Should prisoners have the right to vote?

spendius

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 03:07 pm
@CalamityJane,
The EU doesn't think prisoners have forfeited that right. Probably China and North Korea think otherwise.

I don't think it is an issue that will have any effects on the power structure and it's a magnanimous gesture in the direction of human rights with the added advantage of providing a new siding in the gravy train with a consequent reduction in unemployment and an expansion of the public sector.

One can hardly say it's a big deal although it has turned out a handy issue to discover the soft underbelly of the average liberal.

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 04:32 pm
@spendius,
Funny you should mention this, spendius: isn't the UK government trying to overturn the European Court of Human Rights’ ruling in Hirst No. 2 ?

Quote:
MPs have overwhelmingly voted to keep the ban on prisoners voting, in defiance of a ruling by the European Court of Human Rights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12409426
farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 05:24 pm
@CalamityJane,
48 of our states hqave disenfranchisment of felons WHILE IN JAIL. Only 2 states (Ky and VA) have a lifetime disenfranchisement for felons. Ats about what I like.
spendius

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 05:25 pm
@CalamityJane,
A PR stunt.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 05:47 pm
@farmerman,
Which one do you like, farmerman? lifetime disenfranchisement or only while in jail?

@spendius, I think not, especially since an overwhelming majority voted
for it.
spendius

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 03:54 am
@CalamityJane,
There are 650 members. So 416 didn't vote for.

You have read your link I presume. It was a PR stunt. They can all go back to their constituents and say "It wasn't me--it's those Euro madmen."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 03:59 am
@CalamityJane,
I was speaking about disenfranchiselement while in jail only (The title says "prisoners" so I assumed that was the direction we were being asked of). I think that, because of your very concerns re: the huge prison load weve got, several large prisons "Super max's" would be the only sizeable population of an election district and the prisoners could vote themselves their own government.
Once a felon is dischraged (Theoretically in a pwerfect world) He has supposedly paid his debt and shouldnt be disenfranchised. I dont agree with Va or Ky "lifetime disenfranchisement" , although, Id like to see some statistics re ex cons and their civc dooties.
spendius

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 05:51 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
the huge prison load weve got, several large prisons "Super max's" would be the only sizeable population of an election district and the prisoners could vote themselves their own government.

That's easily dealt with.
farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 06:11 am
@spendius,
Its most easily dealt with by "disenfranchisement by lockup". It works pretty well in the states.
spendius

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 08:39 am
@farmerman,
But then there's a loss of credibility when castigating the human rights record of others. You vacate the moral high ground. Some liberal you are.

Thomas Mooney, an American union leader, was over 20 years in San Quentin and then pardoned. One judge was sending people to jail for minor offences because his mates owned the jail. Plus the fact that many prisoners are wrongly convicted. The US doesn't qualify for membership of the EEC because it persists in the barbarity of capital punishment. Russia has not executed anybody since 1996.

You're a rabid Republican are you fm? You sound like it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 09:00 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
I don't see it as criminals paying any kind of debt to society - it's a punishment, plain and simple, and when you're punished, you lose certain privileges, voting being one of them, walking about free is another.

If you want to punish someone, you don't take their vote away, you force them to vote.
djjd62

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 09:02 am
@joefromchicago,
Very Happy
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:12 am
@joefromchicago,
Good point! Very Happy
0 Replies