Any Asians here? I want to ask a question about Asians and skin color.

Rockhead

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:36 pm
@JGoldman10,
ecru?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:36 pm
@JGoldman10,
But they all have skin color. Don't **** me.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
WE KNOW THAT.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:41 pm
@Rockhead,
Can I say beige? Is that the term Asian people use to describe the skin tone I am talking about?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:45 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

blueveinedthrobber wrote:

you look almost exactly the same color as the flesh colord crayola crayon. You're also a very attractive young lady. Carry on.

Crayola changed the name of that crayon to "peach" some time ago.

well then she's quite a peach
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:46 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

well....

I'm guessing it's been a while since ol' bear sat down with his crayolas to color a picture.

he's almost 80, you know...

really, i bet he writes all his letters to his congressman in crayon
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:47 pm
@spidergal,
Would you be offended if I said you had beige skin?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 06:10 pm
@Setanta,
The media tries to get people of color to conform to Eurocentric standards of beauty-what's the point you're trying to convey?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 06:44 pm
@MonaLeeza,
Ok, you made me laugh, MonaLeeza.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 06:53 pm
@InfraBlue,
Interesting. I used to have buckets full of colored pencils for presentation drawings, and I somewhat remember the color on some pencils marked as "flesh".

This makes me realize there is a simple answer to JGoldman's conundrum. He should go to a paint store and take sample paint chips from different paint companies, and use those names. That would be hilarious, just right for a comic, eh? Snort.. the old benjamin moore color, for example - "melon popsicle". Or, "whispering peach"...
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 06:55 pm
@ossobuco,
CAN I SAY THAT SOME DARK SKINNED ASIANS HAVE BEIGE SKIN? OR IS THAT OFFENSIVE TO THEM?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 07:05 pm
@JGoldman10,
I don't know, not being asian myself.
(Oh, but some of my best friends.. Never mind, that is sort of an in joke)

I do know that I was having a conversation with a contractor that worked for me about colors and I mentioned not liking beige myself (I was at the time quite sick of beige housing tracts, indeed whole communities painted beige. Hah, now I live in a beige house. That serves me right.) Anyway, the contractor said, "what's beige?"
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 07:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Ceili said brown or cream:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_(colour)
Cream is the colour of the cream produced by cattle grazing on natural pasture with plants rich in yellow carotenoid pigments, some of which are incorporated into the cream, to give a slight yellow tone to the white. Used as a skin tone in some forms of art, mostly Anime.

cream is yellow.

Beige is a light shade of brown.

She is ONE ASIAN PERSON- her views don't reflect the views of other Asians.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 07:21 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
ecru?

I used ecru on the walls in a couple of rooms but it went on a lot

darker than it looked in the can and I was left pondering the dirty flax that is unbleached linen

so I used a rather fetching china white for the main living areas.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 07:30 pm
Okay, I'm Asian, and I'll add my 2 Cents here.

Yellow is fine, but that negates all the other "colors" of so-called Asians. Indians are Asians, and they are usually darker in skin color - some approaching the color of blacks.

What do you call a white person married to a black, Hispanic, or Asian? Are they still white? How about their children? Can you really generalize and say they are white?

Try this one for fact; many of our children are married to Caucasians (they include English, German, Dutch, and Italian) Polynesians, Hispanics, and other Asians.

What color would you call them?

What's so important about skin color - unless you wish to personally feel "superior" in your whiteness?

James Michener called the mixed breeds the "golden people." Why don't you just leave it at that!

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 07:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hello cicreone imposter, how are you?

I'm an African-American, I'm not white.

Here's my question to you:

These are the people I am talking about:
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/MAvericker/taiwanese_brides_099.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/MAvericker/B00005FJRU01LZZZZZZZ.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UwYPA_wnU8I/THLk7cxy-BI/AAAAAAAACgk/H8dKhgQiy2o/s1600/chinese+christian.jpg

Is it offensive to say these people have orange skin? It is is, what term should I use? Can someone please tell me what is the politically correct term? What terms do Asians use to describe these skin tones?

I went elsewhere and was told brown and cream are terms some people use. Is it offensive to Asians to say these people have beige skin?

These people are mixed race?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 07:54 pm
@JGoldman10,
I don't understand why you are hung up on the color of skin. It's not an important issue for most societies. Even in Costa Rica where whites and blacks mix very well, there is no discrimination of any kind. Even in countries like Vietnam where most people think are "yellow" Asians, there are some 54 different tribes in that country with every shade of skin color. I recently visited South India where Indians of every shade mix well with Europeans and other Asians.

I'm not sure why skin color is so important to you. In the "real" world, most people don't consider skin color to be important - or even need to be described.

Look at your own name; people can confuse you as a Jew. That really doesn't matter, does it? . There are many names that sound Jewish that can be other than Jewish. That really doesn't matter - to most people.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 08:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm an African-American male. I'm not Jewish because Jewish law dictates your mother has to be Jewish and my mother isn't.

I'm as Jewish as Whoopi Goldberg is (little joke there)- her real name is Carrie Johnson.

I'm not getting hung up on skin color. I make a comment elsewhere on an Asian forum that there were some orange-skinned Chinese people working in a local Chinese restaurant in my hometown and some people acted funny.

I was curious to know what's the PC term Asians use to describe the skin tones of those people I showed you.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 08:02 pm
@JGoldman10,
that fake tan stuff makes you orange, maybe they had been using that...
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 08:16 pm
I think I found the answer to my question:

http://blogs.voanews.com/student-union/category/culture-shock/page/2/

A Chinese girl is describing her skin and her sister's as beige skin.