* GREEN 1

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2015 10:24 pm
our new prime minister is 43 years old

this is how it should be

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 01:29 am
I blame the Maratimes. Nobody saw this coming. That last i heard, and i haven't checked up on it for hours, the Liberals had won or were leading in 184 ridings.

crazy crazy crazy
Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 02:03 am
Maybe strategic voting accounts for this.
Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 02:07 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
our new prime minister is 43 years old

this is how it should be

The same age John Kennedy was when he was elected.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 02:15 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Maybe strategic voting accounts for this.

It is highly unlikely. The psychology of hope and social media mob effect are the first two places to look.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 02:25 am
@hawkeye10,
Economic fear has to be at the top of the list too...hopefully there was someone out there collecting good data on the psychology of those who voted. Not a sure thing though.

But this is the last straw, something is very wrong with how the elite take the temp of the little people. This needs to be fixed PDQ.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 02:31 am
It's as though you obsessively want to prove your stupidity.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 02:36 am
@Setanta,
Winning at ideas takes coming up with a better idea, as proven by having a better argument.

You can start attempting to come up with one at anytime.
Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 02:40 am
@hawkeye10,
OK, bright boy, describe how strategic voting works (i'm sure you'll run out and try to find out online before your reply).

Then, Einstein, explain how economic fear was a factor in this election.

Really, you just seem determined to prove your stupidity.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 02:43 am
@hawkeye10,
I don't see any evidence yet of this here but we do need to keep in mind the increasing concern that people might by lying to the pollsters. This could either be out of some conscious motive or it could be a breakdown in the habit of honesty. This ended up being one of the top guesses why the Scottish polling was so wrong.
Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 02:45 am
@hawkeye10,
I see . . . you can't answer the questions, so you'll just try to drag some other BS in. When are you going to come up with a better argument, genius?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 02:55 am
@Setanta,
I did not say that economic fear was a reason for this, but it is a first place to look. I hear that the people are spooked by the weak economy, and there has been a lot of talk about a fear that the trade relationship with the USA has been mismanaged. Ten years is a long time, maybe you change managers based upon the win/loss record alone, maybe there was no confidence that the conservatives had a credible plan. Deficit spending on infrastructure is at least something, the kids might hate the bills but it will help with income from work right now.
Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 03:14 am
@hawkeye10,
You haven't described strategic voting and how it works. But i'll settle for the bullsh*t you're trying to peddle here. The trade relationship with the U.S. was not an issue in this election. The Canadian economy is weak (a little, but not that bad) because of low oil prices, something none of the party leaders can do anything about. You've got a lot of maybes in there, and that's because you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

In fact, both Harper and Mulcair promised to balance the budget. They were both lying, but that did not become an issue, because economic fear played no part in this election. Trudeau, about whom the Tories were frantically warning everyone, not only did not promise to balance the budget, he promised to raise taxes on the top one percent of Canadian wage earners (which, of course, doesn't really affect the truly wealthy, who rely on capital gains--politicians, ya gotta love them reptiles), and he promised to lower taxes for the middle class. When questioned, he flatly said that he was not going to worry about balancing the budget in his first years as PM. The Tories tried scare tactics about the economy if either the New Democrats or the Liberals were elected. That went over like a lead balloon.

You're ignorant about the economic climate and the political climate in Canada. That doesn't, of course, make you stupid, just ignorant. What makes you stupid is pretending that you do know what you're talking about when you clearly don't, and not informing yourself about the topic you're shooting your mouth off about--which is typical of you. Ignorance is a pre-eminently curable condition. Stupidity takes a lot more work. You'd better get busy.
Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 03:20 am
@hawkeye10,
By the way, this:

hawkeye10 wrote:
I did not say that economic fear was a reason for this, but it is a first place to look.

. . . is bullshit.

Earlier you wrote:
Economic fear has to be at the top of the list too...

You're whistling past the graveyard on this whole topic. You don't know what the hell you're talking about, and the pretense is transparent.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 04:06 am
@Setanta,
I have been scratching my head like everyone else.

I spent almost a hour looking around, the only explanation that is making sense is a huge jump in youth vote. I am still trying to nail it down though.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 04:32 am
@hawkeye10,
Youth vote increase would explain the polling error as well. However I can't get confirmation that young people voted in high numbers, all I see is anecdotal reports.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 08:33 am
@Setanta,
Quebec.

Apparently the results in the Maritimes and Ontario were predicted by polls a couple of weeks ago.

The niqab issue brought on by Harper took down Mulcair in Quebec, and instead of the votes going to Harper they went to Trudeau.

Toronto's results were amazing. No one expected Layton's former riding to go to Trudeau.

I'm beyond thrilled that Fantino was tossed out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 08:36 am
@Setanta,
The economy wasn't a significant factor here.

Harper totally ******* up the Syrian immigrant issue was huge, and people straight-out hating Harper was big.

The attack ads totally backfired. People were revolted by them.

Hazel McCallion's ad for Trudeau was apparently a game-changer for people in the 905.

Positive ads work up here. Negative ads, not so much.

Trying to follow the US conservative model tanked the Conservatives here.