Vaccines for children

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 08:14 pm
Does a Parent have the right to deny thier child vaccines?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,026 • Replies: 41

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 08:42 pm
@Carla R Green,
Yes. I'm baffled as to why someone would do so, since the original study linking vaccines to autism has been found to have been fabricated.

You should advise other parents, though, so that they have full information on protecting their children from deadly diseases.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 09:03 pm
@Carla R Green,
School age children might be required to provide a record of immunization signed by their doctor or a health clinic -- depending upon the school. Similarly, a note from a doctor or health provider might also be required if you've chosen to exempt your child from the required vaccinations.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 12:04 am
@Carla R Green,
Sure but when the child contacts measles or some other preventable disease and go blind or worse, it's my hope these children or an advocate will sue on their behalf for the damages caused by neglect and will ruin these parents in kind or in the same manner as they've done to the child.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 12:52 am
Can a child that has not been immuniised harm children who have been imunised?

I believe the answer to that is no.
That does not abrogate parents of their responsibilty to protect their own children by immunising.
It only takes two kids in a community to not be imunised and a problem results.
there are many adults from migrant populations within our community that have not been immunised who would also be at risk.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 06:16 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
Can a child that has not been immuniised harm children who have been imunised?

Chickenpox can still be contracted by people who have been vaccinated. And they're contagious, too. So they could then pass it on to someone who is more at risk for severe complications.

Not vaccinating definitely provides a vector, so it is a risk factor both for the child that is not immunized and for anyone to whom the child might spread disease.

And you can't simply assume that other kids are getting immunized. Modern society is too mobile, for one. Kids come from all over the world, and maybe from places where polio, or some other crippling disease, is much more prevalent. And if one person is thinking about not getting vaccines, then you can bet that other people are thinking about not getting immunized.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 06:18 am
@Carla R Green,
Also, in some states vaccinations are required for children to be able to attend child care or enroll in school.

http://www.homedaleschools.org/departments/docs/immunization_q&a.pdf
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 08:19 am
@Carla R Green,
Yes - but it is dumb - unless of course there is some underlying medical reason not to - most of the "required" vaccines have been around long enough to know the side effects and most of these vaccines are for things that are quite serious.

I do always ask the questions though, what are the side effects, how often do they occur, how long has the vaccine been around/history/etc.

And these children that do not get vaccines often times will not be allowed in schools.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:14 am
It's irresponsible to have your child NOT immunized, but luckily the schools
require certain immunizations nowadays and force parents to act.
My daughter is in high school now and for the new school year in September the school requires all students to have a booster shot for pertussis (whooping cough).
Green Witch

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:20 am
I agree with everyone here. I have a number of friends who did not vaccinate. One of them traveled with her family to India where her 9 year old son contracted whopping cough, suffered greatly and almost died. All three of her children are now vaccinated. There's a reason we don't see polio and small pox America - it's because children were vaccinated.
Irishk

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:22 am
@CalamityJane,
I'd imagine California allows exemptions based on religious objections or in the cases of the small percentage of children who are at risk (intolerant of the vaccine).
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:39 am
@Irishk,
No, Irishk, no exemptions, at least not in the schools my daughter has visited - first a private catholic school, then a German school and now public high school. They all have parents comply with immunization requirements. The school usually sends home a notice stipulating that all students who are not immunized will be sent home again.
Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 09:53 am
Very timely conviction - not in the sense of vaccines, but similar:

"Mother convicted of attempted murder for withholding cancer meds from son"

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2011/04/jury_in_kristen.html
Irishk

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:12 am
@CalamityJane,
California's public school system (I haven't checked all the other states, but imagine it pertains to them as well) grants exemption from their immunization requirements in only two cases...

1) Personal belief
2) Physician's orders

Private schools can probably handle it any way they choose.

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:28 am
@Carla R Green,
Carla R Green wrote:

Does a Parent have the right to deny thier child vaccines?

If the parent can prove that the child will harmed by the vaccination, they have the right to prohibit their child from being vaccinated. The difficulty may be in proving a harmful effect of the vaccine.

I don't believe the final word on autism v vaccination is out yet.
Miller

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:31 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

- most of the "required" vaccines have been around long enough to know the side effects .

Yes, they have been around for a long time. However, the forumulations have changed for many of them.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:32 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

I agree with everyone here. I have a number of friends who did not vaccinate. One of them traveled with her family to India where her 9 year old son contracted whopping cough, suffered greatly and almost died. All three of her children are now vaccinated. There's a reason we don't see polio and small pox America - it's because children were vaccinated.

Very true. However, what do we now see in 2011 and the past 20 years that are new and have unknow causes?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:33 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

No, Irishk, no exemptions, at least not in the schools my daughter has visited - first a private catholic school, then a German school and now public high school. They all have parents comply with immunization requirements. The school usually sends home a notice stipulating that all students who are not immunized will be sent home again.

What about the Christian Scientists?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:34 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

"Mother convicted of attempted murder for withholding cancer meds from son"

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2011/04/jury_in_kristen.html

What about the father of the dead boy? I hold him responsible for not steppin up to the plate in the care of his ill son. But he's free...
Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:35 am
@Miller,
He was actually the one fighting the mom - and the dad died in an accident I believe during this process.
0 Replies