Do you talk to yourself aloud on your own?

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 08:53 am
When I am thinking about about something, and when I want to articulate it properly, I will say it to myself aloud, as I think about it and then as I write it. I imagine that people may not want to do this however, for fear of being thought of as insane-talking to oneself is generally considered to be a sign of madness.

I was just wondering if anyone on A2K does the same thing, in the process of thinking and writing, partly because I want to make sure I'm not the only who does it, becuase then I will probably think of myself as insane. Wink
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 2,677 • Replies: 28

dadpad

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:02 am
Yep I occasionally do this.
It certainly improves concentration. I used to manage a drycleaning store. when piecing orderes together it as not incomment for an article with the number (say) 8657 to be plced on the order for 8675. I taught mu staff to say the number on each garment out loud when piecing up. It reduced mistakes 10 fold.

If reading a difficult to understand technical article or concept I often articulate it. This seems to assists me to understand it.

when getting set for a public speaking engagement i find it well worth while to practice what I am going to say out loud.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:02 am
@existential potential,
I talk out loud to myself. I helps me think.

Occasionally I will do this accidentally at work, but people there already think I am a little crazy.
existential potential

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:06 am
@maxdancona,
I agree, and its a way making clear your own understanding of a difficult idea or concept.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:37 am
@dadpad,
I have an ancestor who passed away 1906. So I have never met him, but I know he was very interested in technical things.
When I have to figure out something technical which I do not understand myself I kind of whisper - not talking loudly - to him what it is all about and by explaining to him how it works I usually can figure it out myself. It gets to be questions and answers. Guess I feel less stupid when "he" asks the questions instead of me asking myself things I ought to know.
I am not crazy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:39 am
Yes I do. We, teachers, tell our students to proof read by reading their writing out loud. Even the writers with the hardest to navigate disabilities can catch a lot of mistakes that way.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:41 am
almost all the time
Ceili

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:48 am
I like the answers I get.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:50 am
Yes I occassionally talk out loud to myslef. Not necessarily loudly (I hope), I think almost everybody does, some just don't admit it. I do not have whole conversations with myself unless I am being sarcastic, as in a situation where you hold a door open to let the person behind you avoid having a door slammed in their face, if they breeze thru as if I am their personal doorman without any acknowledgement of the courtesy, I have been known to state "Oh you are so welcome, it was an honor", "No please don't thank me, I have become accustomed to discourteous behaviour".
jespah

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 10:12 am
We should all get together (I do this, too). Perhaps the hoi polloi will think we look (slightly) less insane.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 11:54 am
Yep. I do.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:43 pm
@djjd62,
actually i talk aloud to myself around people as well, if i'm being honest
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:50 pm
@existential potential,
Sure. Who else would have the smarts to understand me?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 02:44 pm
Me, too.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 04:27 pm
Yes, I talk out loud to myself. But not to help me remember or understand. Those things go on quietly in my head. I'm usually telling myself to do something--or not to do something. Sometimes in the middle of doing something, I tell myself that I'm doing it.

Sigh. Nuttier by the second.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 04:39 pm
Decades ago I used to do radio, and you pretty much had to do your thinking aloud then--would have been really boring to the listeners if you kept everything quiet. I don't do that anymore, and I work around people who don't talk aloud, except for one woman who listens to MP3s of Spanish songs through headphones and occasionally forgets and starts singing very LOUDLY, but I find for some reason it helps me work something out when I hit something knotty, , and it's reassuring to know I'm not alone.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 03:37 pm
Last week I said to my computer "Oh be quiet! You don't know everything!"

Miller

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 03:52 pm
@existential potential,
existential potential wrote:

When I am thinking about about something, and when I want to articulate it properly, I will say it to myself aloud, as I think about it and then as I write it. I imagine that people may not want to do this however, for fear of being thought of as insane-talking to oneself is generally considered to be a sign of madness.

I was just wondering if anyone on A2K does the same thing, in the process of thinking and writing, partly because I want to make sure I'm not the only who does it, becuase then I will probably think of myself as insane. Wink

I don't think you're insane. Most people, I think do talk to themselves because it helps to clarify some material, otherwise very complicated.
existential potential

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 03:31 am
@Miller,
Yeah I think your right; it certainly does help with one's understanding of complex material. It also makes tackling difficult ideas more fun, because it becomes more engaging, discussing the ideas with yourself, rather than simply passively absorbing them.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 04:44 am
@chai2,
Did it respond?
0 Replies