Drug free, non-habit forming nasal sprays to fight Sinus condition

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 01:47 pm
I am a 34 year old teacher who has recently been diagnosed with a Sinus condition.

I have tried drug based nasal sprays, but they do not suit me. Would someone be able to guide me on a nasal spray that is drug free and gentle. I also do not want to end up being addicted to the nasal spray.

Many thanks.

chai2

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 01:49 pm
Use a neti pot
roger

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 01:52 pm
@chai2,
If it works, wouldn't water be considered a drug?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 01:57 pm
@chai2,
Yep.

If not a neti pot, you can do the same thing with a bulb syringe. Use a solution of 1 pint water, 1 teaspoon kosher (no-iodine) salt, and a pinch of baking soda. Warm it to approximately body temperature (warm but not hot). Then fill the bulb syringe, insert the tip into your nostril, and aim at the back of your head. Blow nose. Repeat until you're cleared out.

Really, really helps.
Sinusvictim

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 01:59 pm
@chai2,
Thank you for your suggestion.

I do use a Neti pot sometimes at home. My biggest reservation with a Neti pot is that I can not use it outside the house; it is just not convenient. It also requires some amount of preparation time. I have not yet got used to the sensation of water flowing through my nose. The first time I had used it I had put more water in my nose than I should have. The sensation was almost like someone punching me in the nose. Ever since, I am a little scared of the Neti pot. The ingredients used in the neti-pot (Salt + water) seems a little basic to cure a a persistent ailment.

Thanks once again for your suggestion.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 02:00 pm
@Sinusvictim,
Seems basic but it works.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 02:03 pm
@Sinusvictim,
I've dealt with sinus infections of my own and my daughter's, some quite serious, with the bulb syringe + saline solution method. (I first learned of it via my daughter's ENT.) When it's done right, convenience really doesn't come into it. You do it once or twice a day (morning and night at most, we usually just did it at night -- past tense because it hasn't been an issue for a while, knock on wood), and things are much improved.

It's not like you have to nip out in the middle of a meeting to do it in the bathroom.

edit: by the way I've tried both, neti pot and bulb syringe, and personally I prefer the latter. I know some people prefer the former but if you didn't like the neti pot, maybe try the bulb syringe. It gives you a bit more control over the whole process.
Sinusvictim

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 02:07 pm
@sozobe,
Are you aware of any nasal spray that I can use. I am looking for something that is drug free and gentle on the nose.

I am looking for the convenience of stepping out of the classroom for 10 seconds and medicating myself whenever I feel uncomfortable. I also do not want it to be habit forming or have any adverse side effects.

Many Thanks.
Sinusvictim

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 02:09 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks Sozobe.

I'll try the bulb syringe.
sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 02:10 pm
@Sinusvictim,
That's what I'm saying... if you use the saline in the morning or the night before, that will significantly help the problem, to the point where stepping out of the classroom for 10 seconds is not needed.

I'm someone who dealt with sinusitus a LOT until I came across this method. Really works.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 02:11 pm
@Sinusvictim,
Cool. Hope it works for ya. Definitely takes some getting used to but it's one of those ancient solutions that have stuck around since ancient times 'cause it's actually effective.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 02:20 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Yep.

If not a neti pot, you can do the same thing with a bulb syringe. Use a solution of 1 pint water, 1 teaspoon kosher (no-iodine) salt, and a pinch of baking soda. Warm it to approximately body temperature (warm but not hot). Then fill the bulb syringe, insert the tip into your nostril, and aim at the back of your head. Blow nose. Repeat until you're cleared out.

Really, really helps.

huh, that's interesting what you say about the baking soda, is that to temper the kosher salt?

I use those little salt packets that are made for the neti pot.

Thinking of the waste of all that packaging, when I ran out of those, I tried some kosher salt. Burned really bad.
So, I bought more packets.
I guess the baking soda helps?

To the OP, it shouldn't make you feel like you've been punched in the nose. It should feel like anything really. Maybe a little pressure in your sinuses.

If it's running down your face, I think you're not tilting your head sideways enough.

As far as prep time, it's just running the sink util the waters gets warmish, and pouring it on top of the bit of salt in the pot. Takes 5 seconds.

Before doing it for the first time, I watched some youtube videos. Some seemed to make it more complicated than it is.

When I watched this one, I knew it was no biggie, and just did it.

BTW, I blow my nose before doing the other side.

chai2

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 02:24 pm
question, did you try to "breathe" the water in, or did you just let it flow naturally, using it's own gravity?

Yeah, breathing it in would feel like getting punched in the nose.

Look, I'm the type of person who can't go underwater in the pool without coming up coughing, snorting and burning. If I can neti, anyone can.

No, I guess you can't do it in the hallway for 10 seconds...how about some vicks vapo rub?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 02:25 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

huh, that's interesting what you say about the baking soda, is that to temper the kosher salt?

Yep, the baking soda makes the saline solution "softer" (less harsh on the nasal membranes).

Quote:
I use those little salt packets that are made for the neti pot.

I don't think it matters that the salt is kosher per se, just that it doesn't have any iodine in it (that hurts/ is damaging). Kosher salt doesn't have iodine but can usually be found in regular grocery stores.

Yeah, I buy a new bulb syringe every once in a while but other than that it's easy and cheap to make the solution at home. I have a pyrex measuring cup and I just put the water in there, warm up, add the teaspoon of kosher salt and pinch of baking soda, stir, and if we both need it divide it into two cups for use, if only one of us needs it, use that same container for the bulb syringe part.

I wish every medical problem was so cheaply and easily solved. (I just know I'm asking for a sinus infection with all this unseemly crowing about it being past tense. It's allergy season and everything too. Hopefully this disclaimer will ward off the evil eye.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 03:31 pm
@Sinusvictim,
Sinusvictim wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion.

The first time I had used it I had put more water in my nose than I should have. The sensation was almost like someone punching me in the nose.

I hear you! To me, it has always sounded much like a do-it-yourself waterboarding treatment.
chai2

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 04:39 pm
@roger,
Rolling Eyes

nooooo....

not if you do it right. duh
roger

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 06:12 pm
@chai2,
Never tried either one. Not sure I want to.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2011 06:28 pm
@roger,
Lucky person that I am, I've never had a 'sinus condition', though I have had strong vasomotor rhinitis/allergy and asthma. I've grown convinced about neti pots and bulb syringes (more re those) from my reading but can't say personally.
I can understand initial reluctance though.
Roger, your waterboarding comment was funny..
0 Replies

MarkMM

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 11:13 pm
@Sinusvictim,
Hi,

One of the participants mentioned using salt (Sodium Chloride) and Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) for the Neti-Pot.

May I suggest different ingredients.

Sodium Chlorite: Sodium Chlorite and Sodium Chloride (common salt) have microbe inhibiting properties. Sodium Chlorite which is better than Sodium Chloride in inhibiting microbes. Sodium Chlorite is added to packaged meat because of its ability to inhibit bacterial growth.

Lactic Acid: Maintain the ph of the solution to slightly acidic levels.

Chlorine Dioxide: it is shown to kill a wide range of microorganisms including bacteria, viruses, spores, yeast, fungus, slime colonies, etc. When the Sodium Chlorite is acidified (hence the lactic acid), it produces Chlorine Dioxide.

Sodium Carbonate: Sodium Carbonate is better than Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda), which tends to be more irritating to the sinuses. The buildup of mucus puts pressure on the sinus cavity wall which causes pain. When acidified, Sodium Carbonate helps loosen persistent mucus, thereby relieving the pressure on the sinus cavity wall and reducing pain.

Hope this helps.

Mark.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 11:24 pm
Chlorine dioxide can be very hard on the stomach, creating nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.
It is critical, VERY CRITICAL to build-up to therapeutic doses!!!

Chlorine dioxide is used primarily (>95%) for bleaching of wood pulp, but is also used for the bleaching of flour and for the disinfection of municipal drinking water. The Niagara Falls, New York water treatment plant first used chlorine dioxide for drinking water treatment in 1944 for phenol destruction.