If someone is against abortion...

maxdancona

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 05:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, you are really missing the point. Let me try to explain this again.

It is one thing to be against abortion. I believe that abortions should be safe and legal. I also understand that people feel very strongly that abortion should be illegal, and I respect this. I myself believe that abortions should be rare.

But whether abortion should be legal or not isn't the point of this thread.

The issue is that the conservative republicans are attacking birth control. Their policies would cut money from birth control and sex education. This might be the part you don't understand. Birth control greatly reduces the number of unwanted pregnancies which reduces the number of abortions.

Being against abortion is one thing, I respect this opinion even though I don't completely agree with it.

Being against abortion while pushing cuts in birth control is just plain stupid.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 05:52 pm
@maxdancona,
Obviously, Max...

I used to be catholic seemingly a hundred years ago and well remember the proscriptions, especially from the now Benedict. Even Benedict slightly backed off recently, something about different outcomes from condom use including disease control. That's not a quote, just what I remember as the jist in certain circumstances.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 09:28 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Doesn't a good, fair, just, civilized society protect it's most vulnerable? We pay hundreds of millions of dollars each year in this nation to give attorneys to people who can't afford it so they can be represented fairly and "have a voice" doesn't that extend to the unborn?
maxdancona wrote:
Please just answer this simple question.

Should we, as a society, pay money to prevent abortions from happening?
NO.

maxdancona wrote:
I am willing to have my taxpayer dollars go toward preventing abortions, are you?
ABSOLUTELY NOT.
I support freedom of abortion and the 13th Amendment.

boomerang

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, I think you're misinterpreting what Max is saying....

Max isn't anti-abortion. He'd just rather pay for birth control than abortion.

But (I'm guessing) he'd rather pay for a woman to have an abortion than to pay to raise her child that she didn't want (foster care or whatever).

I believe he's saying that paying for birth control is better than paying for abortion is better than paying the lifelong consequences of child abuse and neglect and it's attendant problems caused by forcing women to have children that they don't want to have.

If so, I believe Max is right -- if you're going to have to pay, pay for the most cost effective thing that does the least damage.

You seem like the kind of person who would agree with that.

Am I right?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:20 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
David, I think you're misinterpreting what Max is saying....

Max isn't anti-abortion. He'd just rather pay for birth control than abortion.

But (I'm guessing) he'd rather pay for a woman to have an abortion than to pay to raise her child that she didn't want (foster care or whatever).

I believe he's saying that paying for birth control is better than paying for abortion is better than paying the lifelong consequences of child abuse and neglect and it's attendant problems caused by forcing women to have children that they don't want to have.

If so, I believe Max is right -- if you're going to have to pay, pay for the most cost effective thing that does the least damage.

You seem like the kind of person who would agree with that.

Am I right?
Absolutely, YES, boomer!

David
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2011 08:13 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Obviously, Max...

I used to be catholic seemingly a hundred years ago and well remember the proscriptions, especially from the now Benedict. Even Benedict slightly backed off recently, something about different outcomes from condom use including disease control. That's not a quote, just what I remember as the jist in certain circumstances.

Honestly?

I have never met a catholic woman that was of my age or younger that wasn't on birth control themselves, or had no problem with someone being on it.

Birth control pills and condoms are the elephant in the room in regards to the catholic church. Everyoneone uses it, and no one talks about it.

I don't even know why I don't consider myself a catholic, or when I stopped. One thing that definatley didn't make me move from the church was it's official position on birth control.
From what I can see, it's always been a non-issue, since the pope never hangs out in people bedrooms, as far as I know.
0 Replies