harper, and there's no way the Green party will amount to anything, so I'm going to vote NDP. I want a coalition govt because there's no other way to check Harper. He's arrogant, doesn't listen to the people, and I think he's a dictator.

Ignatief is utterly repellent to me, and I'm hoping the Liberals lose big time, learn a lesson and change their leader. I could vote Liberal if they had someone decent as head but it all depends on who. If the party thinks Ignatief is their best bet, they're not for me.

I don't care who's who in my riding because I think it's all about party, not individuals. I'm going to check out the advance polling in my area and get it over with.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 04:45 am
On a related topic, remember the good old days when candidates and/or volunteers would come knocking on your door to talk to you about the candidates, see if you needed a ride to the polling station, etc? Nowadays we have been deluged with recorded messages - we haven't seen one person related to the election. What's up with that?

I also haven't seen any notices about candidate debates anywhere. We used to attend those to see who was who and what was what. Do they do that anymore?

A good thing about CBC in Vancouver is that they have wonderful coverage of the election topics that way - I forget what they called them, but they'd hold these in different communities in the Lower Mainland - the candidates were there, there was a moderator, and an audience who participated. They were quite interesting. Nowadays, here in Cgy, anyway, you never get a chance to find out who they are. We don't even get flyers.
msolga

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 04:52 am
@djjd62,
What is the Greens' platform, dj?
Just curious & comparing notes here.

I've voted Green at state & federal elections here in Oz, for quite a few years now.
djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 04:53 am
@Mame,
we've got one call from the conservative (incumbent) candidates office, a real person and all, but nothing from the others, the liberal candidate didn't even start putting up signs until about a week ago, the NDP guy had his signs out the morning of the vote that brought the government down

this might rank as the weirdest election i've ever witnessed
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 04:56 am
@msolga,
all the platforms are in this post
http://able2know.org/topic/171007-1#post-4580664
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 04:57 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
I'm Voting Green This Friday
Does it COUNT, if its not on a Tuesday ???

Sounds perverted.
0 Replies