Any Asians here? I want to ask a question about Asians and skin color.

FBM

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 12:50 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Some Chinese I met call themselves yellow.

I don't think yellow is an offensive color in East Asian culture, so I don't know any reason why they'd object to it. They call me 'white', and I'm definitely not the color of a sheet of printer paper.

That said, individual variations do occur. I'd ask any individual his/her take on the matter before using a color word to describe his/her skin color. When I'm talking to Koreans, I use 'darker skin' or 'lighter skin' unless one of them uses a color word first.

Incidentally, SE Asians commonly refer to Koreans as the "white Asians".
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 01:15 am
@Ceili,
What you said about my eyesight wasn't nice. The point I was making is just like there's shades of skin tones in the black race and in the Hispanic race-there's skin tones in the Asian race. People stereotype and assume all Asians have yellow skin. The Asians I spoke to used the term yellow.

Color is subjective. I have seen Asians describe themselves as beige. If orange is offensive I won't say orange-I'll say beige.

I'm not making a big to do over people's skin color.

I'm an African-American with fair skin-my skin is yellowish.

If I offended you or anyone else here, I apologize- that was not my intention.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 03:02 am
I am talking about people's skin tones and the terms they use for them-how am I being racist?
FBM

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 03:26 am
@JGoldman10,
I don't see anything racist in what you've written. If you had been attributing certain characteristics to people based on their race, that'd be racist. But you haven't, as far as I can tell.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:05 am
@FBM,
Thank you-that didn't warrant Ceili getting nasty. I don't know if that girl was joking around or not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:17 am
@JGoldman10,
From your link, clown:

Quote:
Today, the term is regarded by some as potentially offensive.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:46 pm
@Setanta,
Excuse me, how am I being a clown? I was trying to have a SERIOUS discussion about race and skin color.

Talking about skin color automatically makes me a racist?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:47 pm
@Butrflynet,
YOur question makes no sense, and that's not what I was going to ask.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:47 pm
@Setanta,
Asian- East Asian, South Asian.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 03:10 pm
One Asian girl just told me it's not offensive to post a pic of someone and say they have orange skin.
MonaLeeza

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 03:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

One Asian girl just told me it's not offensive to post a pic of someone and say they have orange skin.

That's just one opinion. My husband is Asian and my teenage daughter has the skin colour you've been describing as orange. I asked her last night what she thought about being described as orange and she said ''What!? What a dickhead!' Not her most articulate moment - but you get the point.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:09 pm
@MonaLeeza,
Thank you. Can you please ask her about being called beige?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:10 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Can you ask her about being called beige?

This tone-deafness you're displaying on the subject is stunning

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:39 pm
@spidergal,
you look almost exactly the same color as the flesh colord crayola crayon. You're also a very attractive young lady. Carry on.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:41 pm
I think if God had been on top of his game he would have made people really bright interesting colors. Forest Green, Teal, Fire Engine Red, Hot Pink, Deep Magenta.

Captain Kirk wouldn't know where to start.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:24 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

you look almost exactly the same color as the flesh colord crayola crayon. You're also a very attractive young lady. Carry on.

Crayola changed the name of that crayon to "peach" some time ago.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:26 pm
@InfraBlue,
well....

I'm guessing it's been a while since ol' bear sat down with his crayolas to color a picture.

he's almost 80, you know...
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:30 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
This sounds like an old episode of Oprah, in which they discussed race and skin tones-why is it they call bandages "flesh-colored" when not everyone has that same color skin as that bandage?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:31 pm
@Rockhead,
I am reliably informed that, yes, asians do have skin color.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Asians don't all have yellowish skin like a lot of people think. Some have white skin, some have brown, and some have beige.