The usual suspects were on the bandwagon all along

MichaelAllen

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 11:50 am
Now if it comes out that Bush and Bin Laden are connected, I'm moving to an unregistered country and putting in a bar stocked with bootlegged vodka from Russia just to smash my chronic headaches.

To listen to Michael Moore speak, he's convincing. Thought of the day: on the 12th and 13th of September, the only people allowed to fly in America were Bin Ladens. A plane went around the nation to pick them all up and flew to Boston where they got a leg the heck out of here. I'd like to see some verification of that. If it's true...

Oh, twist the dagger even more. I think it's actually starting to feel good.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 02:28 pm
Relevant to the topic of the thread (i.e., whether there was Saddam/Al-Qaeda co-operation, resp. whether there is any now in the insurgency) - of course, its still down to speculating one way or another -

Quote:
Hussein Warned Iraqis to Beware Outside Fighters, Document Says

WASHINGTON, Jan. 13 — Saddam Hussein warned his Iraqi supporters to be wary of joining forces with foreign Arab fighters entering Iraq to battle American troops, according to a document found with the former Iraqi leader when he was captured, Bush administration officials said Tuesday.

The document appears to be a directive, written after he lost power, from Mr. Hussein to leaders of the Iraqi resistance, counseling caution against getting too close to Islamic jihadists and other foreign Arabs coming into occupied Iraq, according to American officials.

It provides a second piece of evidence challenging the Bush administration contention of close cooperation between Mr. Hussein's government and terrorists from Al Qaeda. C.I.A. interrogators have already elicited from the top Qaeda officials in custody that, before the American-led invasion, Osama bin Laden had rejected entreaties from some of his lieutenants to work jointly with Mr. Hussein.

Officials said Mr. Hussein apparently believed that the foreign Arabs, eager for a holy war against the West, had a different agenda from the Baathists, who were eager for their own return to power in Baghdad. As a result, he wanted his supporters to be careful about becoming close allies with the jihadists, officials familiar with the document said. [..]

The role of foreign Arab fighters in the Iraqi resistance to the American-led occupation has been a source of debate within the American government ever since the fall of Baghdad in April. Initially, American analysts feared that thousands of fighters would flood into Iraq, seeking an Islamic jihad in much the same way an earlier generation of Arabs traveled to Afghanistan in the 1980's to fight the Soviet occupation.

Military and intelligence officials now believe that the number of foreign fighters who have entered Iraq is relatively small. American military units posted along the border to screen against such an influx have reported that they have seen few signs of foreign fighters trying to cross the border.

In December, American military officials in Iraq estimated that foreign fighters accounted for no more than 10 percent of the insurgency, and some officials now believe that even that figure may be too high. [..]

Another unresolved issue has been the level of coordination between foreign fighters and Iraqi insurgents, many of whom are former members of Mr. Hussein's security apparatus. Military and intelligence officials say they have detected cooperation at the tactical level, on individual attacks, but have less evidence of any coordination at a broader strategic level. [..]

In addition to its value in understanding the nature of the enemy that American and allied troops now confront in Iraq, the document found with Mr. Hussein could also be grist for further debate about his relationship with Islamic fundamentalists.

As President Bush sought to build a case for war with Iraq, one of the most hotly debated issues was whether Mr. Hussein was in league with Mr. bin Laden and Al Qaeda. Senior officials at the Pentagon who were certain that the evidence of connections between Iraq and Al Qaeda were strong and compelling found themselves at war with analysts at the C.I.A. who believed that the evidence showed some contacts between Baghdad and the terrorist organization, but not an operational alliance.

At the Pentagon, several officials believed that Iraq and Al Qaeda had found common ground in their hatred of the United States, while at the C.I.A., many analysts believed that Mr. bin Laden saw Mr. Hussein as one of the corrupt secular Arab leaders who should be toppled.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 04:55 pm
Saturday our local paper printed news of our 500th military death on page A13 in the middle of the paper. 28 pages in A section. More liberal trickery. This seems to be old unimportant news to our liberal paper. It must be liberal because they print Molley Ivans once a month. Guess who they print the other 29 days?
0 Replies