I'm writing a book

George

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 07:43 pm
@Diane,
Diane wrote:
Dear Ionus, be careful what you wish for. Dys has way more than a trilogy in him.

Fiber will help that.
Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 04:03 am
@George,
Quote:
Fiber will help that.

Leave it to Beaver ???? (fiber is Latin for beaver)
RexRed

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 05:14 am
Sometimes I feel like a perfect pearl in a warped mirror. If there is a disorder in that let me know. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 05:16 am
@Ionus,
Bullshit . . . castor is the Latin word for beaver. You just make it up as you go along, huh?
Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 05:17 am
@Diane,
. . . pain in the . . .
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 05:25 am
@Setanta,
maybe he meant Biber, which is German for beaver and, what with his overbite, it just sounds like fibre.
Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 06:58 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
But the etymological truth is that beaver is an animal name widespread throughout the Indo-European family of languages, for example:

* beofor, Old English
* Biber, Modern German
* bebrus, Lithuanian
* bebru-, Old Slavic
* babhrus , Sanskrit ‘brown’
* fiber, Old Latin ‘beaver’

Note that fibra ‘fiber, filament’ is a Latin word from a different root. Note also that fiber is pure ancient Latin. In fact, as happened frequently in the history of the Latin language, the native Latin word fiber was replaced when Romans borrowed the Greek word for beaver, kastor. Roman authors writing Classical Latin like Cicero, Pliny and Ovid used the word castor to mean beaver far more often than fiber.

I'll expect an apology from both you two dickheads if you are man enough to give one.....given your inferiority and over compensating, I expect you will just slink off like you usually do.

Quote:
You just make it up as you go along, huh?
You just get it wrong time and time again....arent you sick of publicly displaying your stupidity, **** for brains ?? I know Gomer the Turd isnt.....
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 07:43 am
@Setanta,
Did you get all wussy?
Tai Chi

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 08:14 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

maybe he meant Biber, which is German for beaver and, what with his overbite, it just sounds like fibre.

All is explained! For months I kept hearing about this new young pop music phenomenon Justin Beaver -- figured he was a native Canadian maybe. Oh yeah, I was the laughingstock of the tweens of my acquaintance.
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 08:14 am
@Diane,
I owe nothing to an ANUS, Everything I said was correct . Perhaps I was too harsh to bring attention to his overbite. OK ANUS, Im sorry you have an overbite.

PS
You are both correct except for the fact that ANUS was only thinking species (fibre) is the Eurasian beaver (OF THECASTOR GENUS. WHereas fibre[/] is the species name for just the Eurasian form . Whereas the North AMerican beaver is CASTOR canadensis. Ya can latinize anything . The etymologist is just another blogger with minimal skills in binomial nomenclature. Too bad that ANUS doesnt spend more time delving deeper into the sources of words.
Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 08:26 am
@Diane,
Naw, i just choose my battles . . .
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 03:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I owe nothing to an ANUS, Everything I said was correct .
Perhaps I was too harsh to bring attention to his overbite. OK ANUS, Im sorry you have an overbite.
How do u know of the deployment of his teeth ?
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 04:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Im pitchin but you aint seemin to be catching Dave.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 04:27 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Im pitchin but you aint seemin to be catching Dave.
Ergo the foregoing request for elucidation. . . .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 05:04 pm
@farmerman,
Look Gomer the Turd, you were wrong . The latin for beaver is fiber...later the greek word kastor.....latinised to castor.....was used as well . Just apologise for supporting **** for Brains because it seemed like he had someone on the ropes and you love a good kicking to someone else's ego .

The spin you put on crap is amazing . Do you think anybody believes that bullshit ?? You have a crippled arm, you are overweight, you are getting old and some of your faculties are slipping but why make yourself look arrogant and foolish by serving that huge ego another dose of defensive lies ?? Why cant you admit when you are wrong ?? What an arsehole you are...
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 05:05 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Naw, i just choose my battles . . .
You mean your ego loves you when you think someone is down and you can kick them . Just apologise dickhead....
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 05:10 pm
Gomer the Turd and **** for Brains are not men . They get all important if they think they are right . Their egos are so delicate like the little flowers they are that if they think someone is wrong they cant help themselves but attack with insults . When they are proven wrong (many many times) **** for Brains runs away to cry and Gomer the Turd pleads it wasnt his fault, that the facts were wrong . THIS is pathetic overcompensating .
Ionus

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 05:12 pm
@Tai Chi,
The odds were on your side...there are over a thousand place names in Canada with beaver in the title .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 05:21 pm
@farmerman,
He has no resemblance to Justin Bieber, silly.
(oops, late on that one, hi, Tai)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 06:06 pm
@Ionus,
Everything I said was correct, you seem to be humor challenged (a common occurence with the uneducated). When I accused you of mispronouncing Biber as Fiber due to your OVERBITE, I was referring to your squirrel w/ a machine gun avvie. However , you seem so damned touchy with people you fear , you miss all attempts at humor.

Biber IS german fro brown beaver.

CAstor is the generic name that was chosen for ALL beavers in the world. (The latin word "fiber" actually means more like "BROWN" , so its not a true descriptor of the animal. Thats why the binomial nomenclature has established the names of the species

NorthAmeircan is called CASTOR canadensis, (now you dont think that Canadensis means beaver do you?)

Castor fiber is the "brown beaver of Eurasia"
Ancient beavers were given totally different generic names and only the,last (of the megafaunal kinds) like CAstor Ohioensis were even of the same genus.
The species name is usually a descriptor(an adjective of the genus propwer). So it is with Castor fiber. the fact that it has a latin root means that the etymologist you read, didnt complete his homework thats all.