I'm Voting Green This Friday

djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 01:45 pm
okay so no early voting due to car trouble, now have to vote with the rest of the rabble on election day, yecch

and now i find out that the communist party has a member running in the next riding, the mother of the kid i voted for a few years back in the provincial election, damn, i'd have voted for her if i could

or maybe not, i was sure i heard she was running, unless she was declaring for the upcoming provincial election
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:36 am
@djjd62,
Are these reports in the American media true, that the NDP could actually win the whole taco?

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/04/yes-america-there-is-a-canada.php?ref=fpblg

Cycloptichorn
djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:50 am
@Cycloptichorn,
from what i've seen, it still looks like a conservative minority, but the ndp could take second place, and if the leader formed a coalition government with the liberals who will take third (if the ndp take second) he'd effectively be the prime minister
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:03 am
@Cycloptichorn,
it's been really funny to see this election progress, at the beginning the libs and cons were basically fighting each other and the ndp just plugged along, then from out of nowhere the ndp gained this sweeping popularity and the two other parties had to change tack quickly to start attacking mr. layton and his party

for mr. layton's part he's very charismatic, he's a cancer survivor, had a hip operation and hasn't let any of it slow him down, his parliamentary record puts the other major leaders to shame

Party leaders and their voting attendance count in Parliament since 2008:
Bloc Québécois - Gilles Duceppe missed just 3 percent of the votes
NDP - Jack Layton missed just 3 percent of the votes
Conservative - Stephen Harper has missed almost half the votes
Liberal - Michael Ignatieff missed almost 60 per cent
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:18 am
@Cycloptichorn,
http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/elections/polls-2008-10-mov-avg.png
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:19 am
@djjd62,
Wow, great trendline there for the NDP! I'll have to actually look into this more.

Cycloptichorn
djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:23 am
@Cycloptichorn,
they've made some real gains in quebec for some reason

it's funny, we have a snap 5 week election and it already seems too long, i don't know how you guys go through your year(+) long campaigns
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:28 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

they've made some real gains in quebec for some reason

it's funny, we have a snap 5 week election and it already seems too long, i don't know how you guys go through your year(+) long campaigns

We suffer greatly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 10:58 am
I voted on Monday. It's a three way heat in my neighbourhood. I can't stand the conservative candidate, the only issue he's made any noise on was the long gun registry. Seriously! I don't know anyone who owns a gun, and in this inner city neighbourhood why would they own a rifle, or care about hunting more than, say, oh I dunno, education, healthcare, infrastructure - (not jails and jets)... so WTF?
The liberal candidate seems like a good choice, she was Anne McClellan right hand, but the liberal party is out of favour here, so I voted NDP. Lewis Cardinal, went to the same highschool as me, he's a really interesting candidate. He's the brother of cop on Corner Gas. He ran for city council in the fall, didn't make it, but I think he's a rising star, very, very smart individual. I'm praying I voted with the right party, didn't jinx the vote. I don't have the best history...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 11:13 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
it's funny, we have a snap 5 week election and it already seems too long
that's why I voted early - I was already tired of it - once I told the subway canvassers I'd already voted they backed off
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 07:52 pm
@ehBeth,
My understanding is that no vote totals can be revealed until polls in the west close. Tomorrow, for me.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 08:23 pm
@realjohnboy,
That's right. There is some controversy about this as people who tweet /post about results in the east may be charged.

Brave New World
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 08:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Or some media outlet near the border may release exits polls.
Anyway, I have my bet down on this one. We will see tomorrow.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 08:55 pm
Conservative: 32%
NDP: 30%
Liberal: 26%
Other: 12%
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 09:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
tomorrow?

the election isn't until Monday - with the full results available after midnight Eastern
djjd62

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 04:49 am
@ehBeth,
i though about starting to tweet at 9:31 am (one minute after the polls open my time) that early results show a landslide victory for gilles duceppe, or maybe just make up insane write in names every hour, from polls open to close
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 07:50 am
no green vote, was surprised to find the marxist leninist candidate on the ballot, so he got my vote
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:08 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

tomorrow? the election isn't until Monday - with the full results available after midnight Eastern

Monday. Today. I knew that. Midnight is after my bedtime. I will check it out in the morning. The articles I read suggest the results will suggest the "demise" of the Lib party.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 02:13 pm
My wife and I did our usual NDP votes again.
hamburgboy

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 02:28 pm
@Reyn,
was instructed by ebeth to vote " strategically " . Laughing

so i voted for a candidate i had not planned to vote for Shocked - usually vote for the underdog .

the things a father has to do Rolling Eyes