Ironic news story of the day.

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 06:21 pm
Quote:

An emergency drill that was to play out the scenario of an “anti-immigration” pro-gun student going on a racially-motivated shooting spree at an Iowa school has been canceled due to threats, officials said Friday.

“During the last 24 hours, the Treynor school system has received threats to their employees and buildings due to the planned 'active shooter' exercise, " Pottawattamie County officials said in a written statement.

Critics said organizers were clearly using the drill as a way to portray gun owners and opponents of illegal immigration as terrorists

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/25/iowa-safety-drill-portraying-shooter-anti-immigration-pro-gun-student-canceled/

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 06:31 pm
@maxdancona,
Ironic to me in that I figure that kind of thing could give some students ideas.. in the opposite direction.
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 08:17 pm
@ossobuco,
What I object to is the labeling. What is the purpose? Propaganda or safety?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 08:30 pm
Stephen Jay Gould referred to the Immigration Act of 1924 as having been motivated by eugenics.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 06:41 am
@plainoldme,
This story is important because of the current eagerness to portray Muslims as terrorists, and the unwillingness to understand why this might make people uncomfortable.

Of course, it is just as appropriate to to portray a White conservative as a terrorist. The temper tantrum that ensues, including threats of real violence, is interesting.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 07:25 am
@maxdancona,
You're absolutely correct.
0 Replies