Is a Clot Far-fetched?

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 12:14 pm
I was diagnosed last winter with Supraventricular Tachycardia. I was offered beta blockers to help counteract the symptoms, but I decided not to take them unless my symptoms worsen. I frequently have short breath, loss of vision, weakness, a general shaky feeling, and occassional pain in the left side of my chest. I can manage it fairly well, although this last Sunday I had a new experience.

I was sitting in the backseat of a friend's car and had done nothing strenuous prior. I wasn't stressed. I was looking out of the window when I had a stabbing chest pain, which at first seemed normal because I get them from time to time. However, this pain radiated in a line down and to the right of my heart, and also up my chest, the back of my neck, to the pressure point behind my left ear. The pain was so powerful it made my ear canal hurt and I literally couldn't move without it worsening. It lasted for definitely over a minute before the pain in my chest subsided. The pain in and behind my ear remained for a couple minutes and slowly went away.

My mother mentioned it could have been a clot that broke up on its own. I have no family history of clots and I had an EKG several months ago. I was also on a heart monitor that showed no sign of clots or any similar problem. I don't drink and I don't do drugs. The only thing that's wrong that I know of is my SVT. Is this common with SVT and should I be worried? A one time thing? It's now Thursday and this hasn't happened since.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,128 • Replies: 22
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 12:17 pm
@Subliminal0,
I dunno, but that sounds scary. Are you concerned about going to the doctor? It really seems like something that should be checked, and even if the best doctor happened to find this, he or she would need to examine you in person to say anything definitive, I think.
Subliminal0

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 12:31 pm
@sozobe,
I'm more curious than concerned, but I do plan on making an appointment with my local doctor sometime soon to discuss it in person. I just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about it before I get an appointment. Thanks anyway though.
0 Replies

Subliminal0

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 12:37 pm
@Subliminal0,
http://www.mayoclinic.org/tachycardia/treatment.html

Surprisingly something I was not informed about. Apparently tachycardia has a lot to do with blood clots. I'm setting up an appointment for tomorrow and hopefully I'll have answers soon.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 01:25 pm
@Subliminal0,
Base on my life-threatening blood clot event nearly two years ago, your doctor should begin with a Doppler test to learn if you have blood clots. If there are some, you should have a Cat scan ASAP. ---BBB

What is CT Scanning of the Body?

CT scanning—sometimes called CAT scanning—is a noninvasive medical test that helps physicians diagnose and treat medical conditions.

CT scanning combines special x-ray equipment with sophisticated computers to produce multiple images or pictures of the inside of the body. These cross-sectional images of the area being studied can then be examined on a computer monitor, printed or transferred to a CD.

CT scans of internal organs, bones, soft tissue and blood vessels provide greater clarity and reveal more details than regular x-ray exams.

Using specialized equipment and expertise to create and interpret CT scans of the body, radiologists can more easily diagnose problems such as cancers, cardiovascular disease, infectious disease, appendicitis, trauma and musculoskeletal disorders.

Subliminal0

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 02:40 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
How does a Doppler test work? If I truly did have a blood clot, I'm not sure how it could be proven now. Perhaps I don't have any currently. I'm not sure if past blood clots that don't affect function can be detected later.

I'm familiar with CT scans. Thanks for your time.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 03:44 pm
@Subliminal0,
The doppler test can see any blood clots in your body.

BBB
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 03:51 pm
@Subliminal0,
Check out this old topic for information around the pulmonary blood clot events that BBB had. There's lots of info there that will be helpful to you:

http://able2know.org/topic/139356-1
Subliminal0

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 10:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
I understand that immobility can cause blood clots. My lifestyle has been the same for a few years and I'm mobile. I'm not completely, or much at all, sold on the blood clot theory for my situation. The only support is my tachycardia, which I've had for years and never had a problem like that. I now have an appointment today at 1 pm so we'll see if my doctor takes me seriously or not.
0 Replies

Subliminal0

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 06:33 pm
@Subliminal0,
Went to the doctor's today. Supposedly chest wall pain [" temporary irritation of the membrane that lines and protects the lungs. This lining is very sensitive to irritation. Most people with benign chest wall pain experience an unexpected, abrupt and sharp pain that interrupts breathing, but then goes away"] from spasms or irritation, and is 'nothing to worry about.' Had chest x-rays taken and everything appeared normal to my doctor. Listened to lungs and heart, which also sounded normal.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 06:48 pm
@Subliminal0,
I have no idea, not qualified.

I'm listening, though.
Subliminal0

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 10:13 pm
@ossobuco,
A listener is always welcomed. Hope all is well with you!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 10:29 pm
@Subliminal0,
Hi, Sub. I don't know what to say.

I've had mostly good medical experiences (and I'm either discerning or pretending to be) and only a few baddies. Still, I've gotten furthest by being aggressive, a few times very valuable that I spoke up.

So. Was the doctor you recently saw - the benign chest pain person - a cardiologist?

(I'm a woman, been through breast cancer and six eye surgeries, still kicking, that pic is of my dog who helped me through it. Now gone, but I like him as an avatar)

Subliminal0

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 10:40 pm
@ossobuco,
I wasn't trying to imply you had to tell me a life story so don't feel pressured; I was just wishing you well. But in any case, I'm glad your proactive about your health.

He's my local doctor who ran the tests to send to a cardiologist, who then diagnosed me with SVT. He's not specialized in knowledge around the heart, or even the respitory system, but he's the best I've got that's close. Like I've said in previous conversations, I live in the middle of nowhere. The closest cardiologist would be about 2 - 2 1/2 hours away. I'm just going to accept it is what he says because I don't want to go through 2 more years of thinking I'm crazy because no one takes me seriously, and also because my parents are far from willing to drive me anywhere for any reason. My father found it enough of an inconvenience for me to be taken 30 minutes away to my doctor as it is. Got to love uneducated, selfish fathers.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 10:41 pm
@ossobuco,
I suppose you should google and probably already have, chest wall pain.

Subliminal0

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 10:46 pm
@ossobuco,
I have googled it [well, yahoo'd it]. The sharp pain and inability to breathe matches, but I'm admittedly far from educated with things like this and I'm sure there are plenty of reasons for chest pain. I just don't understand how I can have random chest pain that then doesn't show for a while. It's like telling me my lung lining randomly gets irritated and then stops a minute later. Kind of hard to believe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 11:09 pm
@ossobuco,
I changed my mind. I don't think that sounds normal. But maybe it is.

but maybe
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 03:51 pm
@Subliminal0,
I'm fine, a little grumpypuss, mostly at myself. Hoping you get a handle on this stuff going on.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 03:54 pm
@ossobuco,
I have to laugh though. After saying that about my dog as my avatar, I just changed it. Part of an a2k roll to have bunnies as avatars as a seasonal change for some who like to play with avatars.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 04:03 pm
@Subliminal0,
I'm not exactly sure how to answer this question without sounding alarmist but if you don't mind a few personal questions.

Do you consider yourself overweight?
Do you or have you ever smoked cigarettes for a long period of your life?

I'll leave the birth control question off the table because I can't remember which type is related to blood clots.