"In future" vs "In the future"

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 09:11 pm
Is there any difference between "In future" and "In the future"?

I was taught that the former is BrE and the latter AmE. Is it correct?

Thanks.

roger

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 09:51 pm
@tanguatlay,
Could be. This American would say "In the future". I've no idea what a Brit would say, but they both probably mean the same.
0 Replies

MommyAnt

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 01:31 am
Yap I think Roger might be correct, we use Bri English in Singapore, n we tend to say "In future".
roger

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 01:47 am
@MommyAnt,
Oh, good! I'm always glad to see new members get into a wider range of subjects.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 03:32 am
I agree with Roger and MommyAnt, and you, that the former is British and the latter American usage.
tanguatlay

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 03:43 am
@Setanta,
Many thanks to all of you for your help.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 05:26 am
@Setanta,

There is a wee difference in the usage, to wit:

In future, mind your manners: (from now on)

In the future, we will all grow a new set of teeth. (at some stage in the distant future)
contrex

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:47 am
@McTag,
McTag has captured the difference, I believe.

In the future, we will travel in flying cars, wear paper clothes, robots will do all the manual work, and have weird names with numbers in them like JimSmith9987.

"In future, drive more carefully!" said the traffic policeman.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:51 am
@McTag,
Good to see the perceptive ole McTag is back.

I don't think that this is simply a US/UK divide. 'in future' is used in the US but I suspect that, and I believe it would be the same in the UK, 'in the future' is more common.
McTag

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 02:29 pm
@JTT,

Reluctant though I am to disagree with JTT, "in future" is much more commonly used in the UK than "in the future" imho.
JTT

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 03:26 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
"in future" is much more commonly used in the UK than "in the future" imho.

I accept your opinion as an honest one, McTag.

I just have one minor question. Given the distinction you noted/you have noted, and I, myself, have certainly seen this - my first thoughts were that the use of "in future" most often came tied to an admonition, which your example also pointed to,

In future, mind your manners,

whereas 'in the future' seems more for normal neutral situations,

In the future, we'll all drive electric cars.

I'm not saying that one couldn't use 'in future' in the sentence immediately above.

So my question is, wouldn't you think that the normal neutral use would outnumber the admonition use or are you now of the opinion that the distinction you made isn't rigorously followed or that that distinction doesn't exist?

Remember, I too, think that that distinction exists and yet my comment above, and subsequent thinking make me doubt my initial idea.

contrex

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 04:00 pm
@JTT,
"In future" seems to be used in situations involving a break of some kind with the past, whether expected, predicted, hoped for, promised or demanded.

Following an accident at their factory, ABC Chemicals Ltd have announced changes in their safety procedures. In future, all visitors will be required to leave matches and lighters at the gate.

"In future I will be more careful" said Joe Bloggs after he broke his ankle skating when drunk.

JTT

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 05:42 pm
@contrex,
Excellent points, Contrex.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 07:08 am
@JTT,

Quote:
I accept your opinion as an honest one, McTag.

Well that's mighty nice of you.
As with all my opinions (leaving aside the attempts at humour) you can take that to the bank.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 07:45 am
@JTT,

Quote:
I just have one minor question. Given the distinction you noted/you have noted, and I, myself, have certainly seen this - my first thoughts were that the use of "in future" most often came tied to an admonition, which your example also pointed to,

In future, mind your manners,
whereas 'in the future' seems more for normal neutral situations:
In the future, we'll all drive electric cars.
I'm not saying that one couldn't use 'in future' in the sentence immediately above.
So my question is, wouldn't you think that the normal neutral use would outnumber the admonition use or are you now of the opinion that the distinction you made isn't rigorously followed or that that distinction doesn't exist?
Remember, I too, think that that distinction exists and yet my comment above, and subsequent thinking make me doubt my initial idea.

Well now, where to go with this one?
I think the whole thing is a bit subjective, but here's my take on it.

I would expect the "in future" phrase to be used in admonition, as already seen, or in the sense of "having learned a lesson":

Examples
In future, I'll not go out on the moors without a map and a compass.
In future, I won't buy cheap boots.
It would be better, in future, not to put all your eggs in one basket.

The phrase "in the future" seems to me to be leading to a prediction, which will not happen soon. It refers to a separate time.
As I already remarked, I think "from now on" is a good replacement for the former. There is an implied continuity of time, which is not the case for "in the future".

contrex

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 09:05 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I would expect the "in future" phrase to be used in admonition, as already seen, or in the sense of "having learned a lesson":

Examples
In future, I'll not go out on the moors without a map and a compass.
In future, I won't buy cheap boots.
It would be better, in future, not to put all your eggs in one basket.

I don't know if all the uses of "in future" that are possible involve admonition or changes from lessons learned, although very often there is an element of improvement, change being the keyword. Often we can substitute "from now on".

The Department of Vehicle Records has gone over to paperless applications. In future, all new vehicle registrations will be done online.

0 Replies