Bonds Convicted

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 10:39 am
@Linkat,
Childish reactions don't bother me; I just consider the source.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 03:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
How does your harsh view of Bonds' use of an illegal drug reconcile with your own admitted use of illegal drugs?

I don't get it at all. If people want to do weird **** to their bodies they should be able to do it. Steroids should be legal.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 03:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
None of this was a mistake or accident on his part. He purposefully enacted a plan to cheat the game by using illegal means, and then he lied to cover it up. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever and I hope that he does go to prison for it.

Serious? Should you go to prison for smoking pot? You are awful self-righteous about illegal drugs for someone who uses illegal drugs.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 03:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
None of this was a mistake or accident on his part. He purposefully enacted a plan to cheat the game by using illegal means, and then he lied to cover it up. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever and I hope that he does go to prison for it.

Serious? Should you go to prison for smoking pot? You are awful self-righteous about illegal drugs for someone who uses illegal drugs.

If I'm caught smoking pot, I deserve to be fined for it (the penalty in my jurisdiction is a fine). If I'm caught distributing pot (which I don't do), I deserve to be sent to jail or probation for doing so. If I lie to investigators about it, I deserve to be punished for that as well.

I partake in the drug with full consciousness of the consequences of my actions, and I don't intend to fight those consequences should such a situation arise. So, yeah. Your criticisms fall flat here. I don't agree that it should be illegal. But I also don't pretend that I am above the law - as some seem to believe that Bonds is or should be.

Quote:
Steroids should be legal.

No, they absolutely shouldn't be. Have you ever known someone who has had a problem with steroid abuse? I did and it was horrible, horrible. Comparing it to pot is a bad joke.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 03:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Well that's convenient. You get to use your illegal drug which should be legal but his illegal drug shouldn't be.

I find that silly and self-righteous but that is certainly your prerogative.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 03:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Well that's convenient. You get to use your illegal drug which should be legal but his illegal drug shouldn't be.

That's because my illegal drug doesn't harm anyone, not even myself, whereas you can't say the same thing about his. That's a significant difference - not only morally, but legally as well.

Quote:
I find that silly and self-righteous but that is certainly your prerogative.

There's nothing either silly or self-righteous about it. I should also point out that the object of my drug use isn't to cheat other people at my work, increase my performance and therefore my pay - which is exactly why Bonds was doing it. The two cases simply aren't comparable. But, don't let that stop ya from getting indignant about it.

You didn't answer my question re: whether you've ever had experience with a steroid abuser. Look into it. It's not a pretty thing.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 03:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
That's because my illegal drug doesn't harm anyone, not even myself, whereas you can't say the same thing about his. That's a significant difference - not only morally, but legally as well.

Smoking pot is bad for you (on some level), eating junk food is bad for you, there is tons of perfectly legal things that are bad for you and just because steroids are bad for you doesn't mean it should be legal by my world view. Euthanasia is bad for your health but I think it should be legal too.

Quote:
There's nothing either silly or self-righteous about it.

I guess we should agree to disagree.

Quote:
But, don't let that stop ya from getting indignant about it.

I'm not angry, just surprised that an illegal drug user would be that self-righteous about another illegal drug user getting caught.

Quote:
You didn't answer my question re: whether you've ever had experience with a steroid abuser. Look into it. It's not a pretty thing.

I didn't answer because it wasn't a relevant question to either your argument or mine. But if it matters that much to you, yes I have known steroid abusers, and other drug abusers and that still does not want to make me want to try to control how others live their lives.

Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sin" is invented nonsense. Hurting yourself unnecessarily is not sinful, just stupid.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 03:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It's stupid to observe others abuse themselves, but often times, it's beyond their own control. Over-eating, taking illegal drugs, alcoholism, and other forms of self-abuse.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 04:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sin" is invented nonsense. Hurting yourself unnecessarily is not sinful, just stupid.

That's a great distillation of an argument for changing the law. And I'm not closed to such an argument. But while the laws stand on the books, those who break the law deserve to be punished for doing so, and those who lie to investigators cannot expect to escape punishment for it.

On a moral level, I have not much sympathy for oathbreakers. No matter what else he did, it was wrong to lie to investigators after swearing not to.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 04:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, You're one of the greatest advocates and supporter of Obama. He has lied many times to the American people and to the world.

Did he break an oath, or did he break any (ethical) laws?

Which is more important; legal or ethical?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 04:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Cyclo, You're one of the greatest advocates and supporter of Obama. He has lied many times to the American people and to the world.

Debatable, but let's stipulate that from time to time he has lied. He IS a human, and what more, a Politician, so I'm sure he has.

Quote:
Did he break an oath, or did he break any (ethical) laws?

It's unethical to lie, so he's probably guilty of that. I don't know if he has lied under oath; I highly doubt it.

Quote:
Which is more important; legal or ethical?

Depends on how much trouble one is in :lol;

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 04:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm just surprised by your authoritarianism and its conflation with illegal drugs, they are odd bed fellows. You say he broke laws and "deserves" punishment but that you don't only because you haven't gotten caught. It's a curious distinction to me to get haughty about.

Sure, he broke the law but saying that lying about it is the real issue and that you can break the law as long as you won't lie about it a similar eventuality (and we'll just have to trust that self-image) seems unlike what I had thought your personal politics to be and I personally don't think it is the government's business. But if you think that those who lie about steroid use deserve the full brunt of the law then so be it. I just find that a very odd position from a liberal pot smoker is what I'm saying.

I don't think I should be punished for using illegal drugs, and that is why I don't think he should be. I do not think we should be spending our time and money to try to control this level of people's lives.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 04:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You say "he's only human," but he's also the president of our country. When he lies, people get killed. When he said the US will not have ground troops on the ground, and provide only logistical support role, but uses our planes to bomb Libyans, that goes bey0nd "he's only human."
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 04:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I don't think I should be punished for using illegal drugs, and that is why I don't think he should be. I do not think we should be spending our time and money to try to control this level of people's lives.
That is an extremely radical statement to make in todays moral crusading police state environment...are you sure you said what you mean here?
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 05:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't think it's all that radical. The tension between authority and liberty is nothing new. You just think we are on a slippery slope because you are pessimistically inclined and that fits your way of seeing time and memories. I am an optimist and this makes me see things very differently (e.g. fundamentally you see things as getting worse while I see things as getting better).

My dad was a hippy and probably though his anti-authoritarianism was "radical" and "far out" too but the same tension is in every generation. Some want to control how others behave, others object to having their behavior controlled.

This is no revolution hawkeye, and you aren't a revolutionary either. You are just deeply individualistic, like so many of us all.

"We don't need no thought control....
Hey, teacher! Leave those kids alone."
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The broad assault upon individual rights and the deviance from the fidelity to the principles of fairness over the last decades are obvious to the casual observer, and can be documented in stats. You are in this post vary out of step with reason and reality, your claim that nothing has changed does not pass the smell test.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I'm just surprised by your authoritarianism and its conflation with illegal drugs, they are odd bed fellows. You say he broke laws and "deserves" punishment but that you don't only because you haven't gotten caught. It's a curious distinction to me to get haughty about.

Who is haughty? Not I. I'm allowed to have a goddamn opinion on the matter without it being portrayed as a character failing by you, especially as there is no real disagreement between us that he broke the law multiple times and was caught doing so.

Quote:
Sure, he broke the law but saying that lying about it is the real issue -

The real issue that he used an illegal drug to cheat at his job. His actions did deep and lasting damage to the sport. I wish he had been convicted of that, but the jury disagreed. He then proceeded to lie about it. Why shouldn't he be held liable for that as well?

Quote:
- and that you can break the law as long as you won't lie about it a similar eventuality (and we'll just have to trust that self-image) seems unlike what I had thought your personal politics to be and I personally don't think it is the government's business.

I don't think it's the governments' business either. However, there's no conflict between that position and the position that you should follow the laws on the books or be prepared to face the consequences for doing so.

If Bonds, when confronted during the BALCO investigation, had come clean and said, 'yeah, I used performance enhancing drugs. Everyone in baseball is doing it (which is/was somewhat true). It's none of your business what I do, in my opinion... '; well, that would be one thing. But he wasn't honest. He lied the entire time and got caught doing so, because he didn't want to be revealed as a cheater. His position, from start to finish, was entirely and totally morally bankrupt. Why shouldn't he be punished for that? Why should I feel bad that he will be?

Quote:
But if you think that those who lie about steroid use deserve the full brunt of the law then so be it. I just find that a very odd position from a liberal pot smoker is what I'm saying.

Every time we break the law, we make a calculated decision: is the benefit I gain from this action greater than the trouble I will get in for being caught? In a lot of minor cases, the answer is the benefit does indeed outweigh the cost: minor speeding. Jaywalking. smoking a ciggie in a no-smoking zone.

And there's nothing wrong with taking these actions, if you are willing to pay the price for getting caught. It's not morally wrong to speed by 5 or 10 miles an hour on the freeway. But you ought to own up to your actions afterward. In my case, I have no problem owning up to my actions, because the penalty is minimal: a hundred dollar ticket. Not a problem. When I visit areas that have an unacceptable penalty for doing drugs, I don't do them.

I'm not morally superior to others because of my behavior or opinion; my actions are based on prudence and calculation. I should add that I don't believe in cheating or lying to get ahead in life, however, so there are some small differences.

Quote:

That is an excellent position to take, but it's not incompatible with the opinion that one ought to respect the laws on the books.

Cycloptichorn
electronicmail

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 08:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It's stupid to observe others abuse themselves, but often times, it's beyond their own control. Over-eating, taking illegal drugs, alcoholism, and other forms of self-abuse.

I don't think it's beyond their control. I know it's beyond our control.

I believe all drugs should be legal. I didn't even know there's an addiction to steroids but I've seen plenty of alcoholics and heroin addicts and obese people who won't stop using what's killing them.

What should we do about it, outlaw chocolate cream cakes? They're legal and they're cheap. They probably kill more people than heroin and for sure they kill more people than anabolic steroids.

There's $$$$$$ to thin supermodels snorting coke to stop eating and there's $$$$$$ to Bonds for building up muscle and beating records. You think we should prosecute the supermodels too?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 09:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Who is haughty? Not I. I'm allowed to have a goddamn opinion on the matter without it being portrayed as a character failing by you, especially as there is no real disagreement between us that he broke the law multiple times and was caught doing so.

I didn't say you weren't allowed to have an opinion. I'm just expressing my non-dammed opinion myself. <shrugs>

Quote:
The real issue that he used an illegal drug to cheat at his job. His actions did deep and lasting damage to the sport.

That might be the main issue to you, but it certainly can't be the issue to the government. The government's job isn't to enforce the rules of baseball.

Quote:
I don't think it's the governments' business either. However, there's no conflict between that position and the position that you should follow the laws on the books or be prepared to face the consequences for doing so.

You don't change the law, you break it. Your claiming moral high ground for just being "prepared" to face the consequences but I don't see any real qualitative difference other than he got caught and you didn't.

I personally don't think he's obliged to not try to mitigate his punishment and if he is punished I don't know what exactly "being prepared" for that means or counts for.

Ultimately you are saying he is bad because he got caught and then lied about it and that you, breaking a similar law, are not as bad because you wouldn't lie about it and are more prepared to face the consequences and I think that is moralizing over his misfortune and your comparative lack of it.

Quote:
If Bonds, when confronted during the BALCO investigation, had come clean and said, 'yeah, I used performance enhancing drugs. Everyone in baseball is doing it (which is/was somewhat true). It's none of your business what I do, in my opinion... '; well, that would be one thing. But he wasn't honest.

I understand. We don't disagree that he lied, or that lying is bad but you seem to selectively care about lying. When Bill Clinton lied you didn't want him to go to jail.

Bill Clinton has also lied about taking illegal drugs too. I don't think your moralizing is consistent with either your own illegal drug use or any of the other reasons you are using to judge Bonds.

Quote:
He lied the entire time and got caught doing so, because he didn't want to be revealed as a cheater. His position, from start to finish, was entirely and totally morally bankrupt. Why shouldn't he be punished for that? Why should I feel bad that he will be?

I think you should feel what you like. Why should I not feel that it is untoward if I want?

As I said, I was just surprised at how authoritarian you are about illegal drugs as a fellow illegal drug user. I certainly think your opinion is your prerogative and never said any differently. I just criticized it. That doesn't mean I think you shouldn't have your opinions, it just means I don't agree with them.

Quote:
Every time we break the law, we make a calculated decision: is the benefit I gain from this action greater than the trouble I will get in for being caught? In a lot of minor cases, the answer is the benefit does indeed outweigh the cost: minor speeding. Jaywalking. smoking a ciggie in a no-smoking zone.

And there's nothing wrong with taking these actions, if you are willing to pay the price for getting caught. It's not morally wrong to speed by 5 or 10 miles an hour on the freeway. But you ought to own up to your actions afterward. In my case, I have no problem owning up to my actions, because the penalty is minimal: a hundred dollar ticket. Not a problem. When I visit areas that have an unacceptable penalty for doing drugs, I don't do them.

I think cost/risk analysis is a good idea. I don't think it is a moral issue though (for example I don't think that someone who has not done so is wrong, just perhaps stupid).

Quote:
That is an excellent position to take, but it's not incompatible with the opinion that one ought to respect the laws on the books.

At some level the notion that all laws must be obeyed and you should just work to change them is noble and at some level it's just silly.

It wouldn't be that hard for you to think of recent laws in your country that you think were right to be disobeyed civilly as the very means to get them off the books.

For example, you say that he "deserves" legal punishment because of this disrespect of the law. But would you really always say the same? For example it used to be illegal for someone to not return a fugitive slave or to help them. Do you think that fugitive slaves and those who helped them "deserved" their punishments and should have just worked to get the laws off the books and respected them while they were there?

If so it's a pretty drastic rule of law position but it would be consistent, but if not then you are ultimately deciding that some laws must be respected and that others must not.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 10:30 pm
Cyclops said:

Quote:
That's because my illegal drug doesn't harm anyone, not even myself, whereas you can't say the same thing about his.

As a former user of illegal drugs of which pot was one, and as someone who has long experience both experientially and academically with a lot of different aspects and intensities of substance abuse, I find that statement as another example of your tendency of late to make broad unqualified statements as if they are empirical fact.

In other words, just how the **** can you say with conviction that pot doesn't harm anyone?