PEOPLE I HAVE ON IGNORE

ehBeth

Tue 19 Mar, 2013 04:17 pm
@Ice Demon,
Ice Demon wrote:
Unappealing and a bad business plan for an open forum, in my opinion.

It works nicely on FB
Ice Demon

Tue 19 Mar, 2013 04:31 pm
@ehBeth,
The structure of FB is very different from this site, the way I see it. In my mind, at least, I can't equate a social networking site with a forum. The nature of the two beasts are very different. What may work for one may utterly fail for the other. The way I see it, this site thrives on the differences in opinion and the formulation of new opinions, mainly. It is not really that devoted on a structure that seeks to aid in keeping a daily connection between friends and relatives, as does a social networking site is set up to achieve.
ehBeth

Tue 19 Mar, 2013 04:34 pm
@Ice Demon,
I think I'd like to give blocking a chance here.

I thought it was a pretty dreadful idea when Robert first mentioned it. The longer I thought about it, the more I saw the possibilities.
hawkeye10

Tue 19 Mar, 2013 04:43 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Ice Demon wrote:
Unappealing and a bad business plan for an open forum, in my opinion.

It works nicely on FB

FB is an unproven new fad which may or may not stick around for awhile, open forums on the other hand are as old as the internet and continue to be seen as useful. Becoming a closed social network like Facebook is a risky move.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 19 Mar, 2013 04:45 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I think I'd like to give blocking a chance here.

I thought it was a pretty dreadful idea when Robert first mentioned it. The longer I thought about it, the more I saw the possibilities.

Given human nature is is already predetermined to become an echo chamber. It will not be a place to exchange ideas or to push the boundarys of knowledge.
ehBeth

Tue 19 Mar, 2013 05:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
It will not be a place to exchange ideas or to push the boundarys of knowledge.

The collective advises that you've made an excellent point in support of blocking.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 19 Mar, 2013 05:03 pm
@Ice Demon,
My use of A2K is about 10% of what it once was, as it has becoming increasingly unuseful to my game, which is teasing out truth. I am using my time for reading for now, and when I am ready to test my ideas again I will find some place where that is possible. That will not be A2K.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 19 Mar, 2013 05:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
I do take your point, and Ice Demon's as well. You might note that neither of you are on my ignore list.

I might be even happier with blocking if there were a choice between that and simply using ignore as it exists now. I generally ignore any one that drops in with crossword puzzle and related questions. I don't object to them in any manner; I simply don't want to see them. Every once in a while, one of them will break out into more interesting areas.
hawkeye10

Tue 19 Mar, 2013 05:26 pm
@roger,
I used to think that smart open mindeed people could continue to find value here simply by choosing to not use ignore/block but I have changed my mind.....A2K makes it increasingly clear that open minds and free conversation is not what is wanted here, those of us who value such things will not continue to fight against a host who constantly makes it clear that he does not value such things. Most of the people who are at A2K because there were a lot of smart people here who were willing to talk truth, those who remain which being only a fraction of the number who used to be here, will vacate in short order.
ehBeth

Tue 19 Mar, 2013 05:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Most of the people who are at A2K because there were a lot of smart people here who were willing to talk truth, those who remain which being only a fraction of the number who used to be here, will vacate in short order.

interesting viewpoint, esp. since a couple of folks who've pretty much left A2K have indicated they'd come back if there was a blocking option - so they could discuss things with some feeling of safety

I think it could be a hard call for Robert. I don't know how well groups, here or elsewhere, do.

I do think that I might enjoy the site a lot more if a couple of people never even knew I was here. They're not people I disagree with - I just don't want to bother with them - and I don't want to pretend I'm interested in their posts.
hawkeye10

Tue 19 Mar, 2013 05:50 pm
@ehBeth,
People who feel the need for the boss to offer them crutches for their desire to evade others are not by definition the kind of people that used to be here that made it so valuable. There might be some short term benefit in traffic numbers to be found by pacifiying the weak but it most certainly is not a means to reclaim the glory days. Furthermore Robert is no where near early enough or smart enough to beat Facebook at what they do.

But I am not a member of the A2K koolKids Club so I know nothing of what a polling of the departed has revealed, Robert being not at all a proponent of Sunshine all such information is hidden......this instinctive tendency to close the wagons and work in secrecy being one of the main drivers of the demise of this place.
ehBeth

Tue 19 Mar, 2013 05:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't know of any polling. I just read the posts.

Why does it matter to you anyway? you've already said you're leaving.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 3 Dec, 2013 08:51 am
Mr. Goldman, the ignore button allows you to avoid reading anything posted by the ignored poster. It shows up as "user ignored", and you won't see the comment unless you click on "user ignored" and read it. I seldom check to see what my ignored users post, but occassionally I do, but quickly remember why I have them on ignore. You don't cancel that feature by checking once in a while, you have to look up the ignored poster then change the status .

People don't get a note telling them they are on ignore, so they can read what you post. Who knows, perhaps your love and devotion you lavish on the holy semi-scripture you hammer people about, might show them the way to embrace Jesus as you have. Personally I've admired the patience and Saviour like techniques you use while smiting the unholy. It's not exactly the brand of Christianity I am familiar with, but just think of yourself of angry Jesus, after he lost faith that love, empathy and forgiveness was ever going to work. I'm sure Jesus would have loved it if you were a chosen apostle during his time on earth. Maybe he would have fared better if he had you to dole out the shame and disgust he didn't believe in himself. But you have your mission to complete, so good luck to you in your quest. Pax vobiscum
Romeo Fabulini

Tue 3 Dec, 2013 10:45 am
Jesus never ignored anybody..Wink
He said-"Whoever comes to me I'll never turn away...knock and the door will be opened to you...you're my friends if you follow me. I don't call you servants, but I call you friends"-(Matt 11:28/John 6:37/Matt 7:7/John 14:2)
farmerman

Tue 3 Dec, 2013 11:08 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
jesus never had wifi. He hadda plug in at the TEmple and you know what happens when he goes to Temple. He gets all full of himself and starts kickin ass.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 3 Dec, 2013 11:08 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
So, you don't grasp sarcasm.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 3 Dec, 2013 11:21 am
@glitterbag,
Uhm . . . are you aware that Mr. Goldman (who probably has serious mental health problems) has not posted here in almost two years? His last post was December 18, 2011.
panzade

Tue 3 Dec, 2013 11:34 am
@Setanta,
Move along...nothing to see here...
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 3 Dec, 2013 11:45 am
@Setanta,
Ahhhhh, actually yes. Ive seen his complaints about trying to connect with believers, I gather he is very disappointed. My post was written tongue in cheek, but it wasn't clear if Romeo saw it that way. I suppose I need to explain the joke thing, but it's not funny if it has to be explained.
Setanta

Tue 3 Dec, 2013 12:01 pm
@glitterbag,
If you knew he hadn't been here in almost two years, why were you talking to him?