Weird Stuff on Cable

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 01:27 pm
@mismi,
Ripley's had nothing on this show! It was unrated and showed a penis piercing and labia piercing and implants and a tongue actually being split...oh it was graphic.
Roberta

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 01:59 am
@Bella Dea,
Thud! Not for the faint of heart.

Forgot about the weight loss shows. The Biggest Loser isn't on cable, but I think it's got sufficient weirdness to be included. Actually, it's not so much weird, but it pisses me off. Good enough.

This show touts health. Good eating. Exercise. HEALTH. The people who show up are in dire need of HELP. Why is this a contest in which participants are sent home!? If they're so damned concerned with health, find another way to penalize people. Shame on them.

A show called Heavy appears on cable. No contest. Two enormously obese people go to a health place for six months. No competition. They exercise. They learn about nutrition. They get counseling to try to understand the factors that caused them to gain weight. The two people leave thinner, wiser, and healthier. I watch this.

There are a few other weight loss shows on cable. I haven't watched. One is about overweight teenagers.

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 06:12 am
@Roberta,
Yes, and how healthy is it, ultimately, to lose that much weight in that short of a time? Not very.

Another thread reminded me of "It's Me or The Dog," I haven't come across that show in a while (these days, almost everything I watch is whatever happens to be on when I have a minute and turn on the TV), but I really like it. Victoria and Tabatha have a lot in common IMO, especially how Victoria has some real insights about the families she is dealing with, not just the dogs themselves. (And she's very, very good with the dogs.)
Roberta

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 07:10 am
@sozobe,
soz, I don't like her approach to training, although I do think she gets the job done. I prefer Cesar Milan. He too has a good sense of the people involved. He's not so much interested in "training" as behavior.

I don't know how healthy it is to lose that much weight that fast. I did it. Two bouts of radiation. No dieting, no exercise. Thomas thinks I should start the Roberta diet. I don't think there's a big call for this particular approach. BTW, I gained a lot back when I was on the damned steroids. Not all, but more than I would have liked.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 08:10 pm
I've never seen it (know who Snookie is, though), but this cable show has managed to rilly, rilly piss off some Italians...

'When I see this, I wonder whether Bin Laden had a point': Italy reels in horror as Jersey Shore finally hits airwaves.
firefly

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 07:59 pm
@Irishk,
This is incredible--that Snooki just got $32,000 for speaking at Rutgers. What is her appeal? Why would 2,000 people show up to to hear her speak?
Quote:
Snooki's $32,000 Payday to Speak at Rutgers Angers Parents
4/3/2011

"It's disgusting," one parent says of "Jersey Shore" star Nicole Polizzi's being paid $2,000 more than a Nobel Prize winner to speak on campus.

Parents of Rutgers University students are angry about school officials' decision to pay Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi $32,000 to appear on their campus last week.

The fee was $2,000 more than Nobel Prize-winning author Toni Morrison is receiving to speak at graduation May 15.

"It's disgusting," Nester Delgado, whose daughter is a freshman, told the New York Post. "Next year, is it going to be J-WOWW or the Situation?" Delgado added, referring to Polizzi's Jersey Shore castmates.

According to the Post, parents were especially upset that Polizzi got paid nearly $10,000 more than they pay annually to send one kid to Rutgers. Tuition and housing at the university is said to total more than $23,000.

Added Christine Getz, a part-time preschool teacher with two kids attending Rutgers: "I don't think she's a good representation of a role model for my kids."

A reported 2,000 people came to the university to hear Polizzi speak Thursday. Among the pearls of wisdom she dispensed: "Study hard, but party harder" and "When you're tan, you feel better about yourself."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/snookis-32000-payday-speak-at-174221

Irishk

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 01:26 pm
@firefly,
I saw a little of that ridiculousness on the news...they were mocking Snookie. Still, I think it's one thing to irritate a single university...and a whole 'nother to piss off an entire country. I feel the need to apologize to the Italians! (Snookie isn't really an Italian, though, I don't think).
Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 02:49 am
I'm reviving this thread for a report.

I stumbled upon a show that could be some kinda new low.

The show is called Whiskers. Lest you think that I'm talking about cats, you can dispense with that idea immediately.

It's about beards and facial hair. There's an entire world of men who do more than groom. The grow, they carve, they shape, they spray, they obsess, they primp, they trim, they preen. They join organizations. They have local, national, and international contests. And they figure out ways to eat without getting too much food in their hair--or too much hair in their food. Yes, I man with a large mustache gave a demo of taking a mouthful of food.

At the international level, the Germans always win.

But the most recent world champ of the full beard category was an American--for the first time. He's mystified why he isn't more famous. He's arrogant. He resents all the other beardies. He's a terrible bore. But he has a helluva beard.

It's not enough that there are these semi-meshuginas wandering around. They gotta put a series on TV?

--------------------------------------

It's the end of shark week. I'm about jawed out. I'd like to congratulate the Discovery Channel for letting people know that there is more than one kind of shark. Yes, great whites are tres impressive, but they ain't the only fish in the sea.

farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 03:13 am
@Roberta,
I see that the barrels botto\m keeps getting plumbed by cable TV. There is a show that follows a pest control dude all over Florida (Where the selection of bugs is probably one of the highest in the world). The pest control dude is kinda creepy himself and he sort of obsesses about the **** hes asked to kill or remove. I guess you have to be a little squirrely to do a job like that. I watched it once and was called to watch another episode. Same **** , different bug. Once you see one show, youve sorta got the whole concept.

Apparently the people that like these shows dont really care that each show is exactly the same as the last.
I dont know why they dont have a series on extreme dinosaur expeditions or "Appalachian Trail hiking contest" or.

HOW about APE WEEK?
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2011 10:54 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

I saw a little of that ridiculousness on the news...they were mocking Snookie. Still, I think it's one thing to irritate a single university...and a whole 'nother to piss off an entire country. I feel the need to apologize to the Italians! (Snookie isn't really an Italian, though, I don't think).
I believe she would be technically classified as an oompa loompa... Which is of course offensive to oompa loompas.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 01:19 am
Back to report on Hillbilly Hand Fishing on Animal Planet.

I have never watched this show, but I've seen promos. People klomping around in the water. Then one of them pulls up a large catfish. No rod, no reel. Just hands.

I'd consider this a new low, but the beard show is still numero uno in my book.
mags314772

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 08:13 am
@Roberta,
I was just going to add Hillbilly Hand Fishing. Roberta. I've only seen promos, too, but I think that's enough to judge the program's lack of merit.

Has anyone seen Ru Paul's "Drag U"? It seems to e about drag queens dressing up women who want to look like drag queens.
Roberta

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 12:39 am
@mags314772,
I caught one episode a long time ago. I was stunned to see Ru Paul in a suit.

Is this show still on?
Ragman

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 12:47 am
@Roberta,
Drinking Made Easy.
(Think about it!)

Actually, it is a little bit funny...watch it once and see.
Roberta

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 12:52 am
@Ragman,
This is an actual show? What station is in on?

Is the booze given intravenously? I'm curious.
Ragman

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 01:01 am
@Roberta,
The cable channel it's on is called HDNet. This gem is now in its second season. new episodes of "Drinking Made Easy" every Wednesday night at 8:30pm ET (only on HDNet).

"Join Zane Lamprey, Steve McKenna and Marc Ryan on “Drinking Made Easy” and follow the boys as they hit up local watering holes, pubs, bars, restaurants, breweries, wineries and distilleries in an attempt to find the most unique and interesting beers, wines and spirits, and cocktails across this great country of ours."

The amiable host and his weird bearded, side-kick take you to some bar or brewery. There the owner or bartender provides some special brewed beer or specialty drink. Then these two guys act like college sophomores and have a tasting (mini-drinking contest). No, the show is not sponsored by MADD.

Just to give you a clue of the demographics of the watchers, this show is usually preceded or comes after Girls Gone Wild, a show which is in a category of its own.
Roberta

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 02:16 am
@Ragman,
I don't think I get HDNet.

Such is life.

Not sure I'd like the show, but I'd like the chance to achieve some kinda new low in my viewing. Not that there aren't sufficient opportunities. But I'm picky, even with the dregs of tv.
Ragman

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 02:22 am
@Roberta,
Sometimes I like skimming what different kinds of shows there are. It amazes me that someone actually gets funding for putting these shows on the tube. Kind of fascinating from a sociological standpoint. a decision is made somewhere that these shows have value.

Still like that show about Dirtiest Jobs with Mike Rowe.

Further, I like the one the film on the fishing boat where they catch and trap king crab in Alaska. Deadliest Catch on Discovery Channel.

Ice Road Truckers on History Channel is amazing, too. These trucking contractors haul heavy loads up around the frozen reaches 250 miles north of Arctic Circle in Alaska. Sometimes they're driving these massive oversized loads on snowpacked roads, sheer ice or on frozen lakes. Yeah, right?!
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 10:55 am
@Roberta,
still on
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 03:56 pm
Flipping around in the wee hours of the morning. I discovered what I believe to be a new low. Of course, they keep lowering the floor, so low today is medium tomorrow.

LFL. Lingerie Football League.

Women in their underwear with football padding arranged so as not to cover over anything interesting are playing full-contact football.

I didn't watch, but I saw ads for the show.