hamster cravings

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 03:45 pm
This has happened to me before as an a2k experience, after my seeing bunches of cute hamster photos. I quelled it last time. But I'm afraid I'm growing to love hamsters.

My only personal knowledge of them in my now getting longish life is that one died in my cousin's car on some trip with her husband and young sons.. not very personal, but personal enough that I remember that story.

Anyone here have a furry hamster background? I have avoided getting another pet, even a rescue, given my lack of ability to pay vet bills. But, I'm wondering...

Um, does one hamster get lonely? Do two of the same gender engage in social warfare? I'm presently contemplating one, but not several, much less many.

I know I can google this, but I'd rather hear from a2kers.

Tell me hamster stories..

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,886 • Replies: 25

Green Witch

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 03:50 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't know much, but I think they are a good inexpensive pet. Plus, they are sort of the corgis of the rodent world.
sozobe

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 04:03 pm
@ossobuco,
I tend to be good with animals. Not hamsters. They bite me. (It may be one of those things where I initially encountered a rogue hamster that then instilled a fear of all hamsters, and then my fear makes me get bitten again. But they scare me.)
Linkat

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 04:03 pm
@ossobuco,
I've had several hamsters. They do fine alone and I think it is preferred. I once at two at the same the time and they'd sometimes fight.

The best for entertainment with a hamster - for you and your furry friend - is one of those clear plastic balls. You put him in and he runs and runs all over the place and loves it. Just keep away from stairs as that would be ugly.

My hamster loved the thing so much - all I'd do was put my hand out, he'd jump on my palm, I'd carry him to the open ball and he'd jump right in.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 04:04 pm
@sozobe,
They will bite if not tamed. When you purchase from a pet store do make sure they are tame - they can be mean little buggers otherwise.
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:01 pm
@Linkat,
I hate thelittle rats. They boite like hell and love to gnaw on the flesh. Stephen King could write a good story about a person obsessed with hamsters. Then he keeps buying more until, with aminimal "critical mass" of hamsters, they develop a language, a system of order and a firm resolution to do away with the guy who has imprisoned them.

They dont taste bad though, lotsa dark meat.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:13 pm
Food for thought...
roger

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Next time I'm down that way, we are going out to eat.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:57 pm
@roger,
What, no hamsterburgers?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 08:58 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
I don't know much, but I think they are a good inexpensive pet. Plus, they are sort of the corgis of the rodent world.
Around 1947, one of my tenants had hamsters.
I thawt thay were cute.

Maybe I shoud get some.
I don 't travel quite as much as I used to; slowing down.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 09:01 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I hate thelittle rats.
Racist prejudice.
Ragman

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 04:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Watching David taking aim at the hamster with his 30 ought 6. (like it even needs any aiming). Evil or Very Mad
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 08:58 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Watching David taking aim at the hamster with his 30 ought 6. (like it even needs any aiming). Evil or Very Mad
Rifles must be aimed, to hit a target.

Even shotguns shoud be pointed in the right general direction.

I will not assassinate a hamster.

(A .30-'06 is a .30 caliber rifle.)

David
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2011 09:04 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I hate thelittle rats. They boite like hell and love to gnaw on the flesh. Stephen King could write a good story about a person obsessed with hamsters. Then he keeps buying more until, with aminimal "critical mass" of hamsters, they develop a language, a system of order and a firm resolution to do away with the guy who has imprisoned them.

They dont taste bad though, lotsa dark meat.

This bodes ill for A2k.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:43 pm
@farmerman,
Wasn't there a movie called "Willard" and then a follow up called "Ben" same theory, but with rats.
farmerman

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 03:15 pm
@Linkat,
I seem to recall the Willard movie but I did not see the sequel. I mean, after rats eat a kid, what can you follow that up with?
(unless of course it was ZOMBIE rats, whose taste for flesh and brains could not be assuaged.)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 03:49 pm
@farmerman,
I never saw the movie, Willard. Why would I watch that? (oh, never mind).
dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 04:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Go to your local pet shop and handle some hamsters.
oolongteasup

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 06:59 pm
@dlowan,
Animals love me.

And I love them.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:01 pm
@oolongteasup,
Uh oh, I may listen to you two.

If I don't it's all about money.

0 Replies